Air Taxi Service

I met quite a few guys doing single pilot 135 float plane operations while I was in Homer. They only work the summer season, so they must make a little scratch.

Anyone have an idea of what it would cost to insure a Cirrus or similar for a single plane/pilot operation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have an idea of what it would cost to insure a Cirrus or similar for a single plane/pilot operation?

The liability portion is multiples of what it costs to insure it for private use. Hull is not much different.

There is one way to do it legally, but it's not exactly what most people would expect from a charter operation.

If the customer rents the airplane, then hires a CPL to fly said airplane it's a part 91 flight, and not subject to all the BS of getting a 135 cert. It's basically the same as someone hiring a CPL to fly their plane for them. Not that many people willing to go through the hassle of renting a plane and hiring a pilot separately though.

There is one way to do it legally, but it's not exactly what most people would expect from a charter operation.

If the customer rents the airplane, then hires a CPL to fly said airplane it's a part 91 flight, and not subject to all the BS of getting a 135 cert. It's basically the same as someone hiring a CPL to fly their plane for them. Not that many people willing to go through the hassle of renting a plane and hiring a pilot separately though.

But who would rent a non pilot an airplane?

But who would rent a non pilot an airplane?

It's pretty common to rent a non-pilot an airplane and give them a list of "recommended" pilots they could contact should they need pilot services..... wink, wink.

I've seen this done. Not sure if it passes the FSDO "smell test", but it is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A single pilot 135 is viable if you can do your own maintenance, have access to a discount airplane parts warehouse, and don't mind eating noodles. I was astounded when I had a chat with the owner of the company about the costs of running a relatively small 135 company. 4 airplanes, 10 employees, and the monthly cost is jaw-dropping, As in you could buy a duke every week and look good in your new duke every week staggering.

Back