Aircraft wash bays in Iowa?

tapioca

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
tapioca
Since I had time to look around at Newton Kansas (KEWK) waiting for some low clouds to pass. I discovered that the airport had wash bays. Which leads to the question are there any here in Iowa and if so where and how much does it cost to wash a plane using one?

Did it have pressure wands? Pressure washing an airplane is not recommended. The pressure can overcome the surface tension of the water and force it into the skin joints where it could remain for an extended period of time and set up corrosion.

Besides, you don't get to inspect every square inch of your aircraft when using a pressure wand.

This is also why you also don't want to use any caustic cleaners on airplanes. It can wick into the skin joints where it can't be flushed out and, it too, can set up corrosion.

The military test for cleaners is to soak a piece of aluminum skin in the cleaner for a week. The skin must come out undamaged and un-etched. Try doing this with castrol purple cleaner. It won't etch a piece of skin in a week, no, it'll eat a hole in aluminum skin in a week. :eek:

It's some scary chit.

GoJo for the belly. Turtle wax wash and wax for the plane. And Simple Green Aviation for the stubborn stuff. That's all that goes on my plane. And even the Simple Green Aviation is mildly corrosive. It'll "brighten" (or "etch" if you will) a piece of skin in a week.

Be careful and your plane will thank you for it.

Last edited:
GoJo for the belly. Turtle wax wash and wax for the plane. And Simple Green Aviation for the stubborn stuff. That's all that goes on my plane. And even the Simple Green Aviation is mildly corrosive. It'll "brighten" (or "etch" if you will) a piece of skin in a week.
Thanks! I was getting ready to ask what people used to wash their airplanes...N55ZC needs it.

Jay,

GoJo is a great belly cleaner (and I know dirty bellies since I have a wet vacuum pump). Lay on a mechanic's creeper and smear it on the belly with papertowels. Wash the rest of the plane, come back to the belly last and it will easily wash spotless.

Also, if you use simple green make sure it's the aviation version. You can buy it at Sporty's, Aircraft Spruce, etc. The simple green that you buy at the local discount store is not aluminum friendly.

Take care and enjoy washing your toy.

Thanks! I was getting ready to ask what people used to wash their airplanes...N55ZC needs it.

You can do a search on here. IIRC, there have been several discussions about preferred cleaning chemicals.

I've had really good experience with Wash-Wax-All. Doesn't require any water, and if you stay on top of things it does a good job of keeping it relatively easy to keep a plane clean.

Back