Airplane Mechanics

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
As some of you know, I'm no airplane mechanic, but I sometimes play one on the weekends.

This past weekend, both Saturday and Sunday, I got to work many hours on two annuals. The annual inspection of a Cessna and the annual inspection of a Piper.

Though under the supervision of an IA at all times and rarely given more than a simple Phillips screw driver to put back together what seemed like endless numbers of inpection panels, strut covers, and wheel pants, I still had a good time.

And no, I do not get paid to do this. Think of the old days when a kid could just show up and help out at the airport.

I swept a hangar floor, cleaned the bugs off a plane, got to see the timing of magnetos being tested, got to watch an air filter being replaced, a "trim worm" being replaced, and learned about machine metal screws vs. sheet metal screws.

I broke a nail, lost a ton of hair to the creeper, banged my head hard on a wing strut, and my hand appparently got cut a bit on a knuckle. I accidentally had avgas poured into my shoe while they were refueling the plane, and stupidly stood downwind of some cleaning chemicals as they were being sprayed onto a rag.

I learned about metal gas tanks and replacement gaskets and anti-corrosion spray. I learned what a duck bill is, how many twists per inch the safety wire twistey thing is supposed to turn, and I still refused to quit calling rivets "the nubbins."

It was awesome.

I found all kinds of things to make fun of (funny names of parts).

We all had a great time, and of course, shared a beer at the end of the day and told pilot stories (many of the mechanics there are pilots).

Kimberly

PS - This reminds me I am overdue for the "cessna diamond injury". I already bruised my shin on the step up (located on the wing strut of most Skyhawks - used for loading passengers), and now I've hit my head on a wing strug while getting up from a creeper. All that's left is those darned ailerons. Good thing I'm short enough to walk under most wings.

I forgot:

Learning about / getting to see the shims inside the propeller (adjustable)

How hard it is to get a gas tank back on a Piper

Getting to see an ELT inside the ELT inspection panel

Watching all of the pulleys move from inside the plane while the IA was outside greasing the worm (working the trim tab from the inside with all the panels removed and looking inside the tailcone)

Acting surprised after my hands got sticky from the spluge that covers a new in bag air filter

Running scared from three giant pincher bugs crawling towards me when I was on my back re-securing inspection panels under the Piper wing

Way too many "is it in yet" and "I need two long screws" jokes to count

Well Kimberly, I do think you're headed in the right direction. I've always encouraged owners/pilots to learn as much as possible about their planes. As an A&P/IA that always made it easier for me to diagnose a problem if they gave me a reasonably accurat description of a problem. Oops; typo, but I'm gonna leave it just to prove the point.

The other side of the coin is there are many pilots with no mechanical ability whatever who would be dangerous to their own safety when handed a screwdriver.

Never stop learning.

Many people said to me:

"Oh, hi, Kimberly, been seeing you around here a lot - are you going to get your A & P then?"

My common reply is:

"No, I don't think so. However, I do think that if I am up there in the sky flying planes around and being responsible for the lives of my passengers, I should at least know what a spark plug looks like. I'm here to better understand airplanes."

Now I am remembering even more. It was a long weekend, after all:

The magic pebbles story.

An A&P was working on the fuel tank of the piper. I look at the engine, counting the cylinders, looking at wires, and just basically taking advantage of the fact that a cowl is off and I get to learn things. I happen to notice something very bright PINK.

It appears to be four glass viles filled with magic pink round pebbles.

I ask the A&P what is up with the magic pebbles!

Turns out that they are a placeholder for when the spark plugs get removed. They are just a desiccant device used to keep moisture out of the engine.

They look like this (except pink):

MS_27215-2.jpg

Pink means they have accumulated moisture. An hour or so in a low temp oven will drive the moisture out.

Something else I remembered:

Suck

Squeeze

Burn

Blow

(intake, compression, spark / ignite, exhaust)

See? I'm finally learning about engines.

I understand plugging spark plug holes, but to keep dirt and especially small parts like screws out of the cylinders.

Moisture gets in there anyway through the throttle and normal combustion. What's the point of the dessicant?

