Aircraft Types and DPEs

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
I have noticed on many FSDO DPE lists that some examiners will often have specific aircraft listed with their name...usually twins. Does this mean that they are only able to administer checkrides in those specific types?

I have noticed on many FSDO DPE lists that some examiners will often have specific aircraft listed with their name...usually twins. Does this mean that they are only able to administer checkrides in those specific types?

Correct.

I had to go some ways to find someone still accredited to do checkrides in a Twinky. The local FSDO didn't have anyone who could have ridden along to get the type added for the local DPE.

Correct.

I had to go some ways to find someone still accredited to do checkrides in a Twinky. The local FSDO didn't have anyone who could have ridden along to get the type added for the local DPE.
How did you find the person? Through the ICS?

Who did you use? I did my initial MEL checkride in 2007 at PVD. They had a couple examiners there for the Twinkie.

I am leaning toward buying a B55 Baron (for family hauling) and it would be nice if I could also use it for my eventual MEI ride.

Actually the rules changed. It used to be a DPE for twins had to be specifically authorized for types. They changed it to any twin the examiner had 5 hours or more PIC time in - the same requirement as for instruction in a twin towards a rating.

Baron... Tisk tisk. ;)

Actually the rules changed. It used to be a DPE for twins had to be specifically authorized for types. They changed it to any twin the examiner had 5 hours or more PIC time in - the same requirement as for instruction in a twin towards a rating.

Baron... Tisk tisk. ;)
Sometimes that can be hard to find. There is a local fella who had a heck of a time finding someone to give him instruction in his twinkie!

How did you find the person? Through the ICS?

Who did you use? I did my initial MEL checkride in 2007 at PVD. They had a couple examiners there for the Twinkie.

As Ted noted, that may have changed in the meantime. The MEI I trained with knew the DPE from times past.

I am leaning toward buying a B55 Baron (for family hauling) and it would be nice if I could also use it for my eventual MEI ride.

There is someone, I believe in SC, who provides ME ratings in a B55. It may be worthwhile to do the ME with him rather than the logistics of doing the rating in the new to you plane.

Baron... Tisk tisk. ;)
Yeah I know....nothing personal Ted. They are both great airplanes ad the 310 does have its advantages, but after comparing info from owners and A&Ps on both sides, a good Baron will likely run at least half of the maintenance cost of a 310. I will just be paying a little more for the airplane on the acquisition.

Sometimes that can be hard to find. There is a local fella who had a heck of a time finding someone to give him instruction in his twinkie!

It can definitely still be a challenge. I wouldn't be able to do Baron instruction towards a rating, for instance. I only have about 2 hours worth of time in one, including some Travel Air time.

Yeah I know....nothing personal Ted. They are both great airplanes ad the 310 does have its advantages, but after comparing info from owners and A&Ps on both sides, a good Baron will likely run at least half of the maintenance cost of a 310. I will just be paying a little more for the airplane on the acquisition.

Everyone has to make their own choices, I'm just giving you a hard time. :)

But, I'd also seriously question half the MX cost for a plane that has the same engines, props, still has retractable gear, etc...

There is someone, I believe in SC, who provides ME ratings in a B55. It may be worthwhile to do the ME with him rather than the logistics of doing the rating in the new to you plane.
I won't be doing the MEI right away....that is at least a year or two away.

But, I'd also seriously question half the MX cost for a plane that has the same engines, props, still has retractable gear, etc...

Same here. I've seen my share of Beech maintenance hogs. It always depends upon who the previous owners were and how it was cared for.

Yep, when you see first-hand how the nice like-new-paint A-36 needs almost $20k to fix airworthy stuff that has been ignored or pencil-whipped, nobody needs to draw you any pitchers.

Same here. I've seen my share of Beech maintenance hogs. It always depends upon who the previous owners were and how it was cared for.

Yep, when you see first-hand how the nice like-new-paint A-36 needs almost $20k to fix airworthy stuff that has been ignored or pencil-whipped, nobody needs to draw you any pitchers.
Which can be said for any type.

On the positive side, the IA who is doing the pre-buy worked for Beech and built up 1000 hrs flying a company B55 around the country. We'll be doing an annual as the pre-buy. If it is a painted pig, we'll know.

They might need to draw you a pitcher of beer after that one! :wink2:

Back