Aircraft Mechanic Job in SC

Carol

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Carol
The airport here is looking for a mechanic. Click the link and then click "Multiple Listing" to see a description of the job. Under the pay scale tab it says the range is $30,000 to $37,000 with benefits.

http://www.cityofspartanburg.org/sp-jobs.htm

Carol said:
The airport here is looking for a mechanic. Click the link and then click "Multiple Listing" to see a description of the job. Under the pay scale tab it says the range is $30,000 to $37,000 with benefits.

http://www.cityofspartanburg.org/sp-jobs.htm

And one of the interview questions might be, "By the way, do you know "so-and-so", up in Maine?" (little private joke, there) :eek: :eek:

HR

Lawreston said:
And one of the interview questions might be, "By the way, do you know "so-and-so", up in Maine?" (little private joke, there) :eek: :eek:

HR
And which of the many personas would one use to answer the question correctly? :rolleyes:

gkainz said:
And which of the many personas would one use to answer the question correctly? :rolleyes:

Truly, there is a funny story which goes with the location in reference.

HR

Lawreston said:
Truly, there is a funny story which goes with the location in reference.

HR
Ah, I thought the correct answer would be, "Ah yup, you mean ol' Lawreston Jerry Harley Reich Crute? Yeah! Heck of a nice guy!"

gkainz said:
Ah, I thought the correct answer would be, "Ah yup, you mean ol' Lawreston Jerry Harley Reich Crute? Yeah! Heck of a nice guy!"

My lips arrre(roll the r(s) sihled; story not mine to tell. :no:

(Off to Wiscasset Airport to hang out; don't have to work until 1700 today.

“Under the pay scale tab it says the range is $30,000 to $37,000 with benefits.”

I can’t believe this is the going rate for a mechanic. Most automotive mechanics make more than that. Here the San Francisco Bay Area auto mechanics make $60 to 80 dollars an hour. Most of the aircraft FBO’s and paying $20 to $30 an hour.

Stache

Stache said:
“Under the pay scale tab it says the range is $30,000 to $37,000 with benefits.”

I can’t believe this is the going rate for a mechanic. Most automotive mechanics make more than that. Here the San Francisco Bay Area auto mechanics make $60 to 80 dollars an hour. Most of the aircraft FBO’s and paying $20 to $30 an hour.

Stache

I just post the links.

"I just post the links."

I know, but most mechanics I know are considering leaving aviation because they can't afford to feed their families. And we all know who will suffer (GA).

Stache

Stache said:

Stache

Stache I have to agree with you. Howard Orloff Jaguar in Chicago is paying $58/hour their mechs, charging it out at $80. One of the best local IAs is making $35K. Unbelievable.

Stache said:
"I just post the links."

I know, but most mechanics I know are considering leaving aviation because they can't afford to feed their families. And we all know who will suffer (GA).

Stache

I'll call the airport Monday and get the real skinny on it. I'll point out to them what the city's website is saying. Thanks for the heads-up.

Carol

I really don't think it's reasonable to compare pay rates in Chicago or San Fran with those in Spartenburg, SC. A 4 bedroom in in Spartenburg goes for 200K while the same in in SF goes for 1.2M 37K does seem to be quite low but you need to compare apples to apples.

The job offer was in 2005 (how many decades does it require to be a necropost)

Couple of things to keep in mind:

- few well paying jobs in SC
- low cost of living
- this was a goverment job. You have to add in the benefits, pension and job security when comparing this with an hourly job at a small business (as most GA maintenance facilities are).

Stache

Are you in the SF Bay Area? I'm always interested in meeting local pilots. I have access to a 152 and 172 in Petaluma. I know, not much, but it is still fun to fly.

Back