Aircraft Rental Insurance

Warlock

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Warlock
Who do you use, and how much should I expect to pay? Thanks for your input. I know its based on limits probably need the minimum 5k/250k or so to start.

I'm required by my flight school to have $40k of hull insurance, which is what I have. Everyone at the flight school goes through Aviation West. I pay a little over $400 per year. I think?

Edited to add that I have just shy of 100 hours.

Last edited:
Last year, @ 86 hours I got a non-owned policy through AOPA. It was very reasonable at about $250-275 for the entire year. The renewal offer was even less at about $175-ish for same limits.

Plenty of players in this field, so it's worth shopping around.

I've also used Falcon (Parker Woodruff) and was happy with that arrangement.

Great news!!!! I saved about $50 on mine this year through AOPA by spending several grand to get my instrument rating. A lot probably depends on the coverage you are required to have. Mine costs about $150 / year.

Who do you use, and how much should I expect to pay? Thanks for your input. I know its based on limits probably need the minimum 5k/250k or so to start.
In terms if how much to carry, if your school has a "waiver of subrogation" for its renters, then you would be wise to carry at least the school's deductible amount for hull value, but probably would not gain much beyond that if you never fly anyone else's plane. If not, then you might want to consider a larger amount approaching the value of the planes you fly. On the liability side, $250K isn't much these days, but it will at least cover a good legal defense if a third party is injured.

As for my insurance, I get my non-owned coverage as part of my CFI policy through Falcon. Since that includes a lot of things beyond non-owned coverage, the price isn't relevant.

Thanks all AOPA seems to be the way to go while renting and picking up the new rating.

FWIW, if you have advanced ratings, call the insurance company to get better rates than those listed on the Internet.

Last year, @ 86 hours I got a non-owned policy through AOPA. It was very reasonable at about $250-275 for the entire year. The renewal offer was even less at about $175-ish for same limits.

Plenty of players in this field, so it's worth shopping around.

I've also used Falcon (Parker Woodruff) and was happy with that arrangement.

Ditto

Back