Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
Airport Manager
City of Conway, Arkansas[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Closing Date: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]November 15th, 2013[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please submit resume to: Human Resources Director, City of Conway, 1201 Oak Street, Conway, AR 72032. E-mail: lisa.williams@cityofconway.org; fax 501-513-3503. Submitted resumes will be subject to disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.[/FONT]

Bobby,

How far is it to the nearest beer from Conway again?

:rofl:

Catholics (like me) need not apply unless, of course, things have chaned. :wink2:

Think they forgot to list the pay and requirements???

Airport Manager
City of Conway, Arkansas[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Closing Date: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]November 15th, 2013[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please submit resume to: Human Resources Director, City of Conway, 1201 Oak Street, Conway, AR 72032. E-mail: lisa.williams@cityofconway.org; fax 501-513-3503. Submitted resumes will be subject to disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.[/FONT]

Only political hacks need apply.:yes::D

Think they forgot to list the pay and requirements???

There is a full page announcement. I cut and pasted the critical parts. Didn't think it was appropriate to post the whole thing. Figured that if you didn't have enough initiative to follow up, you probably weren't a good candidate.

I am the Russellville manager. I am not involved.

Last edited:
There is a full page announcement. I cut and pasted the critical parts. Didn't think it was appropriate to post the whole thing. Figured that if you didn't have enough initiative to follow up, you probably weren't a good candidate.
I have often used that strategy when hiring. Amazing how many fewer candidates you get but the average quality of those candidates is so much higher.

I heard they were going to make a "CSI Arkansas" - but they couldn't find any dental charts and the DNA was all the same.

I heard they were going to make a "CSI Arkansas" - but they couldn't find any dental charts and the DNA was all the same.

I always encourage people who bad mouth Arkansas. The more of them that we can discourage from moving here, the longer it will stay the wonderful place to live that it is.

Why did I make this da**ed post anyway. Next thing you know, some one will be on my case for being a grouch.

You are a grumpy old fart, Bobby!

But, at least Russellville has beer to help keep you subdued. ;)

I always encourage people who bad mouth Arkansas. The more of them that we can discourage from moving here, the longer it will stay the wonderful place to live that it is.

Why did I make this da**ed post anyway. Next thing you know, some one will be on my case for being a grouch.

We use the same strategy here in Oregon. Rains all the time, slugs the size of poodles, Summer came on a weekend last year and almost everyone got to enjoy it..... :D

What's the web address for the opening. Thanks

And this is a NEW airport. No more playing chicken with eastbound 18 wheelers on I-40 while landing on 26.

I'm going to miss that. :(

And this is a NEW airport. No more playing chicken with eastbound 18 wheelers on I-40 while landing on 26.

I'm going to miss that. :(

Yeah, the Citation crash that killed people in house off of the end of the runway finally got things moving.

I don't recall hearing about that one. :(

CONWAY AVIATION SERVICES
2009 we celebrated our 10th anniversary
425 Sixth Street
Conway, AR 72032
KCWS NEWSLETTER
SUMMER 2007

Bus: (501) 327-4559
Fax: (501) 327-7349
CITATION CRASH

June 30th was a dark day for the aviation family in Conway Arkansas. That Saturday afternoon Mr. Hugh Raines crashed his Citation jet and skidded into a home at the west end of runway 26. Killed in the accident were Mr. Raines the pilot and Mrs. J.V. Brady who was a resident of the home struck. Our hearts and prayers go out to those families who lost their love ones

Also: http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20070630-0

Last edited:
And this is a NEW airport.
Just found out that info. It does sound like a good opportunity for the right person.

The City of Conway is nearing completion of a new airport, with an expected opening date in August of 2014. It will have a 5500 feet concrete runway, 100 feet in width, with full parallel taxiway, GPS approaches, new terminal building, as well as corporate and general aviation hangars. The manager will be responsible for planning and oversight of construction of the new facilities, for the transition from the existing airport to the new one, and for the opening of the new facility

With all of the expertise on this board, I'm confident that there is one or more persons capable, qualified, and interested.

