Airplane into Chocago house

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
Airplane into Chicago house

On the news this morning. A home near Midway. Fuselage with N30MB sticking out of the side of a brick bungalo. Elderly couple who live in the house okay. Pilot hasn't been found. :(

It's being reported as a "cargo plane." Registered to Central Airlines, Inc, Fairway, Ks. '64 Aero Commander 500-B

511675.jpg

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-midway-plane-crash-20141118-story.html

Last edited:
Whoa they have chocolate houses? Damn shame to stick an airplane in one.

Took off from Midway toward Palwaukee (a 30 NM trip), turned back and didn't make the runway. Supposedly no post-crash fire.:dunno:

Looks like he came in mighty steep. The pilot was in the pointy front part of the plane that is all crushed. RIP . . .

Took off from Midway toward Palwaukee (a 30 NM trip), turned back and didn't make the runway. Supposedly no post-crash fire.:dunno:

The news article said he ammended fp to OSU prior to takeoff.

Heard about it on the radio this morning, mentioned it was registered to a Fairway, KS address and was headed to "Executive". I assumed KOJC (Johnson County Executive - "Executive"), right next door to me. Turns out it was Chicago Executive.

The firefighter crews reported fuel leaking on site but no source of ignition so on fire. Lucky!
So far, the best speculation is mis-fueled with Jet-A.

R.I.P. pilot.
Incredibly lucky for the sleeping couple on the ground.

So far, the best speculation is mis-fueled with Jet-A.

I thought when Bob Hoover had this type of incident in a commander, it led to the invention of the "hoover ring" and "Hoover nozzle" to prevent this from happening?

I thought when Bob Hoover had this type of incident in a commander, it led to the invention of the "hoover ring" and "Hoover nozzle" to prevent this from happening?

Yes, and it happened to a 421 air ambulance a few months ago and has happened every few months since that time. We are a clever species, we can figure out how to **** up anything.

If it turns out to be the case, the nozzles on the fuel hose can be switched out. Several years ago, I was buying several hundred gallons of Jet-A from a FBO. I was hauling it in a (DOT approved) tank on a 1-ton pickup. The bung on the tank wasn't big enough for the Jet-A nozzle on the fuel truck hose, so the guy walked over to a milk crate on the back of the truck and grabbed a 100LL-sized nozzle, unscrewed the large nozzle and replaced it with the smaller nozzle.

If the line guy was convinced that he needed Jet-A in the plane, he could potentially switch nozzles to make it fit.

Good to see nobody got injured on the ground. We don't need any more examples of GA planes coming down and taking out innocent bystanders.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back