Aircraft Preservation and Storage - Grumman Tiger

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
Anybody know what aircraft preservation and storage steps to take if it looks like the aircraft will be on the ground (mine's in a hangar) for 1 month, 3, months, 6 months, longer term?

- -

Back Story: About three months ago, battery wouldn't turn the engine, the battery box drain line had come loose. There was light corrosion in the bottom of the engine cowl and a corner of engine mount. So, I neutralized it, etched, primed and painted and got a new battery.

While I had it un-cowled, I decided to address wires tie wrapped to engine mount, wires tie wrapped to hoses, wiring rats nested and close lined (instead of bundled), I over hauled the mag switch (key sometimes wouldn't turn), pulled the prop to confirm P/N and S/N of prop (log book records were confused).

Part of buying a plane for me was to take care of it myself. I've had an A&P since the late 70s, I write instructions for other A&Ps and approve minor modifications for airline aircraft every day. This is something I really want to do.

About the same time I started working on the plane, I found a condo I liked, bought it moved into it etc.

So I haven't flown my Tiger for about three months. It's very close to being done. I'm very close to being unpacked after the move. It's all really good!

This has been my first year of aircraft ownership. I learned a lot. My skills for estimating time and parts requirements have improved a lot. I am undeterred about going forward, but have been wondering what I should have done before undertaking work that might take me X number of weekends to get through in the future.

Maybe have someone fly it for you on occasion. Perhaps somebody who hangars near you at KAWM. Hint, hint. Seriously, though, you might want to talk to Starnes. He's a very good A&P and is generous with advice.

Last edited:
Maybe have someone fly it for you on occasion. Perhaps somebody who hangars near you at KAWM. Hint, hint. Seriously, though, you might want to talk to Starnes. He's a very good A&P and is generous with advice.

I haven't asked him this particular question, but you are right. He's actually made the same offer, I'm just down the field odd hours or I'd probably over his hangar looking for advice more often.

I understand his brother was a Grumman dealer too. No doubt they both know more about my airplane than I do.

My insurance company does require anyone acting as PIC to have something like 10 hours in type.

I was kidding about flying your plane for you, ...well maybe just a little. Good luck!

On mine I pickled the engines and put in dessicant plugs, oiled controls and greased gear linkages, fogged wings and tailfeathers with corrosion-X, put mice guards around the wheels, removed batteries and put on a float charger, and covered the glass with sheets. It will sit for ~24 months.

On mine I pickled the engines and put in dessicant plugs, oiled controls and greased gear linkages, fogged wings and tailfeathers with corrosion-X, put mice guards around the wheels, removed batteries and put on a float charger, and covered the glass with sheets. It will sit for ~24 months.

Well, if you were in Coober Peddy a Dingo fence would have sufficed. :yes::D

Jeff's comments are very good. For more than 30 days, start with the engine preservation protocol in Lycoming Service Letter L180B to which he referred. You would also want to remove the battery and put it on a "battery tender". Depending on the environment, you might also want to take airframe corrosion prevention measures such as putting desiccant material in the wings, tail surfaces, aft fuselage, etc, and taping them over. Also, jacking it to keep it off the ground would be good for the tires -- maybe even removing them and wrapping them so they don't dry out. You would also want to cover the plane with bed sheeting or the like to keep the dust off.

It would have been best if you'd done that a long time ago, and the fact that your engine has been sitting idle for three months is not a good thing. I recommend that you get the engine inspected for internal corrosion at once so you know where you stand. Also take a good look at the tires -- they may be a bit out of round, and possibly dried out or cracked (although not likely in only three months).

Is your Tiger Flyable or are you working on it to make its Flyable ? For how long do you anticipate it being " moth balled" ?

Is your Tiger Flyable or are you working on it to make its Flyable ? For how long do you anticipate it being " moth balled" ?

I expect one or two weekends more before I'm ready to fly it again. Hopefully Ive reached reached the point there is nothing new to discover.

The last find was fuel line to engine driven fuel pump chafing on the air filter housing. Whoever it was that installed the fuel flowmeter didn't support the lines in any way whatsoever. It left a mark on the fire slieve, but didn't cut through, but when I did get it out and inspect it, the sleeve did have a cut in it.

I ordered replacement sleeve, now it's on back order.

I'm pretty slow. Parts take a few days at best. The local parts retailer doesn't keep much in stock.

Work and taking care of myself has to come before hobby, so each new repair takes one or two weekends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recently......a Cessna 180 which had sat for at least 30 years was pulled out of a hangar near here. The owner had passed away and had paid hangar rent all those years. It was bore scoped, the compression checked, ( oil changed, etc.) new gas poured in and fired up. It ran perfectly. Good compression. A new prop was installed and prop controls. It will be used to haul jumpers after a few hours of test flying. One never knows. ( this is in maryland, known for high humidity. ) 3 months sitting should not hurt an engine. Mine sits in winter for at least two often times. No problems. The worst thing you can do is pull it thru and not start and run it to operating temp. ( if you've had an AP all these years all this should be pretty well known to you. In addition, most insurance cos allow a licensed pilot who also works on your plane to fly it provided he also is a licensed mechanic.)

Last edited:
Recently......a Cessna 180 which had sat for at least 30 years was pulled out of a hangar near here. The owner had passed away and had paid hangar rent all those years. It was bore scoped, the compression checked, ( oil changed, etc.) new gas poured in and fired up. It ran perfectly.
The odds of duplicating that (especially with a Lycoming rather than a Continental engine) are astronomical. After that period of time, you'll be lucky if you can even turn the prop.

Back