aircraft type questions

mmilano

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mike Milano
if you have a portable gps, does that count as GPS for the aircraft type?

my trainer plane is a c152/u. i guess this is the same question in a different way, but if i had a gps in there would it be a different type?

and if it is a different type, do they assume you then have /u equipment too?

mmilano said:
if you have a portable gps, does that count as GPS for the aircraft type?

my trainer plane is a c152/u. i guess this is the same question in a different way, but if i had a gps in there would it be a different type?

and if it is a different type, do they assume you then have /u equipment too?
AIM table 5-1-2 says:

/G Global Positioning System (GPS)/Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) equipped aircraft with en route and terminal capability.

AFAIK only IFR certified GPS satisfy that requirement (terminal), so a portable does not qualify. Since the "equipped aircraft) does not include a GPS (which is why you want to use a portable), that's another reason it won't qualify.

RotaryWingBob said:
AIM table 5-1-2 says:

/G Global Positioning System (GPS)/Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) equipped aircraft with en route and terminal capability.

AFAIK only IFR certified GPS satisfy that requirement (terminal), so a portable does not qualify. Since the "equipped aircraft) does not include a GPS (which is why you want to use a portable), that's another reason it won't qualify.

I don't know of any handheld GPS that are certified for IFR or adding on the /G suffix. Like said above... Pretty much only panel-mount GPS units make the aircraft /G... (As well as other issues ie. current database).

AirBaker said:
I don't know of any handheld GPS that are certified for IFR or adding on the /G suffix.
There is no provision in published FAA guidance for an uninstalled GPS to be certified for IFR and thus qualify for the /G. However, if you're VFR, unless you're filing an ADIZ VFR flight plan in the BaltoWash area, the equipment suffix is meaningless, since your flight plan doesn't go to ATC.

Back