Airmet Sierra- relevant to VFR?

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
During my breifing yesterday, the information included Airmet Sierra for icing at 4,000. If I am flying VFR (clear of clouds), why do I care about Airmet Sierra or icing levels?

Well, if it is for icing in clouds that's not going to matter much to VFR.
If you have freezing precipitation, then that's a bear IFR or VFR.

FYI:
Airmet Sierra is IFR conditions and Mountain Obscurations
Airmet Zulu is Icing and Freezing Levels

(And Airmet Tango is Turbulence, LLWS, 30+ sustained winds)

And, if you're flying in the clear at temps below freezing, and there are warmer clouds above, you might worry about freezing rain, or hail, or snow. Good to know if/where warmer air is.

FYI:
Airmet Sierra is IFR conditions and Mountain Obscurations
Airmet Zulu is Icing and Freezing Levels

(And Airmet Tango is Turbulence, LLWS, 30+ sustained winds)

Ah!!! You're right!

Ok, same question: Airmet Zulu, why does a VFR pilot care?

Flying in the rain can easily be done VFR. Flying in freezing rain, though, is bad mojo.

I asked once before about airmet sierra. I still maintain that it is 100% useless for VFR pilots.

same with Zulu. stay out if moisture and it matters not.

I asked once before about airmet sierra. I still maintain that it is 100% useless for VFR pilots.

same with Zulu. stay out if moisture and it matters not.

More like reason to stay VFR instead of going IFR.. Well not so much the Sierra depending on your nav equipment, and choice of airport. I would still want it in my VFR briefing just so I don't get any bright ideas about getting a pop up clearence in the ice because I can't get by the mountain ridge that's tops are obscured..

<---<^>--->

Once, while flying VFR westward (toward lowering terrain) about 30 miles from Winslow, Arizona, I called in a PIREP to Flight Watch because the sky was clear and sunny and the predictions had been for low ceilings and mountain obscurations. I was a new (naive) pilot at the time and believed that informing the system would be beneficial. At the end of my report, the briefer warned of "mountain obscuration" and the advice that "VFR flight not recommended". I looked at the clearly visible nearest mountain top that I knew was the last to be rounded before the land descended toward the Pacific. Needless to say, I turned back and landed at Winslow to wait for the "mountain obscuration" to lift.

Briefers want to make sure you have all the information you need to keep your flight safe. It is up to you to decide what is relevant.

Once, while flying VFR westward (toward lowering terrain) about 30 miles from Winslow, Arizona, I called in a PIREP to Flight Watch because the sky was clear and sunny and the predictions had been for low ceilings and mountain obscurations. I was a new (naive) pilot at the time and believed that informing the system would be beneficial. At the end of my report, the briefer warned of "mountain obscuration" and the advice that "VFR flight not recommended". I looked at the clearly visible nearest mountain top that I knew was the last to be rounded before the land descended toward the Pacific. Needless to say, I turned back and landed at Winslow to wait for the "mountain obscuration" to lift.

Briefers want to make sure you have all the information you need to keep your flight safe. It is up to you to decide what is relevant.

"Informing the system" IS important...don't stop doing it. The folks at the NWS plot pilot reports against their forecasts to fine-tune their products. AIM 7-1-20(d)(4). They want reports of conditions that were better than forecast just as much as they want reports of weather that was worse than forecast.

Bob Gardner

Got an Airmet Sierra just a few minutes ago that covers my departure airport. VFR not recommended SFC-1.000 agl. Looking out the window disagrees. What to do, what to do?:confused:

The Airmets can cry wolf sometimes.

Looking at the area weather it looks like a lot of broken MVFR ceilings with forecasts to lift and improve as the day warms up.

Wait an hour or so and then check current conditions again. You're going from DC to just south of the norfolk area? I'm guessing in an hour or two everything will be VFR.

Got an Airmet Sierra just a few minutes ago that covers my departure airport. VFR not recommended SFC-1.000 agl. Looking out the window disagrees. What to do, what to do?:confused:

Which are you going to believe, an AIRMET that says it *might* be IFR, or your Mark I Eyeballs™ that say that is isn't?

Airmet Sierra is there to warn VFR pilots that they may encounter IFR conditions along their route of flight. Stay out of 'em with your Mark I Eyeballs™ and you're golden... But realize that you may need to execute plan B, C, D, etc.

I've picked up ice VFR.... freezing rain

I've also picked up ice VFR. Iced up a Super Cub in the pattern when it was misty.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 91
Which are you going to believe, an AIRMET that says it *might* be IFR, or your Mark I Eyeballs™ that say that is isn't?

Airmet Sierra is there to warn VFR pilots that they may encounter IFR conditions along their route of flight. Stay out of 'em with your Mark I Eyeballs™ and you're golden... But realize that you may need to execute plan B, C, D, etc.

Executed a 180. Thread to follow

Back