airplane repo is faker than I thought

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
They called my friend to see if they could use his plane next week for an episode they are filming.

I'm going to fly to his field and watch them film it.
I figured it was somewhat fake but it appears it might be completely fabricated.

Last edited:
The reality of reality tv is that it's scripted.

I for one am totally shocked!! Lol

TV reality shows are fake.? What a shock!!:)

You mean reality isn't real!!!!! Devastated!!

Tell the truth your CFI has not made his payments on his Steerman and they are going to repo in next week.
I mean we all know that reality shows are not fake :)

TV reality shows are fake.? What a shock!!:)

Fakes? Can't be. All those cameramen in just the right places at just the right times to get just the right shots prove that it really happened, doesn't it? And all the stuff that goes wrong on every flight on every episode? Isn't that real aviation?

Dan

The only way it could have gone for me was to be less fake than I thought. It's definitely cranked to 11 on the fake knob.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm always baffled that all those fields always have security guys undercover as fuel guys in fuel trucks.

I'm always baffled that all those fields always have security guys undercover as fuel guys in fuel trucks.

That and how would the fuel/security guys even know it was not your plane? Just act like it is and nobody would care.

I didn't realize until I watched 'Airplane Repo' that every little GA field has more security than Fort Knox.

From this show I learned that if you want access to the GA ramp you can't just rent a C150 and taxi on to the ramp.

Instead you need to lurk around the fence at midnight, and then cut your way in and snake crawl across the infield to the hanger, where your biker assistant smashes the lock while you steal a tug to pull the airplane out of the hanger.

All these shows are "recreations" of events, that may or may not have actually happened. :D Like a Citation doing a go around on a foggy day after seeing the repo guys near the runway! :mad2:
Or the guy "stealing" the 414A with no gas or radios and using his Garmin car GPS to get him safely to a nearby airport.:rofl:

One of the guys on that show - "Mike Kennedy" also appears in SimCom ads in the magazines.

Is he a professional aviation actor or something...? :)

I have no clue what y'all are talking about, but it does seem to confirm my conviction as to why I never watch T.V.

-John

From this show I learned that if you want access to the GA ramp you can't just rent a C150 and taxi on to the ramp.

Instead you need to lurk around the fence at midnight, and then cut your way in and snake crawl across the infield to the hanger, where your biker assistant smashes the lock while you steal a tug to pull the airplane out of the hanger.

Yup. I'd think if the bank owned the plane you'd go to the terminal, explain the situation, show them the paperwork, and ask which hangar you need to go to. Hell, I'd think the FBO would open it for you.

Yup. I'd think if the bank owned the plane you'd go to the terminal, explain the situation, show them the paperwork, and ask which hangar you need to go to. Hell, I'd think the FBO would open it for you.

That pilot episode didn't score well with the test group.

Professional wrestling is not real?!?

Professional wrestling is real. There are people in the ring and they are somewhat good at what they do which is promote and showcase unlikely events. Very real.

Is it wrestling? no.

All these shows are "recreations" of events, that may or may not have actually happened. :D Like a Citation doing a go around on a foggy day after seeing the repo guys near the runway! :mad2:
Or the guy "stealing" the 414A with no gas or radios and using his Garmin car GPS to get him safely to a nearby airport.:rofl:

I saw that episode.. and.... I am still laughing .. one year later..:D..:rofl:.:lol:.

The first season or 2 was actually more like this.

Parts of the episode 'Repo Roulette' was filmed literally in my back yard, but I did not realize it when I saw it. Every shot was set up, often shot several times. Nearly called the Sheriff after the third time the Ferrari made a high speed getaway run down our little country road, but thought it might be some sort of door prize deal for a charity golf tournament. Continuity of the locations they were using vs. the story timeline was also way out of whack (five minute highway trip to go between two places 100 yards apart). Oh well, all the kids were abuzz with their hometown's tiny bit of Hollywood fame.

Here's how to enjoy airplane repro: Think of it as hangar talk turned into a screenplay and then filmed.

Besides, it has planes in it.

