Aircraft Purchase: Registration

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Hypothetical scenario that the seller and buyer have shaken hands on the transaction, the deal is done, and the buyer is now in possession of the aircraft.

How is the "R" of the ARrOW document regulations handled during the transition period? Does the buyer operate under the existing Seller's registration until the new registration document is received? Or is there some other method that complies with this regulation?

The buyer fills out and signs the aircraft registration form, detaches the pink copy, and mails the original to the FAA with the original Bill of Sale. The pink copy goes in the airplane as the temporary registration (valid for 90 days or arrival of the permanent form, whichever comes first). See 14 CFR 47.31(c). Note that the pink copy temporary registration is not valid outside the USA. If you need to cross the border before the new one arrives, you need a special authorization from the FAA -- see http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...ion_aircraft_committed_internation_operation/.

The seller (if s/he has any sense at all) keeps the old registration, fills out and signs the back, and mails it to the FAA. See 14 CFR 47.41.

Last edited:
Thanks Ron. Where do I get a copy of the form? Ask the escrow agent to send us one? Check with the local FSDO?

Thanks Ron. Where do I get a copy of the form? Ask the escrow agent to send us one? Check with the local FSDO?

Call any A&P-IA in your area, they should have them.

You can down load a 8050-1 from FAA.GOV but I don't know how to get a pink one.

Both should have it. Note that this must be the actual paper form with carbon copies built in -- can't download it.

Have you tried??

the FAA did except a downloaded form from my insurance company transferring the title of my F-24..

How would that be any different than anyone using them?

Have you tried??

the FAA did except a downloaded form from my insurance company transferring the title of my F-24..

Because both the regulation and the FAA Aircraft Registry folks say so
The Aircraft Registration Application, AC Form 8050-1, is not available for download. You must use an original Aircraft Registration Application, AC Form 8050-1. We don't accept photocopies or computer-generated copies of this form. Aircraft Registration Applications may be obtained from the Aircraft Registration Branch or your local FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO). If you use a P.O. Box as a mailing address, you must also provide your street or physical location on the application.
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...cation/aircraft_registry/aircraft_regn_forms/

You find something from the FAA in writing to the contrary, you let me know.

Last edited:
They weren't worried about the new owner flying it.
Have you tried??

They weren't worried about the new owner flying it.

They were not worried about 3934V either, There were 2 gaps in the ownership trail, the first gap was filled by a downloaded form submitted by the pervious owner prior to the person I bought it from where we used a multi copy 8050-1 form.

I believe this is one place the written policy isn't always complied with. As long as there is no FAR saying the 8050-1 is required they have discretionary authority to get the sale recorded.

Now I would question if the down loaded form is legal to carry in the aircraft for 90 days, and as Ron has said it certainly would work crossing the international boundaries.

Even a fresh pink copy is n/g for temp intl ops. Gotta have a fly wire.
They were not worried about 3934V either, Therewere 2 gaps in the ownership trail, the first gap was filled by a downloaded form submitted by the pervious owner prior to the person I bought it from where we used a multi copy 8050-1 form.

I believe this is one place the written policy isn't always complied with. As long as there is no FAR saying the 8050-1 is required they have discretionary authority to get the sale recorded.

Now I would question if the down loaded form is legal to carry in the aircraft for 90 days, and as Ron has said it certainly would work crossing the international boundaries.

Call the FSDO and they'll stick them in the mail.

Most FBO's have them, and your local broker/dealer will have them as well, I got the last one I used from my local FBO. :D

There everywhere,try the local broker.Or you can usually go to your mechanic.

I "went" to the FSDO in Kansas City to pick one up. They're in the DOT building there, and the security guard at the front has a whole stack of them.

Be ready to go through a lot of extraneous BS if you're putting your plane in a trust.

I had to send in signed/sworn/notarized affidavits that everyone involved in the trust, including the beneficiaries, are legal residents of the US.

And there were other things that I don't recall right now, it took three submissions total.

All this post 9/11 BS is wearing thin.

I wasn't required to go through this nonsense when I bought my first plane and place it in the same trust. I wasn't required to do it when I bought my second plane and place it in my corporation...

Escrow companies are now being required by their banks to document a lot of information that has not heretofore been required. The US Treasury dept (who else) has mandated new "know your customer" rules that can cause a bit PITA, especially with legitimate international transactions. BTDT.

Be ready to go through a lot of extraneous BS if you're putting your plane in a trust.

I had to send in signed/sworn/notarized affidavits that everyone involved in the trust, including the beneficiaries, are legal residents of the US.

And there were other things that I don't recall right now, it took three submissions total.

All this post 9/11 BS is wearing thin.

I wasn't required to go through this nonsense when I bought my first plane and place it in the same trust. I wasn't required to do it when I bought my second plane and place it in my corporation...

The amusing thing is when they did the show the 21st century jet on the building of the 777, they showed the closing with wire transfers and people in Joklahoma city to file the papers all in a big conference calls. They still filled out the same forms we use for our planes complete with a guy saying "Run out and put this in the airplane" with the pink carbon on the temp. registration.

Back