Airplane Hot Rods: the fastest of their class

i wouldn't be surprised if Cessna has something up their sleeve to retain their fastest bizjet claim.

It would appear you are correct:

http://www.kansas.com/2010/07/07/1393315/ron-ready-for-rebound.html

Partial quote:

PROVIDENCE, R.I. —Textron CEO Scott Donnelly cut jobs and shrank the finance unit to steer the maker of Cessna jets and Bell helicopters through the recession. Now he's preparing for recovery with new aircraft.

New models and upgrades to existing aircraft may come as soon as 2012, said Donnelly, who is boosting spending on research at Bell by about 50 percent and by a lesser, unspecified amount at Cessna during the next two to three years. His timeline would fit a recovery in corporate flying that industry analysts and executives expect in 2011.

"The programs are there, the teams are working, so we're going full-speed ahead," Donnelly, 48, said in an interview at Textron's headquarters in Providence. "You will see some refreshes, some block changes to some aircraft, and we also have a couple things in there that will be brand-new aircraft."

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2010/07/07/1393315/ron-ready-for-rebound.html#ixzz0tD7cNHSs

Fastest civilian Piston Twin unequivocally Riley TURBOSTREAM 310 with Lycoming 540's. I owned and flew one for seven years and 1200 hours. 300 knots. 3,000fpm ROC. Highest groundspeed I ever had 366 knots groundspeed one night Winnipeg-Toronto in 1979 at 21,000 with strong tailwind. That's over 400MPH.
A beautiful plane to fly. A legend.

Where does the Mitsubishi MU-2 fit in?
I always thought it at least looked fast.

images

I think it's the fastest per decibel (or perhaps loudest per knot?), but not close to all around fastest.

Fastest civilian Piston Twin unequivocally Riley TURBOSTREAM 310 with Lycoming 540's. I owned and flew one for seven years and 1200 hours. 300 knots. 3,000fpm ROC. Highest groundspeed I ever had 366 knots groundspeed one night Winnipeg-Toronto in 1979 at 21,000 with strong tailwind. That's over 400MPH.

Welcome to POA, Chris.

There's one for sale here:

http://www.aso.com/listings/spec/Vi...rue&IsInternal=True&searchId=309605&dealerid=

It may have at one time, but the Epic LT was a few knots fatster, and its newer cousin, the Epic Escape, has a max cruising speed of 365 ktas.

EDIT: Once the certified version of the LT, the Epic Dynasty is released, it will be faster than the SOCATA TBM 850 by more than 30 knots.
Yeah, don't hold your breath for anything certified coming out of Epic. On the other hand, the Kestrel is basically a modified LT.

Not fast, but the Epic Victory is one cool little jet. As one of the few people who have flown one, all I can say is I WANT ONE!

The Citation X has an Mmo of .92 and the G650 is supposed to come out at .925 when it is certified. I know that Citation has been putting winglets on the X. I wonder if they will try to have it certified at a higher speed like .9251. :D

0.935 actually! This little war is pretty entertaining.

What kind of fuel burn did the Rocket have?

The DA40 is faster than a Tiger, so maybe you should say fastest out of production fixed gear, fixed prop 180 HP airplane with a sliding canopy and castering nosewheel.

Forgot about the Diamond. Nice airplane.

Back