Aircraft Carpet

akpilot907

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
citabriav8tr
Need Aircraft Carpet advice

Soo... I'm in the final stages of my Citabria floor board/interior project...

Any suggestions on a good aircraft carpet supplier? I've had my sights on Airtex...

Last edited:
Id just go automotive, higher quality and more choices, company in Canada will burn cert a sample of it for cheap.

I'd pour cement. More durable that way. Make it thick so it lasts.

:)

Might as well throw my dollar bills into the batch of cement for structure support! :goofy:

I haven't done it myself, but I hear hundreds are better for that. Something to do with fiber bonding.

Airtex is cheap, lots of people use it but, I wouldn't recommend it.

SCS has better quality and more expensive though I not sure if they have precut for your rig.

You might call Shelby at tnwings.com and see if he can help you out.

Many auto interior products pass the burn requirement of fire resistant, BUT when they are subjected to a flame they will burn and produce fumes that are very toxic.

be careful what you you use.

Wherever you go, be sure they will deliver when the SAY they will. I am not at all impressed with small Aviation Vendors.

Wherever you go, be sure they will deliver when the SAY they will. I am not at all impressed with small Aviation Vendors.

Go to Carpet Town or whatever down the street then, most everywhere still has some wool carpets.

Any good wool carpet.

Wool has great burn characteristics. Set it on fire and it self-extinguishes.

Nylon carpet using type 6 fiber is pretty good too. Look for a product with at least a Class 1 fire rating.

Do not mount any carpet in a vertical orientation. Flame propagation in the vertical direction is MUCH different than on a horizontal surface, and a carpet that would self extinguish in a floor installation might not if installed on a vertical surface.

20 or so years ago, there was a substantial hotel fire (maybe in Vegas, I forget) where one of the underlying factors was the hotel had run carpet 4' up the walls. The carpet on the floor did just fine. The stuff on the walls burned enthusiastically.

The Citabria type certificate is a mish mosh of CAR3 and FAR23 stuff. I'm not sure it's exempt from the burn requirement.

The Citabria type certificate is a mish mosh of CAR3 and FAR23 stuff. I'm not sure it's exempt from the burn requirement.

It cost $25 to get a burn certificate last time I had one done a couple of years ago, wool will not fail.

23.853 Passenger and crew compartment interiors.
For each compartment to be used by the crew or passengers:

(a) The materials must be at least flame-resistant;

(b) [Reserved]

23.853 Passenger and crew compartment interiors.
For each compartment to be used by the crew or passengers:

(a) The materials must be at least flame-resistant;

(b) [Reserved]

You're talking about a Muskateer Sport, right? That's a CAR3 airplane.
From page 9-45 from AC43.13-1B
9-61. CAR-3 AIRCRAFT INTERIOR.
The requirement for an interior of a CAR-3 aircraft that is used only in 14 CFR, part 91 operations, where smoking is not permitted, is that the materials shall be flash-resistant. (Reference CAR-3.388.)

I took the carpet out of my plane and painted the plywood floor. It rains a lot here and removing carpet keeps mold, mildew under control.

Alaska Rubber's diamond plate rolled rubber mat is the most popular airplane flooring I know of. (In Alaska) Carpet wouldn't suit me at all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    875.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Huh.... the first post says CITABRIA and as I stated, that type certificate is full of all sorts of notes in the certification basis.

Even assuming part 23, it's easy to find already certified carpet and if not, as Henning points out, it's real easy to get a burn cert on something that would qualify anyway like wool.

My error. I got the other two Alaskan guys mixed up.

The American Champion amended TCDS is interesting with the inclusion of parts of Part 23, but those are generally regarding structure and nowhere does it include any reference to Part 23 interior requirements (23.853). I do appreciate the comments. It made me learn something new today.

Last edited:

FAR regulation supersedes an AC. FAR 23 is the acceptable data for replacement parts. ( FAR 43.13

Back