Airforce Academy Acceptance

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I'm thinking about going into the Air force Academy but Im not sure they will let me in. I have mild asthma and I'm 20/40 in my left eye. Is this grounds for keeping me out?

While you can get in the air force that way, you may not qualify for a pilot position. Be sure to check with the USAF about those standards if your goal is to fly for the Air Force.

6'1", 128 pounds didn't impress them very much in 1970. :no: I had to carry rocks in my pockets to keep from getting blown away in a strong breeze. :D

I suspect the asthma would bother them more than the 20/40 vision in one eye (assuming the other is 20/20), which will still leave you pilot-qualified by current standards.
Respiratory System Disqualification

History of asthma, including reactive airway disease, exercise-induced broncho-spasm or asthmatic bronchitis, reliably diagnosed or treated after the 13th birthday, is disqualifying. A history of wheezing requiring medication after the age of 13 is also disqualifying. History of immunotherapy for allergies is disqualifying but usually waiverable.
See http://www.academyadmissions.com/admissions/eligibility/medical/standards.php for more.

Asthma is disqualifying for flying status or even enlistment. There are some tests that can be done that actually establish the diagnosis, not just some doc in the past hanging that diagnosis on you. Good luck- Jim N, Senior Flight Surgeon (USAF)

Asthma is disqualifying for flying status or even enlistment. There are some tests that can be done that actually establish the diagnosis, not just some doc in the past hanging that diagnosis on you. Good luck- Jim N, Senior Flight Surgeon (USAF)
Thanks Jim, and welcome to the board!

Jim, Welcome to the board!

True but he did say "mild" and what is not clear is if that really is a diagnosed condition or him just having a hard time breathing after exercise due to allergies, out of shape, etc.

True but he did say "mild" and what is not clear is if that really is a diagnosed condition or him just having a hard time breathing after exercise due to allergies, out of shape, etc.

It is definite diagnosed asthma however I have not needed treatment for it in over a year

It is definite diagnosed asthma however I have not needed treatment for it in over a year
Hopefully the asthma is something you have outgrown. Didn't you mention in chat that you are 13? If so you still might be within the asthma guidelines that Ron posted. Hopefully someone has more advice for you.

From what Jim was saying, it sounds like you need to make sure the last record of any treatment was prior to age 13. Make sure that's the case then do what you can for your health so it never again becomes an issue.

If the last known treatment was before 13, don't bring it up in the physical either.

I don't know where Ron's quote originated, but the actual guidance for flying standards is in the Air Force Instruction called the AFI48-123: A4.17.1.9. Asthma (493) of any degree, or a history of asthma, reactive airway disease, intrinsic
or extrinsic bronchial asthma, exercise-induced bronchospasm, or IgE (Immunoglobulin E) mediated
asthma".... is disqualifying. There is no age stipulation.

For clarification, the age stipulations for enlistment are:A3.13.4. Asthma (493), including reactive airway disease, exercise-induced bronchospasm or asthmatic
bronchitis, reliably diagnosed and symptomatic after the 13th birthday is disqualifying... However, the criteria for flying status are more stringent, and any history of asthma is disqualifying.

Finally, while it might be possible to obtain a waiver for a remote history of asthma, considering the competition for slots at the AFA I think the chances for this would unfortunately be fairly low.

Age 13 seems arbitrary. Or, "any history" as posted by Jim, as well. Childhood asthma is common. If you've outgrown it, and no longer have issues requiring medication, what "basis" medically is there for denial? Is there medical evidence of sudden recurrence of symptoms? I'm interested because based on this information, I would have been DQ'd... used an Albuterol inhaler til mid-teens, but have had no issues for YEARS.

I'm not saying it necessarily makes sense, but this is the current guidance, and not likely to get a waiver. There are a lot of applicants for flying slots, and it may just be a screening tool, just like the old vision standards.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back