Kim, I'm impressed you're going to those lengths to learn the systems. But be careful, it IS possible to get hooked to wrench-turning. I did that with old cars once upon a time. Successful troubleshooting is especially gratifying.

I understand plugging spark plug holes, but to keep dirt and especially small parts like screws out of the cylinders.

Moisture gets in there anyway through the throttle and normal combustion. What's the point of the dessicant?

Kim, I'm impressed you're going to those lengths to learn the systems. But be careful, it IS possible to get hooked to wrench-turning. I did that with old cars once upon a time. Successful troubleshooting is especially gratifying.

I'm not trying to be careful. If I "accidentally" work there some day that would be fine with me. I think it is better to get hooked on volunteering my time every weekend to help mechanics than to get hooked on cigarettes or alcohol, don't you?

You are a renaissance woman.

I forgot:

Learning about / getting to see the shims inside the propeller (adjustable)

How hard it is to get a gas tank back on a Piper

Getting to see an ELT inside the ELT inspection panel

Watching all of the pulleys move from inside the plane while the IA was outside greasing the worm (working the trim tab from the inside with all the panels removed and looking inside the tailcone)

Acting surprised after my hands got sticky from the spluge that covers a new in bag air filter

Running scared from three giant pincher bugs crawling towards me when I was on my back re-securing inspection panels under the Piper wing

Way too many "is it in yet" and "I need two long screws" jokes to count

Rock on!

Wish more pilots (especially student pilots) got involved in the shop like that.

I'm not trying to be careful. If I "accidentally" work there some day that would be fine with me. I think it is better to get hooked on volunteering my time every weekend to help mechanics than to get hooked on cigarettes or alcohol, don't you?

If that's the career plan, than sure, there's nothing at all wrong with it. Quite the contrary.

Those are for long term storage at which time you would also seal the carb intake and exhaust stacks as well as the breather tube for the crankcase. They aren't for capping the holes while you clean the plugs unless you just don't have anything else to do the job.

So this is a funny one from the past weekend, but to understand it you need to know that it refers to a different weekend (trust me there have been many weekends of working on planes).

The back story: A young A&P months ago invited me to help one weekend with one of the rental planes. It was in for either the 50-hour or 100-hour inspection, or perhaps the annual. I forget which.

This G1000 package plane is his baby and in fact he just recently solo'd the plane on his way to becoming a pilot.

He stood there and myself and other mechanics did various tasks. I even got to fill the 12 cells of the 24 volt battery with distilled water.

He read the checklist which included checking the stall horn. Since the Cessna has a "musical instrument" stall horn - instead of one of those electric stall horns - the way to check it is by hand (or, in this case, by mouth).

I got all excited because although it was on my preflight checklist throughout my 8 months of training to become a private pilot in 2011, I'd never been able to try it.

You see, I flew a 152 but even then I was just a bit too short to grab a rag and suck on the stall horn opening which sits inside the wing. Rather than make me get a stepping stool or ladder, my instructor told me constantly "during the checkride, if the DPE asks why you did not test the stall horn, tell him you did - during your last landing - and that it works because you heard it go off."

So you bet when I heard the A&P say "check stall horn" I volunteered.

Someone grabbed me a stool. Trying as hard as I could, with a disposable rag in front of my mouth, I could not make the stall horn sound. So I got rid of the rag and tried again. Problem was, I was wearing lipstick. As you can imagine, though I still couldn't make the sound, when I stepped down from the stool, there were KISS MARKS on the white wing. Hilarious.

Fast forward to this past weekend and the Piper annual inspection:

The IA went back to the shop to get some tools, and, as a reference to the stall horn incident (and to indicate my love of airplanes), I did this:

8942750518_8ac2eda771_o.jpg

I had to look it up, but, thank you. You are way too kind.

And it does seem appropriate.

The prototypical Renaissance man was Leonardo da Vinci. In addition to a well-known artist, he was also into engineering, philosophy, and even anatomy and medicine, among a number of other things. This is a guy who tried to invent the helicopter 400+ years before it was actually possible. His design wouldn't have worked, but it was nothing short of stunningly brilliant anyway.

