Airport temporary closing for auto racing.

I vote for holding a fly in at a racetrack now.

523d824000090.preview-300.jpg

The Cumberland, MD airport (located in WV) had a SCCA racing series from 1951 to 1971. This was a large event that brought lots of visitors and money to the city.

I dont think the airport would be any deader today if the city decided to close it for a weekend of racing once a year. On the contrary, it would probably the best thing that could happen to the place.

Later, between 2003 and 2013, there were regular autocross events on a section of pavement (old runway) separate from the movement area. The aiport board shut it down in 2014 'because the FAA doesn't allow it', but it turned out that that was not the case when someone bothered to ask them nicely. I dont think they are doing it anymore, but that's probably more of a function of the overall demise of motorsports in the area rather than an issue related to the airport.

I used to fly to F82 Lubbock Exec quite a bit years ago. They had races there and planning required CALLING the FBO to check the schedule way ahead of time (don't depend on the NOTAMS as they were only 24 hour notice). Also, most transients AC couldn't find the runway as all the paint was destroyed - they also put a guardrail up parallel to the taxiway that REALLY made distinguishing it as an airport from the air even harder. I guess if they need money badly, they'll rent the hangars as "U Store It" storage units and kick the planes out:eek::confused:

I consider it elitist to consider an airport the totally exclusive domain of airplanes. Especially when on a functional level, if organized properly, it represents very little to no inconvenience to an owner/operator.
It’s not elitist to use an airport for its intended purpose. I can assure you that most pilots would be quite ruffled, if they couldn’t take their airplane out on a beautiful Saturday morning, because a group of motorists had come in to use the airport for a drag strip / race track.

There are reasons the FAA does not want racing on airports. For one it accelerates wear and tear on that nice pavement we just paid for (don't forget where FAA funding comes from). Two it removes the utility of the airport. What if a Lifeflight needed to use that airport the day it's closed for racing? Not all flying is easily scheduled or recreational.

Fly at airports, race on tracks.

Any of you remember TV Tommy Ivo? He had a twin Beech, and frequently landed on race tracks. Not completely a special deal because he was rich and famous, or even that he had one of the fastest dragsters around. Several competitors in those days flew in.

I have landed on a race track, and raced on an airport. My brother's first trophy was won on FDK.

I watched sports car races on several airports, and public streets. Airports are much safer.

The airports had provisions for temporary stops of racing for arrivals and departures, but there could be 15 to 30 minute waits.

The Cumberland, MD airport (located in WV) had a SCCA racing series from 1951 to 1971. This was a large event that brought lots of visitors and money to the city.

I dont think the airport would be any deader today if the city decided to close it for a weekend of racing once a year. On the contrary, it would probably the best thing that could happen to the place.

Later, between 2003 and 2013, there were regular autocross events on a section of pavement (old runway) separate from the movement area. The aiport board shut it down in 2014 'because the FAA doesn't allow it', but it turned out that that was not the case when someone bothered to ask them nicely. I dont think they are doing it anymore, but that's probably more of a function of the overall demise of motorsports in the area rather than an issue related to the airport.

Wow..!!! Those were awesome.!! Really cool to see the old Corvettes, Cobras and Ferraris running on the track. Really interesting to see track workers standing next to the pavement during the race, helmets 4 inches taller than the roll bars and beehive hairdos....

So, what if they held the autocross event at airports with a separate runway/parallel runways? They might be able to set up the track so that the racing can be held without shutting down the entire airport, just one runway and ramp area/taxiway. Would that still ruffle feathers?

I am genuinely surprised and dissapointed in the amount of hate in this thread. As a member of the motorsports community, with a budding interest in general aviation, it's very discouraging to hear this kind of negativity and closed mindedness.

I certainly understand the idea that there may be inconveniences related to airport racing events. But if proper rules and organization is implemented it is a very minor and temporary inconvenience, in trade for very major benefits.

The financial one has been brought up already. Both activities require large amounts of long and straight tarmac. Pooling those resources can be a net benefit for everyone in the form of nicer airport facilities, and lower airport fees.

The claim that there is no crossover interest generated is absolutely ludicrous. Motorsports and aviation have always had an intimate cultural relationship. The V8 engine was popularized in the first place because of the radical and impressive WW2 aircraft. Motorsports has also looked closely towards the aviation industry for technical, and technological innovations. We use the term "aircraft-grade aluminum" in reference to the higher grade of aluminum used in aviation.

It is also a subjective opinion of mine that the majority of people I know in the motor sports industry have an interest in general aviation. However most don't know about the opportunities in experimental aircraft, or the relatively new light aircraft categories. The perception is that the general aviation class is too expensive, and that the ultralight is not really an airplane, or has opportunities to flex the technical mind with design and modification.

