Aircraft donation

Mopauly

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paul Steklenski
Anyone have experience on either end? I run a non profit, and recently received my 501(c)(3) exemption from the IRS; I was evaluating this as one option to further the impact of the organization.

I was curious to know how successful folks have been or any experiences you've had.

You're going to have to explain what you mean by that? Are you talking about your non-profit accepting a donation of a plane? What do you intend to do with it? Fly it (for what purposes)? Raffle it off?

Sorry, yes, a donation of an aircraft for use in the non profit. Specifically this aircraft would owned by the non profit, be retrofitted and used exclusively for animal rescue transport purposes (i.e. a C182).

Last edited:
Love what you are doing paul... I volunteer with a rescue and we thought of doing something similar

Love what you are doing paul... I volunteer with a rescue and we thought of doing something similar

:thumbsup:

There is a large need :), I have no other real reason to fly.

How about flying humans to doctors when they re Ill?! That always seemed a more noble endeavor , provided you don't kill or injure them on the way.

How about flying humans to doctors when they re Ill?! That always seemed a more noble endeavor , provided you don't kill or injure them on the way.

Because most critters won't talk down to you for doing something your passionate about. And tell you how much better of a person you'd be if you did their idea instead. :dunno:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, yes I knew this would be coming :)

I started my organization because of restrictions around those organizations - most Angel flight organizations (AFE,AFW,PALS) have stiff requirements around hours and certifications; I believe in part some of these are set between lawyers and the FAA, for good reason. By the time I meet some of those requirements, I'll have helped save well over 500 to 1000 animals from euthanasia. You don't need anything special to help save an animal.

I did join Angel Flight East, out of Blue Bell PA as a ground volunteer, and after having conversations with their director, I found that there is usually never a shortage of pilots willing to fly their patients where they need to go. Additionally, they will pay for commercial flights if for some reason a volunteer pilot cannot. In the animal rescue world, thousands of animals are put down every single day, simply because they cannot get to areas where they would be adopted.

So, I found a way to make a positive difference with my ability to fly in a different way. No good deed goes unpunished, and I've learned to have a thick skin in the non profit world, so sarcasm doesn't bother me. I've done a lot of research and have had nothing but support from my local FSDO.

This year alone I've spent over $6,000 of my own money, renting aircraft and transporting animals from kill shelters to places they will be adopted and allowed to live. The goal is to own an aircraft under the non profit, to bring my operating costs down $30 to $40 per hour from where they are now, which increases my efficiency and allows me to help save even more animals. For $80 to $90 per hour, a C182 could allow me to transport up to 30 animals 100 to 140 miles in one hour, as opposed to the maximum of about 15 I can transport now, at over $120 per hour.

There will always be critics, but I sleep OK at night doing what I do :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Because most critters won't talk down to you for doing something your passionate about. And tell you how much better of a person you'd be if you did their idea instead. :dunno:

Wow. This post right here says a lot about the state this world is in.

Ah, yes I knew this would be coming :)

I started my organization because of restrictions around those organizations - most Angel flight organizations (AFE,AFW,PALS) have stiff requirements around hours and certifications; I believe in part some of these are set between lawyers and the FAA, for good reason. By the time I meet some of those requirements, I'll have helped save well over 500 to 1000 animals from euthanasia. You don't need anything special to help save an animal.

I did join Angel Flight East, out of Blue Bell PA as a ground volunteer, and after having conversations with their director, I found that there is usually never a shortage of pilots willing to fly their patients where they need to go. Additionally, they will pay for commercial flights if for some reason a volunteer pilot cannot. In the animal rescue world, thousands of animals are put down every single day, simply because they cannot get to areas where they would be adopted.

So, I found a way to make a positive difference with my ability to fly in a different way. No good deed goes unpunished, and I've learned to have a thick skin in the non profit world, so sarcasm doesn't bother me. I've done a lot of research and have had nothing but support from my local FSDO.

This year alone I've spent over $6,000 of my own money, renting aircraft and transporting animals from kill shelters to places they will be adopted and allowed to live. The goal is to own an aircraft under the non profit, to bring my operating costs down $30 to $40 per hour from where they are now, which increases my efficiency and allows me to help save even more animals. For $80 to $90 per hour, a C182 could allow me to transport up to 30 animals 100 to 140 miles in one hour, as opposed to the maximum of about 15 I can transport now, at over $120 per hour.

