Airline student in Australia blacks out at 6500, wakes up out to sea 55 minutes later

Re: Airline student in Australia blacks out at 6500, wakes up out to sea 55 minutes l

Man that guy has to be loving the auto pilot. A 55 min black out is a Loooong time

Re: Airline student in Australia blacks out at 6500, wakes up out to sea 55 minutes l

Man that guy has to be loving the auto pilot. A 55 min black out is a Loooong time

What was that sound I just heard? Sounded like a medical certificate being fried....

-Skip

The most likely medical explanation is that he fell asleep.

Yes, and he may not realize it's better to claim fatigue than impairment.

Maybe he ate too much...contributing factor to falling asleep.

I'll bet he was already more tired than he thought. Real fatigue isn't like sleepiness; I have lots of short-term energy available when I am really sleep-deprived but fed and watered. I feel OK until I sit down and do nothing, then I'll start to shut down. At best, I'll be back on my feet, but bleary-eyed and fuzzy-headed. And cranky. After a while, even coffee has no effect.
This guy was nice and comfy, not hungry or thirsty, fat with fuel...headed for home base... add the drone and the sun in your eyes, and especially if the AP was engaged...every blink lasts a little longer... then... :sleep:

Wonder how long it took him to estimate his position, based on time and heading? I think if it happened to me, I'd make a 180 then decide I didn't want to know how far out I was. :D

Could be sleep, but also could be monoxide.....just at the right amount you'd wax in and out.....

Could be sleep, but also could be monoxide.....just at the right amount you'd wax in and out.....
Another possibility. Symptoms, to the pilot anyway, would be similar, I guess. No idea anything's wrong, then you're too groggy to figure it out.

He thought he was actually in ATC training, not pilot training?

What would wake him 55 mins later?

Maybe he slumped over so much that he eventually closed the cabin air control. :D

Not likely.

My question was not tongue in cheek.

Gee, a Middle Eastern flight student who actually flies his solo cross countries! That's something new. Back at the Sierra Air Academy many years ago, there was the Iranian student who left his plane tied down and chocked (unattended) with the engine running so the Hobbs would reflect his cross country time. He was at an airport 5 or 6 miles away from his home base.

This guy probably just partied too hard the night before and fell asleep at the wheel.

Back