Airports/Hangars near San Antonio, Tx?

Will Kumley

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Will
It is time for me to start thinking of my next set of military orders and I'm curious how difficult it is to get hangar space in the San Antonio, Tx area. It looks like there are quite a few airports and airparks surrounding KSAT but I know that an abundance of airports/airparks doesn't mean an abundance of hangars. Asking POA for some real world expectations if San Antonio is the next location.

Sorry but I don't have current knowledge. I tried to get into Bulverde Airpark (1TT8) two years ago but was put on the wait list. Timing didn't work out for me but it was about a 6 month wait.

I've always enjoyed KCVB. Just a 20 minute drive west of San Antonio. Excellent runway and good fuel prices. I hangar at KSKF (Kelly Field) now, but would choose KCVB if my current hangar wasn't so close. I last spoke to KCVB about 12-18 months ago and he had immediate availability. From their web site: The CVB has over 45 enclosed single aircraft hangar spaces and one set of open T-hangers. Many of the single aircraft hangars will accommodate twin engine and small corporate jet aircraft. Additionally, the Airport has three large hangars that will accommodate multiple aircraft. Tie down spots are available at minimal monthly cost. If you are interested in being placed on the hangar waiting list, contact the Airport Manager at 830-931-4090. The open T-Hangars are what we refer to as "hail sheds". Like a carport, but better than parking on the ramp. I've never seen them close to full capacity. Might be a temporary solution while waiting for an enclosed hangar.

Not good ime. The sat msa is large and traffic jammed, most crammed in the northern suburbs. Not all options are viable (for my distance taste), unless youre ok with driving 45+ minutes to the airplane. We also dont know how much youre willing to shell out each month to put a roof over your toy. Not all price points pencil out. Im also out of the shared hangar game (spendy, resale value impacting hangar rash is not a hypothetical in my lived experience), but i know a former coworker who used to hangar at kelly in that fashion for over 550 a month (pre covid though).

My wait when i had an airplane was around year and a half. That was years ago, population here has since jumped the shark. To call it a hangar was a stretch. Very poor condition (it flooded habitually). Hobson choices abound. By the time a (different) coworker of mine went asking a few years later the wait list had jumped to over two years and he told me the airport stopped taking names. He ended up hangaring in ksat at some ungodly amount and sida nonsense. Last i heard he was selling and getting out of dodge (thriving hobby dont ya know..), retiring and doing the 121 thing full time.

I believe some folks on here operate out of SSF, id be surprised if things are available there at any price, but doesnt hurt to ask i guess.

It is time for me to start thinking of my next set of military orders and I'm curious how difficult it is to get hangar space in the San Antonio, Tx area. It looks like there are quite a few airports and airparks surrounding KSAT but I know that an abundance of airports/airparks doesn't mean an abundance of hangars. Asking POA for some real world expectations if San Antonio is the next location.
What kind of plane?

We hangar at SSF in the community hangar for $350/mo, iirc. There’s usually room for one more, but alas, hangar rash will occur. For us it was a ding to the vertical stab; FBO paid for it to he fixed since they caused it (and are the only people allowed to move aircraft in that hangar).

There’s sometimes a private hangar that comes up, but you’ve gotta walk the airfield to see the for rent sign.

5C1 now has a 70-plane waitlist. A co-worked just bought an arrow and is keeping it at HYI until something comes up closer.

Sorry but I don't have current knowledge. I tried to get into Bulverde Airpark (1TT8) two years ago but was put on the wait list. Timing didn't work out for me but it was about a 6 month wait.

I've always enjoyed KCVB. Just a 20 minute drive west of San Antonio. Excellent runway and good fuel prices. I hangar at KSKF (Kelly Field) now, but would choose KCVB if my current hangar wasn't so close. I last spoke to KCVB about 12-18 months ago and he had immediate availability. From their web site: The CVB has over 45 enclosed single aircraft hangar spaces and one set of open T-hangers. Many of the single aircraft hangars will accommodate twin engine and small corporate jet aircraft. Additionally, the Airport has three large hangars that will accommodate multiple aircraft. Tie down spots are available at minimal monthly cost. If you are interested in being placed on the hangar waiting list, contact the Airport Manager at 830-931-4090. The open T-Hangars are what we refer to as "hail sheds". Like a carport, but better than parking on the ramp. I've never seen them close to full capacity. Might be a temporary solution while waiting for an enclosed hangar.
6 month wait isn't terrible in my book.

Not good ime. The sat msa is large and traffic jammed, most crammed in the northern suburbs. Not all options are viable (for my distance taste), unless youre ok with driving 45+ minutes to the airplane. We also dont know how much youre willing to shell out each month to put a roof over your toy. Not all price points pencil out. Im also out of the shared hangar game (spendy, resale value impacting hangar rash is not a hypothetical in my lived experience), but i know a former coworker who used to hangar at kelly in that fashion for over 550 a month (pre covid though).

My wait when i had an airplane was around year and a half. That was years ago, population here has since jumped the shark. To call it a hangar was a stretch. Very poor condition (it flooded habitually). Hobson choices abound. By the time a (different) coworker of mine went asking a few years later the wait list had jumped to over two years and he told me the airport stopped taking names. He ended up hangaring in ksat at some ungodly amount and sida nonsense. Last i heard he was selling and getting out of dodge (thriving hobby dont ya know..), retiring and doing the 121 thing full time.

I believe some folks on here operate out of SSF, id be surprised if things are available there at any price, but doesnt hurt to ask i guess.
SSF looks like it could be a good airport for sure. Busy airspace doesn't bother me. I'm just outside of LAX and depending on the route of flight I either get crushed with traffic or end up in no mans land.

I keep my DA40 at Kestrel Airpark (1T7), just north of Bulverde. Big hangars, but very expensive - I pay $900 a month for an 1800 square foot one, but my aircraft has a 40 foot wingspan, so I need a wide door opening. You might be able to find one to share up there. You could email the manager, Chris Boltz, and see if there are any tenants on field looking to share:

alohaaviationservices@gmail.com

SSF looks like it could be a good airport for sure. Busy airspace doesn't bother me. I'm just outside of LAX and depending on the route of flight I either get crushed with traffic or end up in no mans land.

The airspace isn’t really that busy, despite what it looks like on the chart.

Back