Air Taxis & the Battle of the Bathrooms

Which air taxi would you use?

• Potty.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • No potty.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I can hold it.

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • I'll bring my own Gatorade bottle, thank you.

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

rpadula

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PancakeBunny
Cute little story about the A700 vs. Eclipse 500 and whether or not having a potty on board makes a difference to air taxi patrons.

Hey! Let's make it into a poll. Potty or no potty?

-Rich

Old farts like me gotta have a potty!

(That's what I love about helicopters -- I can't fly long enough to run out of gas!).

I'd guess the restrooms on most light aircraft are already pretty "emergency use only" with those flimsy curtains.

Bill Jennings said:
How long are the hops?
"How often do you have to go?" Mr. Raburn asked. "What DayJet is planning to do -- and what the majority of our customers are planning to use their planes for -- is fly 300 to 500 miles, in 40 to 80 minutes. Lots of people commute by car that long and don't have to stop."

I was trying out the new interior of the A700 at AirVenture and the first thing the PR woman said to me when we got in was "and look at the neat way they did the potty." She then proceded to show me how the wooden door retracts into the floor.

Obviously they think it's a big deal. Myself, I do not. I have flown and will fly 6 hour legs without stopping if I'm by myself. With the family aboard, we've never had a problem with 4 hour legs and in 15 years I have never had to make an unscheduled stop for a bathroom. Given the hassle of cleaning the darn things, I'll continue to take my chances and consent to a landing should the need arise.

My unscientific observations about airplane lavs: The nicer it is, the more more convenient it is, the more likely someone will use it... sometimes even before you shut the door and start the engines or after you land and are waiting for them to get off. Hmmm, why is the door to the lav closed? Nooooo! :rolleyes:

At least your outflow valves are in the back instead of the front like the Learjets. Who was the guy that thought of that! Quick don masks work handy in this occasion also.

Brent Bradford said:
At least your outflow valves are in the back instead of the front like the Learjets. Who was the guy that thought of that! Quick don masks work handy in this occasion also.
LOL. Actually I have way more time with the front outflow valves than the rear (6 years as opposed to 1). That's how I developed my theory of lavs. As you know, it's a real production to use the one in the 35 especially if someone is already using it as a seat or you have stuff stacked on it. Consequently people manage their, well, you know, much better than if it's just a walk to the back and close the door as it is in the 55 and the Hawker. I guess that was enough information...

In the old days, when I was a jet-setting corporate executive instead of a diaper-changing stay-at-home dad, I had a rule for travel by which I lived.

To wit:
Eat when you can, use the head when you can, because you never know when you'll get another chance.

The more opportunities the better. I get nervous if there isn't a head or a source of food nearby. Of course, some heads are better than others. I was in a J31 or J41 one time and, oh, well, that's best left for another time....

flyersfan31 said:
Eat when you can, use the head when you can, because you never know when you'll get another chance.
That's a good rule for pilots too. Only the onboard lav is a last resort. You use it, you clean it, or at least supervise having it done. :vomit:

Awhile back there was a thread on this subject on another sight. Wish I could remember the name. but I was on the floor laughing at the story's about punching a grumpy, and other discomforting times:goofy:
Joe

Back