Aircraft Detection Lighting System

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
Anyone have any experience with one of these?
They are standardized in Chapter 14 of the new AC 70/7460-1L.

"14.1 Purpose.
Aircraft Detection Lighting Systems (ADLS) are sensor-based systems designed to detect aircraft as they approach an obstruction or group of obstructions; these systems automatically activate the appropriate obstruction lights until they are no longer needed by the aircraft. This technology reduces the impact of nighttime lighting on nearby communities and migratory birds and extends the life expectancy of obstruction lights."

"14.2 General Standards.
14.2.1 The system should be designed with sufficient sensors to provide complete detection coverage for aircraft that enter a three-dimensional volume of airspace, or coverage area, around the obstruction(s) (see Figure A-27 in Appendix A), as follows:
1. Horizontal detection coverage should provide for obstruction lighting to be activated and illuminated prior to aircraft penetrating the perimeter of the volume, which is a minimum of 3 NM (5.5 km) away from the obstruction or the perimeter of a group of obstructions.
2. Vertical detection coverage should provide for obstruction lighting to be activated and illuminated prior to aircraft penetrating the volume, which extends from the ground up to 1,000 feet (304 m) above the highest part of the obstruction or group of obstructions, for all areas within the 3 NM (5.5 km) perimeter defined in subparagraph 14.2.1 1 above.
3. In some circumstances, it may not be possible to meet the volume area defined above because the terrain may mask the detection signal from acquiring an aircraft target within the 3 NM (5.5 km) perimeter. In these cases, the sponsor should identify these areas in their application to the FAA for further evaluation.
4. In some situations, lighting not controlled by the ADLS may be required when the 3 NM (5.5 km) perimeter is not achievable to ensure pilots have sufficient warning before approaching the obstructions."

Will it see your Piper Cub?
"14.2.7 The ADLS should be able to detect an aircraft with a cross-sectional area of 1 square meter or more within the volume, as required in subparagraphs 14.2.1 1 and 14.2.1 2."

There is a voice/audible option which you can read about.

I've not had any experience with one of these. Have you?

To my knowledge all I have seen are permanently lit ones. I sort of prefer it that way. Simpler is normally better.

I've never seen that but 3 NM is not enough for my liking and I wouldn't trust it anyway. If you must (or prefer to) fly that low, make sure you have all the obstacles marked on a map and look for them if they aren't already familiar. I like Foreflight's Hazard Advisor for this but all the major EFBs have it.

So towers and smokestacks will suddenly pop into view at 3 nm in poor visibility or dusky conditions, while I'm moving 2 nm/min. Great, 90 whole seconds to see it, decide if it's a problem, figure out which way to turn, roll in aileron and rudder and start the turn. Then there are the guy wires . . .

I've Ben to airports with towers, antennas and smokestacks just two or three miles away . . . That's generally where I like to be down at pattern altitude so I can bleed off speed.

Windmills are generally not that high above the ground but at night from the hilltops all of the permanently lit windmills between Suisun and Rio Vista look pretty ridiculous. Somehow they get them all to flash in unison. I honestly don't think anyone is out there flying around at 400 feet at night.

Windmills are generally not that high above the ground but at night from the hilltops all of the permanently lit windmills between Suisun and Rio Vista look pretty ridiculous. Somehow they get them all to flash in unison. I honestly don't think anyone is out there flying around at 400 feet at night.

Unless you're flying a helicopter. Or a "drone."

Or you're landing at Byron or Rio Vista.

The big windmills are 328 feet high. Are you really going to be 320 ft AGL three miles out from the airport at night for a landing? The ones at Byron are on the hills, you never come close to them even when taking off on 23. I think they are good candidates for detected lighting.

So towers and smokestacks will suddenly pop into view at 3 nm in poor visibility or dusky conditions, while I'm moving 2 nm/min. Great, 90 whole seconds to see it, decide if it's a problem, figure out which way to turn, roll in aileron and rudder and start the turn. Then there are the guy wires . . .

I've Ben to airports with towers, antennas and smokestacks just two or three miles away . . . That's generally where I like to be down at pattern altitude so I can bleed off speed.

90 seconds is actually a ****load long time to react to something. A loaded coal train can safely stop in less from mainline speed. A loaded VLCC Oil tanker is in the neighborhood as well. Remember, 3 miles is VFR, and if you have less than 3, you should be on a clearance that keeps you safe from obstructions.

I have seen this mentioned in an accident report from somewhere in the northwest. Iirc they installed one of these on a set of powerlines that cross the Columbia River gorge.

In Norway they were testing a similar system, except that it has a broadband transmitter that sends an obnoxious warning tone via the aircraft/helicopter radio.

Back