The list of people smarter than him is really short and it's highly debatable as to whether it contains anyone at all.

Suck

Squeeze

Burn

Blow

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

You need this good book if you want to learn more about airplanes:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0884872149

Used to teach a course using it as a textbook. Only thing missing from it is a chapter on turbine engines.

Dan

Last edited:

Suck

Squeeze

Burn

Blow

I'm from a much older, less politically correct time. We learned a different word for "burn".

But your version works also.

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

You need this good book if you want to learn more about airplanes:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0884872149

Used to teach a course using it as a textbook. Only thing missing from it is a chapter on turbine engines.

Dan

"bang" is the traditional mnemonic, but "burn" is more accurate.

It doesn't go bang with normal combustion. Only if it's detonating. There is a flame front, but no shock wave as in a conventional explosion.

For work, I do HR, accounting (A/P), management, purchasing, inventory, administrative, projects, composition (memos etc), finance (P&L, Cash, Forecast, Budgets), and various personal assistant type things. They even once put me in the engine area of a yacht for some reason.

Or you could just call me a secretary and say I answer phones and make the coffee and do the dishes. Either way titles mean nothing these days.

"bang" is the traditional mnemonic, but "burn" is more accurate.

It doesn't go bang with normal combustion. Only if it's detonating. There is a flame front, but no shock wave as in a conventional explosion.

It doesn't really suck, either. Atmospheric pressure pushes it into the cylinder.

Dan

I think they just used terms like "suck" and "bang" so that young mechanics would pay attention in class rather than fall asleep.

Always wear a cap when working on Cessna's. You will be glad.

As some of you know, I'm no airplane mechanic, but I sometimes play one on the weekends.

This past weekend, both Saturday and Sunday, I got to work many hours on two annuals. The annual inspection of a Cessna and the annual inspection of a Piper.

Though under the supervision of an IA at all times and rarely given more than a simple Phillips screw driver to put back together what seemed like endless numbers of inpection panels, strut covers, and wheel pants, I still had a good time.

And no, I do not get paid to do this. Think of the old days when a kid could just show up and help out at the airport.

I swept a hangar floor, cleaned the bugs off a plane, got to see the timing of magnetos being tested, got to watch an air filter being replaced, a "trim worm" being replaced, and learned about machine metal screws vs. sheet metal screws.

I broke a nail, lost a ton of hair to the creeper, banged my head hard on a wing strut, and my hand appparently got cut a bit on a knuckle. I accidentally had avgas poured into my shoe while they were refueling the plane, and stupidly stood downwind of some cleaning chemicals as they were being sprayed onto a rag.

I learned about metal gas tanks and replacement gaskets and anti-corrosion spray. I learned what a duck bill is, how many twists per inch the safety wire twistey thing is supposed to turn, and I still refused to quit calling rivets "the nubbins."

It was awesome.

I found all kinds of things to make fun of (funny names of parts).

We all had a great time, and of course, shared a beer at the end of the day and told pilot stories (many of the mechanics there are pilots).

Kimberly

PS - This reminds me I am overdue for the "cessna diamond injury". I already bruised my shin on the step up (located on the wing strut of most Skyhawks - used for loading passengers), and now I've hit my head on a wing strug while getting up from a creeper. All that's left is those darned ailerons. Good thing I'm short enough to walk under most wings.

"No, I don't think so. However, I do think that if I am up there in the sky flying planes around and being responsible for the lives of my passengers, I should at least know what a spark plug looks like. I'm here to better understand airplanes."

Brilliant!!!

I think they just used terms like "suck" and "bang" so that young mechanics would pay attention in class rather than fall asleep.

Yeah..... that would work! But those darn PC police...

Awesome. Renaissance Gal, indeed!

And the lower V of the diamond will cut a neat furrow from the very front of your scalp to the very back. The newer planes have a built-in bead between the corrugated surfaces.

