Airport/FBO recommendations, mid Ohio

BrianR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BrianR
I am planning a cross country trip in the 182 from NY to Peoria, then on to Iowa in a couple weeks. Now, as a VFR only pilot with not a great amount of schedule flexibility, I realize the chances of being able to fly this trip are not all that great. But in the event the weather gods cooperate, any recommendations for a mid-Ohio stop for fuel and maybe a quick bite to eat?

I am looking on ForeFlight at MFD in Mansfield or perhaps 1G5 in Medina, only because they are pretty much half way to my destination. My goals are a fairly quick in-and-out, reasonable fuel prices and ideally, some sort of on-field restaurant, though the last is only desirable, not required. I don't want to go any further south than Mansfield, but figure I could use a break anywhere between Cleveland/Akron and there.

Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated...

I know I'm ignoring a criteria here, but Carroll County (KTSO) has a great on-field restaurant and self-serve gas. It's a little bit farther south than Mansfield and a bit farther east, but I like the restaurant better than Mansfield and I'd bet that the fuel prices are significantly lower.

Other than that, I haven't found a good on-field restaurant anywhere north of Mansfield in the local area.

Bolton Field, TZR, home of a pretty good barbecue joint (or so I'm told, knowing little of such things). If you had more time I'd recommend Urbana Grimes (I74) which boasts both a restaurant and a museum.

Todd, definitely will consider KTSO...especially since they are reporting 100LL at $.01 per gallon! :goofy:

And Mike...BBQ, mmmm...who cares that it will be 10 a.m.? :)

BJJ - they'll loan you the crew car and you can run over to The Barn restaurant which is very close. If you give a heads up, I'll be there to have lunch with you as BJJ is my home field.

And Mike...BBQ, mmmm...who cares that it will be 10 a.m.? :)

Never saw a VFR flight go off that close to schedule. Or let me guess, you never get summertime morning fog?

Wherever and whenever you wind up, good luck on your adventure.

I'll second Bolton Field (TZR) on their barbecue. Very nice airport too.

Carroll County (TSO) does have a nice little restaurant with great pies. I've heard Salem (38D) just north of Carroll County has a great restaurant as well.

Sorry I can't add more about their fuel options though. I rent wet and don't usually go far. :)

I don't know how I never heard that the Salem airport had a restaurant, but I'll have to go check it out! I'm always glad to hear of more local restaurants, I like having a destination when I fly. I was sad to find out that the New Philadelphia airport restaurant closed.

Urbana restaurant is closed on Mondays!

Mansfield's resturant is OK...

TZR, get a "Fat Mama" my favorite!

If you are as far south as ISZ I'll lend you my car for a food run.

It's slightly north of your route, but at KPCW the Mon Ami restaurant will send a driver to pick you up. It's a good, quality restaurant/winery with a nice atmosphere. (The wine is well spoken of too, but I've not tried it.)

FDY is on your route. Nice runways and taxiways. They will loan you a crew car so you can go eat.

I used to stop regularly at Bluffton 5G7. It's almost exactly halfway between home and Oshkosh.

FDY is on your route. Nice runways and taxiways. They will loan you a crew car so you can go eat.

Ended up stopping there because their fuel price was one of the lowest when I called around. The lone worker on a Sunday generously stayed 30 minutes past his quitting time so I could get fueled, after I arrived a bit later than expected.

There was absolutely no one else around, but it looked like a great airport and definitely excellent service. They don't have a crew car as such, but the worker said he will let pilots borrow his car if they want to run into town!

Saturday morning FDY had a slight buzz around. They tried to do a air rally. Only 3 planes showed up for the event.

Saturday morning FDY had a slight buzz around. They tried to do a air rally. Only 3 planes showed up for the event.

Any other updates on this? He contacted me but I was unable to go due to schedule.

Any other updates on this? He contacted me but I was unable to go due to schedule.
Facebook "Findlay Air Rally" and look at the pictures from it. The team that won did it just about as quick as estimated. :)

Back