Air Sick anyone?!

JasonCT

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JasonCT
So I had a first for me in my flying the other day that has really played on my psychie!

I was coming home to HYA from about 3 hours of flying and about 30 miles from home all of a sudden I start to feel really "strange" hot, sweats, my stomach doesn't feel right....(3 hours of turbulance in a 150, and not eating breakfast) and I asked my instructor to fly and he decided to land at PYM (which was in sight when the episode occured) and I hitched a ride back to the Cape via car after I settled myseld for a bit.

Let me tell you, this has played on my psychie a lot!!! About 3 weeks to my checkride and bam!

Thanks for letting me vent!

High heat and high altitudes can play havoc on your system. To some degree I wonder if you were dehydrated?

Greebo said:
High heat and high altitudes can play havoc on your system. To some degree I wonder if you were dehydrated?

Good point. Those spam can can get very hot in summer. Plus, being a student involves a high degree of stress already. Three hours, no food, no or little water, and intense concentration can drain and fatigue any of us.

If you didn't spew during those wake-bump chasing steep turn 360's your CFI made you do (after a half dozen stalls) then chances are good you don't suffer "air sickness" to any significant degree.

Man, I'm really sensitive to that stuff. I use the Relief Band, which works well for me - though I'm irked that they aren't making it anymore! They're coming out with a pill, and the Relief Band works so well, it would compete with the pill, so they're dropping the Band. Dang. I bought a second one so I would have it when I needed it!

No just an odd sensation all of a sudden -- I personally think that it is the facT that I hadn't had anything to eat all day, rather turbulant, and the stress --- but I'll tell you I really beat myself up after that episode!

Last edited:
CapeCodJay said:
No just an odd sensation all of a sudden -- I personally think that it is the face that I hadn't had anything to eat all day, rather turbulant, and the stress --- but I'll tell you I really beat myself up after that episode!
Food and water may be the key. I worked on a research ship for a couple of years. I only got queasy a couple of times, but each time was on an ampty stomach. Eating made it go away.

(I was working for Woods Hole Oceanographic Inst. at the time).

Bob you worked for WHOI?! (did you get to fly while you were out here) What a beautiful area out there! I have a friend that works for the Woods Whole Contry Club and I play there ever now and then --- what an area!

CapeCodJay said:
Bob you worked for WHOI?! (did you get to fly while you were out here) What a beautiful area out there! I have a friend that works for the Woods Whole Contry Club and I play there ever now and then --- what an area!
Yeah. I cringe to think how many years ago that was... I took off a little over two years between my soph. and junior years in college and spent most of the time at sea on the Atlantis II and Crawford (which was an old Coast Guard cutter which has long since been retired I think). I worked there from 1963-65, but didn't start flying until many years later.

Jay...I have NEVER done this so I am not sure if it works...but make sure you eat something, that way you don't have the dry heaves. (I know you said you didn't have the dry heaves) Maybe if you HAD eaten something you would have thrown up and felt better right then. That is just what I heard. Are you feeling better now?

etsisk said:
I use the Relief Band, which works well for me - though I'm irked that they aren't making it anymore!
I have used Relief Band for years. It stops nausea AFTER it has begun. I can buy new batteries at Radio Shack or any drugstore. Relief Band can be found on the internet for a range of $140 to $50 (Amazon.com). Friends have used it for seasickness and cancer therapy nausea.

The major drawback is that if I use it for several hours a day, several days in a row, it sort of burns my wrist. Must trade off wrists to let the "zapped" wrist recover.

Where did you hear it is not made anymore?
- Aunt Peggy

AuntPeggy said:
I have used Relief Band for years. It stops nausea AFTER it has begun. I can buy new batteries at Radio Shack or any drugstore. Relief Band can be found on the internet for a range of $140 to $50 (Amazon.com). Friends have used it for seasickness and cancer therapy nausea.

The major drawback is that if I use it for several hours a day, several days in a row, it sort of burns my wrist. Must trade off wrists to let the "zapped" wrist recover.

Where did you hear it is not made anymore?
- Aunt Peggy

Drugstore.com has it for $79; better stock up!! I wonder if the electrical stimulation of the wrist nerves would help with my forearm/carpal tunnel pain (I work on keyboards/computers all day)?

i've always heard you are a great deal more likely to get airsick on an empty stomach. on a side note, Dad was a navigator on B17s and early on got airsick all the time. he said they all ate bananas. i assumed it was a potasium thing, but he said it was because they tasted pretty much the same coming up as going down! :eek: tc

Eat something! High stress, high temps, plus endurance means you have to keep calories in your system. It sounds like you got a taste of "bonk", which is what many endurance athletes get after long efforts without the calories in the system available to do the base system work.

I've had the exact same symptoms many times before... last time doing hill repeats on a long, 1.5 mile 13% climb near my house. Dry heaved my guts out at the top of the last one. Hydrate and fuel, at all times!

A POA'er to remain nameless avoids this problem with little puffy snickers bars strewn about their plane . . . or so I have heard ;)

Cheers,

-Andrew

AuntPeggy said:
Where did you hear it is not made anymore?- Aunt Peggy
When I went to reorder the gel, it was difficult to find it - the mfg of the Relief Band had quit making the tubes of gel. I was told by Sporty's and Pilot Shop that they are no longer shipping the Relief Band, either. Which REALLY aggravated me! So I bought one more, just so I'll have one when this one goes out. When THAT one goes out, I don't know what the hell I'll do! :(

etsisk said:
When I went to reorder the gel, it was difficult to find it - the mfg of the Relief Band had quit making the tubes of gel. I was told by Sporty's and Pilot Shop that they are no longer shipping the Relief Band, either. Which REALLY aggravated me! So I bought one more, just so I'll have one when this one goes out. When THAT one goes out, I don't know what the hell I'll do! :(

The gel must be available through normal pharmaceutical channels. It's used for EKG "probes" as well.

And these guys (where I bought mine) still seem to be selling the bands and consumables:

http://www.aeromedix.com/?_siteid=a...78a0dea8ee0393e13&action=cat&catid=reliefband

Jason, one of my aliases is SicSac. I found that eating a couple of crackers and having a drink of water before riding in the summer helped me. Also, just having a bag within reach lessened the anxiety of potentially hurling. Once I started flying solo the potential decreased dramatically, but I still keep a few empties handy.

Back