Airbus squawks 7500 on accident

And if you run across your old buddy Jack in the terminal, best to greet him with "hello, John!"

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not sure why they handled it that way. Proper (FAA) ATC phraseology is “(AC ID) verify squawking 7500?” If the reply in the negative (not subject to unlawful interference) and a correct code is entered, no further investigation is needed on the ATC end. If the reply is in the affirmative and the code continues to be displayed, then you send out the calvary.

The OP really should specify that this event happened on the ground during boarding. Also, the strange thing is that reports of 3 bad guys with knives were widespread.

As usual, the comments bring out the fun stuff. How many, I wonder, TURN OFF their transponder before changing the squawk code? None with a modern transponder, for sure...

What is an intern in this context? Explaining what transponder codes are for wouldn’t be needed even with a student pilot that had gotten just into the basics.
Also would be very interesting where the “three guys with knives” (being so specific as to count and weapons) came from out of accidentally squawking 7500.

But is it true they would have to verify to ATC? Seems like that could lead to a situation if they really were hijacked. Might have gotten away with discretely squawking it, but when asked to verify might reveal to hijackers that the pilot was disobeying, etc.

Intern in Europe often means a new copilot in a few months. Get some sim time and learn to fly on the job!

Just dial on through, without going by 7500 or even 7600. One can usually just change the last digit 1st, as long as it’s not a zero.

No need to turn off, no reason to ‘flash’ unless asked.

if you do a silly thing, and dial-thru 7500, 7600, 7700, on your way from one code to another - would it likely be an issue?

I would think it quite unlikely that the transponder would squak out the code, if you were actively rotating the knobs. It's not a continuous data-stream. You'd need to come to rest on one of those numbers to assure the code hit ATC.

Back