$9.73/hour? They would like a bachelor's degree in airport management, so you can mow lawns and wash trucks. I really like that opportunity.

$9.73/hour? They would like a bachelor's degree in airport management, so you can mow lawns and wash trucks. I really like that opportunity.

Umm, did you read that carefully?

The wage that you mention is for another opening that appears in the same ad -- " a part time Collector working in the Sanitation Department."

For the airport job, it says "Compensation includes a competitive salary and benefits package."

Sheesh!

Umm, did you read that carefully?

The wage that you mention is for another opening that appears in the same ad -- " a part time Collector working in the Sanitation Department."

For the airport job, it says "Compensation includes a competitive salary and benefits package."

Sheesh!
My apologies. I have seen so many aviation jobs that appear to be taking advantage of enthusiasts who want to work in the industry, and who will work for low wages, especially pilots, but also A&Ps.

My apologies. I have seen so many aviation jobs that appear to be taking advantage of enthusiasts who want to work in the industry, and who will work for low wages, especially pilots, but also A&Ps.

I made the same mistake and had to read it several times before it clicked. Oops!

What is hard to get a read on with these small town city jobs is whether Bubba Jr, the city commissioners nephew already has a lock on the position. This ad on its face doesn't sound like one of those situations as the criteria really dont look geared towards a particular person. The job ads that are published as a pro-forma to fulfill a legal requirement tend to have very narrow scope. 'Must have an associates degree in public management from Dingleville community college or equivalent and between 2 and 2.3 years of management experience supervising at least 6 employees'.

Managing the administrative side of a transportation project between federal, state and local funding sources is not trivial. This sounds like a gig vor someone who has done this before, I would expect that the person eventually getting the job will be the manager of a different airport. Yeah, once the thing is up and running, it is mowing grass and changing light-bulbs, but this seems to be a different scope.

I'd love to have that job as I have a nearly year-old aviation management degree but I don't know squat about construction or building/moving to a new airport. I do not think I am qualified for that one. They need someone already experienced in airport management.

In fact, so do most airport jobs. Have not been able to find one that is more entry level.

David

Yeah, once the thing is up and running, it is mowing grass and changing light-bulbs, but this seems to be a different scope.

If you are doing it with vision and not just maintaining the status quo, up and running is not just bulb changing and grass mowing. I hate bulb changing and grass mowing because it doesn't make a difference.

There are relationships to cultivate with any number of support sources including FAA Airports Div. and the state aeronautics department. There is a running 5 year capital improvement plan to maintain for the FAA Airport Improvement Program, etc., etc.

If you expect to eventually just change bulbs and mow grass, you aren't the person that I would want for the job.

Again, I have no involvement but I would like to see some member of this board end up with the job.

We'd love to send you the manager from Zelienople, PA, but wouldn't even wish him on our worst enemy :D

If you are doing it with vision and not just maintaining the status quo, up and running is not just bulb changing and grass mowing. I hate bulb changing and grass mowing because it doesn't make a difference.

There are relationships to cultivate with any number of support sources including FAA Airports Div. and the state aeronautics department. There is a running 5 year capital improvement plan to maintain for the FAA Airport Improvement Program, etc., etc.

If you expect to eventually just change bulbs and mow grass, you aren't the person that I would want for the job.

Again, I have no involvement but I would like to see some member of this board end up with the job.

Sorry, didn't intend to minimize your job. A great manager can make for a great airport, unfortunately, some 'managers' limit their efforts to mowing the grass and bossing people around while collecting a county paycheck. The only relationship they are fostering is that between their butt and the chair it is planted in. There are really well run airports without an airport manager (city clerk handles the bills, airport board and a consultant manage the grant work), then there are well run FBO managed airports and then there are well run airports with a city/county employed manager. I find the person involved to be more important than the underlying administrative setup.

Back