There will always be critics, but I sleep OK at night doing what I do :thumbsup:

I too spent many years saving animals. I work at the place they would bring all animals to be killed think animal control. I would load up my car with as many as I could and take them home. I then spent my spare time finding homes for these animals. They fired me.

It was my job to drive the dead animals to a recycling center. They made dog food and cosmetics out of these dead animals and still do to this day.

I hated that job.

Tony

Wow. This post right here says a lot about the state this world is in.

Because I believe it's not my place to tell someone what a more 'noble' action would be to spend their time/energy/money on??

:yes::yes::yes:

What part of PA are you from, Paul?

It is very hard to get aircraft donated, and very rare that it happens. It requires the right combination of a person for whom the finances can work with an airplane they want to get rid of, who also agrees with your cause. That combination is hard to find.

But, it did happen for Cloud Nine when I least expected it, and I fell out of my chair when I read the eMail asking if we could use "Sugar Pop", a 1967 310N with timed out engines. The 310 was donated a bit over 5 years ago now. As we all know, the cheapest part of an airplane is the purchase price. Both engines were at TBO, avionics were good but dated and I had several expensive failures, some airframe issues, and various upgrades later there's a lot of cash that went into that plane. 800 or so hours later, that's a lot of dogs saved.

I have no real advice on how to make it happen other than be in the right place at the right time.

Ted; which aircraft did you fly to Belize?

Ted; which aircraft did you fly to Belize?

The 310. The Aztec was in the process of being sold to the A&P school at that point. Actually it wouldn't have worked on the strip I landed at, those low-to-the-ground wings would've hit the brush (25' wide runway).

It is very hard to get aircraft donated, and very rare that it happens. It requires the right combination of a person for whom the finances can work with an airplane they want to get rid of, who also agrees with your cause. That combination is hard to find.

But, it did happen for Cloud Nine when I least expected it, and I fell out of my chair when I read the eMail asking if we could use "Sugar Pop", a 1967 310N with timed out engines. The 310 was donated a bit over 5 years ago now. As we all know, the cheapest part of an airplane is the purchase price. Both engines were at TBO, avionics were good but dated and I had several expensive failures, some airframe issues, and various upgrades later there's a lot of cash that went into that plane. 800 or so hours later, that's a lot of dogs saved.

I have no real advice on how to make it happen other than be in the right place at the right time.

Agreed. I've heard of it happening, I just may have to be a convincing salesman. I could see it being a bigger advantage to an aircraft resale business where the tax write-off may be helpful. Additionally with the FMV option it may help move an aircraft that others may not think worth it. My needs are pretty specific, and the Cessna 182 really fits the bill quite well from a range, useful load, ease of ingress/egress and operating cost perspective.

IDK, it's a big ask. We'll see. I've made great strides since I founded this organization in May of this year, I don't plan to stop now. As long as there is money in my pocket dogs will fly either way.

:yes::yes::yes:

What part of PA are you from, Paul?

South Eastern, just outside of Philly, 10 minutes from KPTW and 40 min from KDYL. I trained at and fly from KDYL as I'm checked out in all of the Pipers (minus the Arrow) and Cessna's there so I always have options for transports. Right now I use the Archers the most as I can load up to about 15 dogs in one and still have full tanks.

I put a wanted ad on trade-a-plane :rofl:

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/2155735.html

Last edited:
South Eastern, just outside of Philly, 10 minutes from KPTW and 40 min from KDYL. I trained at and fly from KDYL as I'm checked out in all of the Pipers (minus the Arrow) and Cessna's there so I always have options for transports. Right now I use the Archers the most as I can load up to about 15 dogs in one and still have full tanks.

I put a wanted ad on trade-a-plane :rofl:

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/2155735.html

Cool! Feel free to stop by and say hello if you ever make it over to CXY

But you also have a genius for an attorney!:D

Paul, does Penn Airways care if you fly 15 dogs in one of their rentals?

Also to clarify a few things: First Angel Flight East nor any other PBFO for that matter can ever have enough pilots, sometimes filling missions can be a challenge. Also sticking someone on an airline if a pilot can't be found is not always that simple. The cost is high and more importantly many people who need the services of AFE or other Public Benefit Flying Organizations (PBFOs) are immune compromised so airline travel may not be an option medically.