I can understand the attitude that some airports need to be available for airplanes 24/7/365. At the very least for aviation safety reasons. I do think the FAA could stand to allow racing one weekend a year for the smaller airports, even those involved in the AIP.

But if an airport stands to close due to financial issues, a partnership with the motorsports community can be a life saver. The motorsports community is having a difficult time with tracks financially staying open, not due to demand being too low, but due to regulatory and liability framework. Insurance costs, and operation restrictions, are prohibiting sustainability in anything but the strongest markets.

I'm sure you all know here, we don't get those either of those strips of tarmac back. They either sit dilapidated for decades, or get ripped up.

But they certainly don't open new ones.

Why can't we partner for mutual benefit?

As a current pilot and a former SCCA Solo II driver, I think this post needs a laugh track.

There are reasons the FAA does not want racing on airports. For one it accelerates wear and tear on that nice pavement we just paid for (don't forget where FAA funding comes from). Two it removes the utility of the airport. What if a Lifeflight needed to use that airport the day it's closed for racing? Not all flying is easily scheduled or recreational.

The enemy of runway pavement is water ingress, heavy commercial trucks, time and collectivists. I doubt a weekend of racing would shorten the lifespan of otherwise intact runway and taxiway surfaces. For the airport I mentioned earlier, all the medevacs are rotor-wing and out of the hospital, so closing a runway for a few hours wouldn't change a thing.

Closing an airport temporarily for a race is no different from closing a road for a triathlon or bicycle road-race.

27 seconds in the quarter? I thought Mooneys were fast! :D

I used to do autocrosses on the extended threshold of Camarillo's runway. Win/win...no wear & tear on the useful bits of the runway, and we got a close-up view of planes on final. Good additional revenue for the airport too.

Watching Sebring is always fun...I always imagine B-25 pilot trainees landing on the front straight in the 1940s.

One sport leaves straight skid marks. The other sport leaves curved skid marks. But they both leave skid marks.

One sport leaves straight skid marks. The other sport leaves curved skid marks. But they both leave skid marks.
Depends on the type of racing. Drag races leave straight marks (and a lot more of them).

Let's say you have 3 races per year at a typical airport. You'll probably have less, but let's go crazy.

Means you've commandeerred the airport for about 3 or maybe 4 hours in most cases. During that time, you've probably made it so that 1 or less planes could land.

And in turn, you made the owner of the airport and probably the FBO and other business a ton of money and potential new business.

I'm hard pressed to see the down side. Yeah, I used to race so I have a bias, but it's probably a fair bias because at least I can see both sides.

Back when I started with SCCA, which was the early 70's, there were still a few races being held at airports. Since then, there have been a surprising number of participant oriented race tracks built. Racing in that area nowadays is done at Summit Point Motorsports Park, which is about 80 miles away

Sometime back in the 80's Bobby Allison showed up for a match race (I believe with Gene Felton) at Road Atlanta in an Aerostar. He (or his pilot) used Road A's backstraight, which is neither straight or flat, as a runway. It was quite impressive watching him leave.

27 seconds in the quarter? I thought Mooneys were fast! :D

I used to do autocrosses on the extended threshold of Camarillo's runway. Win/win...no wear & tear on the useful bits of the runway, and we got a close-up view of planes on final. Good additional revenue for the airport too.

Watching Sebring is always fun...I always imagine B-25 pilot trainees landing on the front straight in the 1940s.

The first time I went to Sebring was 1973. They were still using part of the runways for a track then. Since that time they've built some additional surface so they don't use the active part of the airport any more. I drove the 12 hour track in an SCCA race back in 1996. It's kind of bewildering because of all the excess pavement that you don't use. I think there are still some autocrosses held at airports, but they usually use parking lots.

Depends on the type of racing. Drag races leave straight marks (and a lot more of them).

The only type of racing I've heard of using airports in recent history is top speed runs. That's like an extended drag race but without the need for burnouts. Those guys are looking for a long straight surface, and that type of racing is not very popular so there aren't any dedicated surfaces for them to use.

Sometime back in the 80's Bobby Allison showed up for a match race (I believe with Gene Felton) at Road Atlanta in an Aerostar. He (or his pilot) used Road A's backstraight, which is neither straight or flat, as a runway. It was quite impressive watching him leave.

I was up at Road Atlanta today, as a part of the Petit LeMans this Saturday, there was an opportunity to walk the track today. I did that, and got a good look at the back straight. It looks like there might be about 2500 feet of backstretch that was straight enough for an airplane to take off. It's a little bit uphill and has trees on each side, and there a bridge that's about 30 feet at its highest at the end. I have to think that Aerostar was light when they came in, that's not a lot of room for such an airplane, and left no margin for error or failure. It was fun to see, though.

Back