Aircraft Data by Tail Number

JackH

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jaywalker
First post. I'm returning to flying (SEL) after some years and have been interested in evaluating used aircraft while lurking here. I'd appreciate it if you'd clarify what I think I understand.

1. There are no free price evaluations of aircraft such as is found in the Kelly Blue Book for cars.

2. myairplane.com provides an effective look at the FAA view of GA by tail number by providing the reports they do have.

3. Aircraft tail numbers, "Nxxxxx," are not in use by two aircraft at the same time.

(Note: I ask #3 because of an interesting issue recently that arose in the discussion regarding the new ad rule in "Site Feedback and Support." As one example of a horror story, there is a link to a 1966 "Uboat Mooney," with tail number N199Q clearly showing in the pic, while myairplane.com lists N199Q as being a twin Beech involved in an accident in 1999.)

I don't yet belong to AOPA, so do I have any options when it comes to getting advice on price or gear that's no longer supportable or possibly constructed from unobtanium?

Thanks.

First post. I'm returning to flying (SEL) after some years and have been interested in evaluating used aircraft while lurking here. I'd appreciate it if you'd clarify what I think I understand.

1. There are no free price evaluations of aircraft such as is found in the Kelly Blue Book for cars.

2. myairplane.com provides an effective look at the FAA view of GA by tail number by providing the reports they do have.

3. Aircraft tail numbers, "Nxxxxx," are not in use by two aircraft at the same time.

(Note: I ask #3 because of an interesting issue recently that arose in the discussion regarding the new ad rule in "Site Feedback and Support." As one example of a horror story, there is a link to a 1966 "Uboat Mooney," with tail number N199Q clearly showing in the pic, while myairplane.com lists N199Q as being a twin Beech involved in an accident in 1999.)

I don't yet belong to AOPA, so do I have any options when it comes to getting advice on price or gear that's no longer supportable or possibly constructed from unobtanium?

Thanks.

1. Not free that I know of but if you're an AOPA member you can use their Vref tool for free. Also Trade-a-plane has NAAA values if I recall correctly but I think there's a fee to join.

2. Use the FAA database instead. [urlhttp://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/[/url]

3. Not supposed to be but they do get de-registered then registered again. The FAA database will show you that, typically. Search "John and Martha King detained" to see how this can be negative if you wind up reusing the wrong N-Number

Last edited:
Thanks, that helps.

I can see on the FAA site that the 199Q is re-registered. One can only imagine why a 1963 Mooney needs to be re-registered.

Aircraft brokers can give you an idea of pricing. There is a KBB for aircraft they have access to. You might inquire at your nearby FBO, especially if they buy and sell aircraft. Some, like mine, don't mind taking a few minutes to help someone "just kicking the tires".
John Baker has a nice warrior for sale under Classifieds and seems appropriately priced.

I can see on the FAA site that the 199Q is re-registered. One can only imagine why a 1963 Mooney needs to be re-registered.
Nothing sinister about that, in and of itself. Perhaps the Mooney owner wanted the registration number because it meant something to him; he checked the FAA database and found it available, paid the ten bucks and had it applied to his airplane.

The Cheetah I used to own was on its third registration number when I sold it -- the prior owner changed from the original number to one with his initials at the end, and when I had the airplane painted I changed it to one that referred to a favorite verse of Scripture (if you were to research that number you'd find it formerly was on a PSA BAe-146 airliner).

Okay, thanks. Also, while I'm not looking for a Warrior, exactly, I will look at that one and compare it to the prices on T-a-P - thans for the heads-up; that's a data point.

Okay, thanks. Also, while I'm not looking for a Warrior, exactly, I will look at that one and compare it to the prices on T-a-P - thans for the heads-up; that's a data point.

90% of the planes on TAP are overpriced and might never sell 50% are YGBFSM overpriced. 100% are above what the deal will close for. At least in the typical spam can categories. Join AOPA, use vRef as a high value for an immaculate example, subtract 20% for "normal condition". Don't believe the interior and paint ratings put out by sellers. Never check those as I believe they put too much weight on cosmetics on older planes and most owner's are a little overly optimistic on the P&I anyway.

This is my system for making offers and only based on my recent experience purchasing a plane. It ought to give you a starting point.

I sold my plane in a week at 2K under asking (roughly 10%) and POed 2 other buyers in the process. Good stuff priced right isn't sitting around long. That stuff that's been getting posted over and over, month after month is probably way overpriced, a POS or both. There's a lot more of the latter.

Last edited:
Thanks. I expected they were overpriced, but with no data points it's hard to be sure.

Back