So that said, there are many folks who like to fly dogs not because they don't want to help people but they 1) may not have the hours or ratings to fly people for PBFOs. 2) They don't want the stress or pressure of flying someone who needs to get to medical treatment, it is a big responsibility and pilots who don't feel they can safely complete a mission may ( unnecessarily ) feel guilty canceling. PBFO's drill it in to their volunteer pilots heads that Safety is rule #1 and they should not feel guilty, but it is human nature. 3) Flying Dogs from shelter to shelter or foster homes tends to accommodate a pilots schedule a bit easier in other words it the dogs get there Monday or Tuesday it probably does not matter. 4) VFR pilots can fly Dogs. 5) many dog missions are shorter than the average people mission although there are obviously exceptions and Cloud Nine is the operator for long distance Dog rescues and most of those missions are .far longer than any people missions. 6) Dog missions can be flown in experimental aircraft while to the best of my knowledge most PBFOs that fly people must fly certified aircraft ( insurance issue) 7) While W&B issues affect every flight its often time harder to stay within the envelope on people missions than dog missions.

Paul you really should check out The Air Care Alliance which is an umbrella organization for not for profit PBFOs. They are a good group that educates and advocates for PBFOs including animal rescue organizations.

And, by the way, Thank you for volunteering as a ground volunteer for Angel Flight East! We can use all the help we can get.

Last edited:
But you also have a genius for an attorney!:D

Paul, does Penn Airways care if you fly 15 dogs in one of their rentals?

Also to clarify a few things: First Angel Flight East nor any other PBFO for that matter can ever have enough pilots, sometimes filling missions can be a challenge. Also sticking someone on an airline if a pilot can't be found is not always that simple. The cost is high and more importantly many people who need the services of AFE or other Public Benefit Flying Organizations (PBFOs) are immune compromised so airline travel may not be an option medically.

So that said, there are many folks who like to fly dogs not because they don't want to help people but they 1) may not have the hours or ratings to fly people for PBFOs. 2) They don't want the stress or pressure of flying someone who needs to get to medical treatment, it is a big responsibility and pilots who don't feel they can safely complete a mission may ( unnecessarily ) feel guilty canceling. PBFO's drill it in to their volunteer pilots heads that Safety is rule #1 and they should not feel guilty, but it is human nature. 3) Flying Dogs from shelter to shelter or foster homes tends to accommodate a pilots schedule a bit easier in other words it the dogs get there Monday or Tuesday it probably does not matter. 4) VFR pilots can fly Dogs. 5) many dog missions are shorter than the average people mission although there are obviously exceptions and Cloud Nine is the operator for long distance Dog rescues and most of those missions are .far longer than any people missions. 6) Dog missions can be flown in experimental aircraft while to the best of my knowledge most PBFOs that fly people must fly certified aircraft ( insurance issue) 7) While W&B issues affect every flight its often time harder to stay within the envelope on people missions than dog missions.

Paul you really should check out The Air Care Alliance which is an umbrella organization for not for profit PBFOs. They are a good group that educates and advocates for PBFOs including animal rescue organizations.

And, by the way, Thank you for volunteering as a ground volunteer for Angel Flight East! We can use all the help we can get.

Hi Adam, I think I may have met you at one of the AFE tech meetings? I'm not sure. I'm still in contact with Dom and Ellen as I had offered IT consulting services for free to help them out in the office, on the network and infrastructure side, just haven't been able to get back for a visit for a while.

I've only done a handful of missions out of KPTW for varying factors, but they've never complained about me transporting animals. The FBO I frequently fly from doesn't mind as long as I keep the aircraft clean. The staff and the owner actually really support my efforts and have been a big help in the process. I'm not immune to long flights, the only thing that prevents longer than I do now is overall out of pocket costs, which will be slightly reduced as a 501c3. The typical missions I fly now are 4 to 5 hours (in legs) in one day. The goal is to have an owned aircraft under the org to take it to the next level; inherently, at a minimum this comes with strings attached to the FAR's, of which I've discussed with my FSDO; they've also been a huge help and very supportive in guidance to ensure compliance.

I am aware of the Air Care Alliance, a friend who recently started Pilots to the Rescue is a member with this org, I'll have to talk to him about it.

Last edited:
Back