Airports near Winter Garden, FL

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
I'm looking to fly from Louisiana to Winter Garden, FL for a weekend in order to see my nephew graduate. I was hoping to get PIREPs on the GA airports around the Orlando area. The fuel at KORL is showing $7.32/gal :)yikes:), but X04 (Orlando Apopka) is showing a more reasonable $5.61. I'll probably need a rental car as well.

The flight in my Sierra is at least 4 hours, so I'm going to need a place to stop about half-way in order to stretch our legs, refuel and have lunch. Maybe Destin or Pensacola?

I'm looking to fly from Louisiana to Winter Garden, FL for a weekend in order to see my nephew graduate. I was hoping to get PIREPs on the GA airports around the Orlando area. The fuel at KORL is showing $7.32/gal :)yikes:), but X04 (Orlando Apopka) is showing a more reasonable $5.61. I'll probably need a rental car as well.

The flight in my Sierra is at least 4 hours, so I'm going to need a place to stop about half-way in order to stretch our legs, refuel and have lunch. Maybe Destin or Pensacola?

I was part owner in X04 30 some years ago... it is a pretty good distance from Winter Garden... You can call the FBO @X04 but last time I looked they didn't have any rental cars.. Nice little airport though.:yesnod::yesnod:

X04 (Orlando Apopka)

Sorry for the aside...brings back memories. Took flight lessons many years ago in Orlando, and I was taken out to X04 during training. It used to be nicknamed "The Sidewalk" by my instructor, as at that time it was 27' wide (if I recall properly), and not very long. What stuck in my head was the wingtips extending out over the runway edge. Learning crosswind landings were fun! Now it's nearly 4000'x60', quite a bit more forgiving.

Apopka is probably you closest bet, although I'm not sure what they have for rental cars.

The gas at Bartow (BOW) was $5 a gallon when I filled up last week. Rental cars were available at the terminal as well, though the latter could be an artifact of Sun N Fun.

KLEE is probably your best bet. There are no services other than self serve fuel at X04. KISM and KORL are the next closest and you've already discounted KORL due to fuel prices. (There are self serve pumps a KORL which are cheaper, but you'll pay some kind of parking then.)

John

Great, thank you for the info so far. I can read over the Airnav info, but I find that the direct feedback (as shown above) is always more helpful.

I decided on KLEE based on the recommendations above, and besides getting to practice strong crosswind landings, everything worked out well. On the way back we even got to fly along the coast at about 1,000 feet, which made for some prime sight-seeing as well. Thanks again.

ranger jet center at kism has good prices

Back