I seem to recall one episode where they repoed a Cub that was "low on fuel" and you could clearly see the fuel float sticking WAY out. Cubs have permanently mounted fuel floats in the fuel cap on the top of the cowling.

Professional wrestling is real. There are people in the ring and they are somewhat good at what they do which is promote and showcase unlikely events. Very real.

Is it wrestling? no.

For the straight dope, from the annual report that WWE files on form 10-K:
Live and Televised Entertainment

Live Events

Our broad and talented roster of Superstars, allows us to perform in numerous domestic markets and take advantage of the strong international demand for our events. Live events and television programming are our principal creative content and production activities. Our creative team develops compelling and complex characters and weaves them into dynamic storylines that combine physical and emotional elements. Storylines are usually played out in the ring and unfold on our weekly television shows, culminating in monthly marquis events which historically have been distributed via pay-per view.
So there you have it, straight from the WWE. It's all about storylines and characters.

Well, you already knew that, but have you heard them say so themselves?

nice one NoHeat - It's great that they follow SEC rules somewhat explicitly.

I've known Mike Kennedy from back in the early 90's. Even back then he was working on getting some sort of TV program going.

This program is all scripted, all fake just like all of the rest of "reality TV".

Is it wrestling? no.

I don't think I've ever heard it summed up better. There is a part of me that likes WWE, but not because it's a sport. It's an act that promotes good and vilifies evil. It has it's place.

They do, right after the bank settles the outstanding maintenance bill.

From talking to someone who has done this, most of time is spent sitting around waiting for paperwork to be faxed over or the owner to show up with the logs. Most repos are not adversarial.

Last edited:
you guys are being too harsh. I used to work for a company that did repo work and we had all sorts of glamorous problems. I remember a job where one of our guys forgot to bring the coffee and we didn't realize it until airborne. Another time the fuel concession clerk wouldn't accept our company's discount fuel rate contract and we had to pay posted jet-a price. You all would have been spellbound if only gopro had existed then.

you guys are being too harsh. I used to work for a company that did repo work and we had all sorts of glamorous problems. I remember a job where one of our guys forgot to bring the coffee and we didn't realize it until airborne. Another time the fuel concession clerk wouldn't accept our company's discount fuel rate contract and we had to pay posted jet-a price. You all would have been spellbound if only gopro had existed then.

Spell Binding!!!'

My favorite one was a repo of a float plane on a lake in Florida. Complete with sneaking around the lake shore and running across a crocodile. The best part though was when they were checking it out a couple came down from the house party to check out the plane and ended up "doing the deed" in the back of the plane. Oh and you can't forget the good walk around he did when he found it was low on oil so he rummaged through someone's truck to find some more.

Pretty much. I've worked two different places and seen two airplanes repod now. It's as simple as "so FBO, I'm repoing this airplane. I need to see where it is and put my documents on the door. Don't move it unless I call and I specifically ask permission. Thanks. " not exciting.

Is it wrestling? no.

I call the "wrestlers" actors!

Most are quite cooperative, some back country fields where you're repoing the manager's cousin's plane, (every plane on the field belongs to a cousin) then not to much so. What's more entertaining is when you're showing up with the Marshal sand maybe some other feds for a seizure.

I gave up when they were claiming to take off while tied down.

For the straight dope, from the annual report that WWE files on form 10-K:
Live and Televised Entertainment

Live Events

Our broad and talented roster of Superstars, allows us to perform in numerous domestic markets and take advantage of the strong international demand for our events. Live events and television programming are our principal creative content and production activities. Our creative team develops compelling and complex characters and weaves them into dynamic storylines that combine physical and emotional elements. Storylines are usually played out in the ring and unfold on our weekly television shows, culminating in monthly marquis events which historically have been distributed via pay-per view.
So there you have it, straight from the WWE. It's all about storylines and characters.

Well, you already knew that, but have you heard them say so themselves?

For the straight dope, go to The Straight Dope. "Fighting Ignorance Since 1973 (It's taking longer than we thought)"

Back