True, dat. :yes:
I have a friend with a permanent "Cessna Diamond" smack in the middle of his forehead. :rolleyes:

Suck

Squeeze

Burn

Blow

I always replaced "burn" with "Bang" since it's an explosion that drives the piston downward on the power stroke.

And that description is always fun to use as an innuendo with the unsuspecting unwashed masses.

After a confused look, ".... Ummm.... so that was your latest date?"

For work, I do HR, accounting (A/P), management, purchasing, inventory, administrative, projects, composition (memos etc), finance (P&L, Cash, Forecast, Budgets), and various personal assistant type things.

Interesting... Been thinking of finding a qualified body to delegate these tasks too....

True, dat. :yes:
I have a friend with a permanent "Cessna Diamond" smack in the middle of his forehead. :rolleyes:

Even with the the wing of the Skylane being higher off of the ground than a Skyhawk, I've still gotten distracted messing around the left seat during preflight, turned around, and walked smack into the lowered flap.

After getting back into flying a friend learned I was a crew chief in the ARMY and asked me to help with his plane. What I didn't know that it was a Paris Jet that was in a sea train container. Long story short I got very familiar with this plane. It was sold at Oshgosh several years ago. Another Paris Jet showed up at my home airport, as luck would have it I ended up working on that one two. I love flying in them but hate working on them.

Be careful when people ask you what you know about certain planes, you might end up working on them again.

And the lower V of the diamond will cut a neat furrow from the very front of your scalp to the very back. The newer planes have a built-in bead between the corrugated surfaces.

I've been working on a 140 in my shop the last month and a half. After dodging the bullet for over 35 years I now have Cessna forehead. Made a perfect diamond with a line on each side like a cookie cutter. I hope it leaves a scar. Don

Even with the the wing of the Skylane being higher off of the ground than a Skyhawk, I've still gotten distracted messing around the left seat during preflight, turned around, and walked smack into the lowered flap.

A 177 has similar high wings, but the flaps are smooth and don't lower as far. No wing strut to bang into either.

Good for you Kim. Seems like you are having a good time and learning some things too. As some people on here already know, that is what we do in our shop and on the road is owner assisted work. We enjoy teaching and helping them understand some of the things that many don't get a chance to see.

Good job

I always replaced "burn" with "Bang" since it's an explosion that drives the piston downward on the power stroke...

Not an explosion as was stated in post #20.

Coolest thing I've learned over the years, a direct result of having my feet partial amputated, is that a wheelchair is the perfect shop tool for a lot of things. Perfect height to work on the lower side of engines and they are way more stable and easy to use than an office chair on a hangar floor. Wheelchairs can run over cords, rocks, screws and so on without tipping over. Plus when you lock the brakes on a wheelchair they make a decent step ladder.

Someone grabbed me a stool. Trying as hard as I could, with a disposable rag in front of my mouth, I could not make the stall horn sound. So I got rid of the rag and tried again.

No rag needed, just go right on up there. You might get a little extra protein from the leading edge bugs.

I've been doing more and more every year during my airplane's annual.

Barrels of fun!

During last year's disassembly, one of the mechanics was suprised how much faster I was at removing all the interior than him. When one works on the same airplane over and over, it gets pretty easy.

So many of your comments reflect the same things I've found-
Sticky hands when changing the air filter? Check!

I value knowing the inner workings of the airplane, and all the guys working in my local shop are great guys. I'm sure they like me too, but would most likely rather hang out with somebody named "Kimberly". You're way cuter than I!

Now I am remembering even more. It was a long weekend, after all:

The magic pebbles story.

An A&P was working on the fuel tank of the piper. I look at the engine, counting the cylinders, looking at wires, and just basically taking advantage of the fact that a cowl is off and I get to learn things. I happen to notice something very bright PINK.

It appears to be four glass viles filled with magic pink round pebbles.

I ask the A&P what is up with the magic pebbles!

Turns out that they are a placeholder for when the spark plugs get removed. They are just a desiccant device used to keep moisture out of the engine.

They look like this (except pink):

MS_27215-2.jpg

I saw one of those too but it was in a small store off the interstate.

Back