Airsickness

redbaron32

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
redbaron32
Airsickness Help

I stumbled on this forum a few days ago and have really enjoyed reading through the threads. I wanted to pose a question about a problem that has plagued me since I began flying.

I got my PP SEL ten years ago and am now beginning serious instrument training. I have about 250 hours PIC.

Ever since I began flying, I have suffered with airsickness, usually not to the point of needing a sick sack (one occassion) but often to the point of feeling beyond miserable. Historically since getting my ticket, it has happened during my BFR or otherwise when an instructor is having me go through steep turns, multiple stalls, unusual attitudes or anything else that is violent and dizzying.

So now I am beginning my instrument training and out of about eight hours of dual training so far have felt ill a couple of times. It concerns me because:
-It greatly detracts from my enjoyment of flying
-It makes it very difficult to learn or perform when I feel like crap
-It makes me nervous of being in very turbulent actual conditions as PIC and feeling ill. It has never been so bad that I have felt in danger or not in control by any means, but I know IFR is a very different animal than VFR.

I have had some luck with the "Relief Band" that I always wear, but often it simply doesn't work.

SO, I am wondering if anyone out there has experienced this, beaten it or has any other tricks that could help.

It should be noted that I spend a lot of time on boats in all weather and do not ever suffer from sea-sickness. It is limited to airplanes when I'm either doing steep, constantly changing maneuvers or in long periods of turbulence.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

James

Last edited:
This probably won't help much but when I was on C-141s, after a major phase inspection we had to do a functional check flight, which involved a 60 degree bank, followed rapidly by a 60 degree bank in the other direction. Many times, one or both pilots and other crew members puked as they went through wings level. Many of these guys had well over 5000 hours. Sometimes there really is no immunity for rapid G changes.

Last edited:
You'll probably never get completely over it, I haven't, but the more hours you gain the less it becomes an issue. I believe anxiety is the major contributor to motion sickness with a minor role played by an overly sensitive vestibular system when it comes to flying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestibular_system

James,

I know that flight surgeons often told our students to drink real gingerale prior to lessons. Something about a naturally occuring substance that makes the inner ear less sensitive. It seemed to help a few of my sudents. Flying on an empty stomach was also discouraged.

Getting experience and building confidence will help a lot also.

Good Luck,

Mitch

Re: Airsickness Help

If the ReliefBand (the electronic one, right?) doesn't work, and crystallized ginger (you have tried that, haven't you? If not, give it a go!) doesn't work, man, I got nothing for ya! :(

Sorry!

STAY HYDRATED!!!! And eat a small meal before you go up. Dehydration and an empty stomach are an invitation for the airsick gremlins. Do not overdue the meal though, or else you'll just need a bigger bag than normal to hold it when it comes back to haunt you.

I've had the same problems (and never been seasick) and have to agree that stress is definitely a factor.

The Relief Band needs a setting higher than "4" to counter tension...say "50." Whether you survive the shock or not, you will feel no stress.

Ginger ale tastes good both ways.

Building hours definitely helps. Once you realize that every bump isn't going to send you spiraling to earth, the tension melts like crystallized ginger on a hot tin roof. Or something like that. :D (Tom...did you say you have COOKIES?)

Petra

I've been flying since 1969 and still have a problem with airsickness. Like you I don't puke, but it sucks all the fun out of a flight.

I even bought this electrocution watch from Aeromedic. Its a little watch like device that zaps a pressure point on your wrist with something like a micro-stun gun shock. It's suppose to relieve airsickness, but didn't work for me.

Jim, sorry to hear that the "electrocution watch" (kind of an exaggeration, there, bud!) didn't work for you. You're using the gel, putting enough on, getting it situated right, etc?

Back