Air Wilmington at ILM

NC Pilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
NC Pilot
A few weeks ago I stopped at Wilmington, NC and refueled (about 20 gallons) at Air Wilmington. Nice place, good people and convenient. Yesterday I got a very nice letter saying they appreciated my patronage. Included in this letter was an offer that if I brought this letter in the next time I stop for fuel I would recieve a $0.10 discount of my next fuel purchase. Mind you, not a $0.10 per gallon discount, but a whole entire $0.10 discount from the fuel purchase. I really appreciated the offer and will bring the letter next time I go to ILM, but it cost them $.39 to give me 10 cents off my next fuel purchase.

I love it...:yes:

oh, cummon, that's gotta be a typo. Surely they meant a 10 cent per gallon discount, or possible a dollar or ten dollars off the total bill.

Why don't you call them and ask if you're reading it right. I mean, you don't even find 10 cent coupons in the newspaper anymore.

LOL Prolly $0.10 a gallon. :)

Or you could just taxi to the other side of the field & use the self serve pump also owned by Air Wilmington. Price is usually .25 -.30 cheaper than the full serve price.

heck, it'd probablyl cost you $0.11 to carry the letter with you in the plane . . .

Somday, probably way in the future after I get my IR (and believe me, that's years from now) I hope to make the XC from KAID to KILM in our 182. I think it's just a wee bit too far to go VFR only. I have relatives who live near Wilmington and I do love it down there at the beach!

mattaxelrod said:
oh, cummon, that's gotta be a typo. Surely they meant a 10 cent per gallon discount, or possible a dollar or ten dollars off the total bill.

Why don't you call them and ask if you're reading it right. I mean, you don't even find 10 cent coupons in the newspaper anymore.
It probably is ten cents per gallon, but that is not what it says. I will be going there again anyway, so we'll see what comes of it.

Just thought it was humorous.

Eamon said:
LOL Prolly $0.10 a gallon. :)

Or you could just taxi to the other side of the field & use the self serve pump also owned by Air Wilmington. Price is usually .25 -.30 cheaper than the full serve price.
The problem is I usually get picked up by someone unfamiliar with the area and Air Wilmington is just easier to find.

etsisk said:
heck, it'd probablyl cost you $0.11 to carry the letter with you in the plane . . .
Not compared to all the other crap I usually carry anyway, but you are probably close to right...

inav8r said:
Somday, probably way in the future after I get my IR (and believe me, that's years from now) I hope to make the XC from KAID to KILM in our 182. I think it's just a wee bit too far to go VFR only.

Bah! I used to think the same thing, and I was really worried about going VFR from MSN (Madison, WI) to LEX (Lexington, KY) the first time I did it. I've now done that trip (374nm) twice VFR. In November, no less!

But, I put those to shame last summer, I went VFR from MSN to EFD (Houston, TX). I absolutely LOVE those long VFR cross countries! :goofy:

The thing with the long VFR X-C's is you might have to wait a day or two, or go a day or two early (though I haven't had to). But, they are excellent learning experiences. :yes:

no way it's too far VFR, man! Airplanes are for exploring!!! I just can't wait 'til I finish the training and get set loose . . . heheheheh - exploring is what it's all about.

inav8r said:
Somday, probably way in the future after I get my IR (and believe me, that's years from now) I hope to make the XC from KAID to KILM in our 182. I think it's just a wee bit too far to go VFR only. I have relatives who live near Wilmington and I do love it down there at the beach!

Why is it "too far to go VFR only"? I have flown "VFR only" from Seattle to Dallas without a problem. KAID > KILM is 560 NM via Victor airways. It should only be one ot two stops in a 182. Just plan the flight and fly the plan.

Last edited:
Ok, ok, too far for MY comfort because of the frequent weather patterns SOMEWHERE between here and there and because my job doesn't allow for the deviations in my schedule that would be necessary to let the said weather to settle down.

Of course looking at the satellite and forecase for the next 24-26 hours it would be a perfect day to make the flight! ;)

From here it's a 12-13 hour drive... and it would only be a 4 hour flight in the 182... I could even do a long weekend I guess.

Hrmmm, time to buy some charts.

inav8r said:
From here it's a 12-13 hour drive... and it would only be a 4 hour flight in the 182... I could even do a long weekend I guess.
Hrmmm, time to buy some charts.
YAAAAAAY!!!! :D

And FWIW, I read the letter and yep, it's ten cents off the purchase!! (sure, probably they meant per gallon and just don't understand why folks are flocking in to take advantage of that deal!:))

I got a coupon in the mail the other day from an FBO that said that they had the Largest Discount Coupons ever offered. No discount for fuel, just that the coupon was printed on a legal size sheet of paper....:rofl:

etsisk said:
YAAAAAAY!!!! :D

And FWIW, I read the letter and yep, it's ten cents off the purchase!! (sure, probably they meant per gallon and just don't understand why folks are flocking in to take advantage of that deal!:))

Back