Airline pilot with ADHD medication in my past

A

anon

My world has just been rocked, and I don't know what to do.

I'm a (relatively new) airline pilot. When I was younger, I was prescribed ADHD medication. I took it for a few years before taking myself off of it because I didn't think I needed it. I later had an ADHD test which showed that I did not, in fact, have ADHD.

When I applied for my medical, I didn't list that medication - I only listed the medication I was currently taking, which is what it appeared to ask for. But I've recently found out that I'm supposed to have reported that somewhere in the process, and I may be in serious trouble because I didn't do so. I'm concerned about my career, my legal status, and everything else that goes with that.

But here's the thing. As part of my interview/onboarding for my airline job, I was given a cogscreen. If I'm understanding correctly, that's the test the FAA requires in order for anyone with a history of ADHD to prove that they do not, in fact, have ADHD. So does that mean I'm good? I've already passed their test, and I (as far as I know/knew) completed the medxpress application accurately. I still don't see where I would have listed that information.

I do my best to keep up with every regulation, rule, etc., but I will admit that I'm no expert on FAA medical requirements. I've spent untold time and money to get to this point in my career, and I can't tell if I'm going to be ok, or if my life is falling to pieces in front of my eyes.

Alas I don't think the FAA gives any screening tests any credence. The FAA used to have a policy if that you had one of these cavalier childhood ADHD diagnosis (and if you were prescribed the drugs you had a diagnosis whether it was correct or not), that if you made it through college into successful adult life unmedicated, they'd agree that it was probably an error. Now, they want a HIMS Neuropsych evaluation with the COGSCREEN battery (got to get their kickback).

A consult with someone like @bbchien would be a my recommendation on how to proceed.

You can wait for him to show up here, or contact him via his webpage, http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html
If I were flying for a living, I would ping one of the two good doctors listed TODAY and be ready to pull in your union rep AFTER talking to the doctor and forming a plan. You're a professional pilot, you're used to careful planning, that's what this requires. Get good people on board (the doctors mentioned above, and others they'll recommend (union, lawyer) and be in control of this process.

I believe Dr. Chien and Dr. Fowler both have incredible insight. However, I would also get in touch with an aviation attorney for their advice and insight. While you may have chosen to answer the Form 8500-9 differently, out of an abundance of precaution on the front side; you may be advised to do nothing now. This all depends on whether you knew you actually had an ADHD diagnosis.

the FAA recognizes this:

The result is a subset of the adult population with a documented history of treatment for ADHD — some of
whom truly had the condition and others who probably did not.

So now you need to report your omission. Let an experienced AME handle this. After consultation with such, you will apply for a new medical certificate and with your new experienced AME, your med-express statement will have been 'curated' to your benefit. The exam will be deferred. Your AME will begin by scheduling consultations. you gather all records available. If you have a union, you will likely want to let them know. And when your updated medical is submitted, you will be without a medical until this is resolved. Best at some point early in this process to let your chief pilot know too.

You will have a few hoops to jump thru and you will be successful. And this will not torment you the rest of your flying career.

Last edited:
There are two ways to go but both require your entire record, and a HIMS neuropyschological evaluation (HIMS AMEs do this). All you have to do is beat out the bottom 15th percentile of the known age matched pilots in teh FAA airman norms (which is why the HIMS AME uses a HIMS neuropscyhologist- they have access to these norms). If you do allright, then you get ruled elgiible.

For how many medicals have you omitted this? The omissions- you will have to beg the FAA's forgivenes.s And if your next medical is coming up for heaven's sake you need to get crackin! If you present them with a fully qualifiying portfolio, they are likley to be forgiving as this is a known problem with MedXpress- ADD meds are not called out on the
the form. If however you have omitted ten times, it mlight be more complex. But the POINT of presenting a completely certifiable file, is that the FAA Doc has then got the option to recommend no discipline, recommend certification and "warn for furnther omission". When correcting the file (and not before) we use the attached, and send in the full evalution as a PACKAGE.

I would not do another medical without everything you need. Better to be down, than to declare before having an approvable file. That would be like going to a mil board of inquiry without everything you needed!!

Bruce (Metro CHI, IL)
(contact me via the link in the sig line if you wish)

Attachments

• OmissionsDeclaration09.28.22.pdf
    182.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
When I applied for my medical, I didn't list that medication - I only listed the medication I was currently taking, which is what it appeared to ask for. But I've recently found out that I'm supposed to have reported that somewhere in the process, and I may be in serious trouble because I didn't do so.
What is the "that" you found out you were supposed to report? Your understanding was correct that you're only asked and required to report current medications. So if it's the medication from years ago that you're concerned about, you needn't be. If you had a diagnosis of ADHD, you should have reported that. Some will say that if you were prescribed the medication, you necessarily had a certain diagnosis, but that isn't always true. The Medxpress form is required to be completed based on your knowledge, not guesses or speculation.

In support of you acting quickly:

FAA Order 2150.3C if an airman attempts to pre-emptively correct information provided on Form 8500-8 to the FAA’s Office of Aerospace Medicine before the FAA discovers the violation, such self-reporting should be considered a mitigating factor in the FAA’s determination of whether to sanction the airman. In this respect, the FAA may choose not to pursue an action against an airman for falsification in cases where the airman self-reports a previously unreported medical history, condition, or treatment, on his or her medical application. Beware, however, this is not a specific policy that has been established by the FAA. Instead, this is a practice that the FAA has historically undertaken and a way by which the FAA actively handles the self-reporting of false or incorrect responses on Form 8500-8.

I do not see any criminal sanction to your self reporting.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back