Air Show TFRs

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Aargh! Just found out that NAS Willow Grove is going to have an airshow with the Blue Angels on memorial day weekend. Normally I'd be pretty psyched about this but that happens to be when I planned to fly up to Cape Cod. I was planning on flying up Sat and returning Sun or Mon depending on the Wx. Air show is Sat and Sun.
They haven't announced it yet but I assume they will issue a TFR of some sort for the airshow. The two home fields I would fly out of are 7 and 9 nm respectively from NAS Willow Grove. I know when there is a presidential TFR I'm pretty much locked down out of both fields. Are air show TFRs any less restrictive?

The airshow TFRs I've had to deal with were only active during the airial display times. Usually from 10 AM to 3 or 4 PM depending on the show.

I arrived at an airport just inside the bondary about 10 minutes prior to activation and asked the controller (the tower at shaw AFB in Sumter SC) if I could depart prior to TFR ending. He told me to fly 90 degrees to the show airport and do not climb above 1500 feet until outside the airspace. Several aircraft were departing when I left and we all followed the instructions.

It might not hurt to phone the tower there if you can to see if there are special arrangements. If we hadn't been able to depart, I would have just taken more time at dinner.

I flew down to the AOPA Expo a few years ago with some guys in a Mooney out of Hanscom (BED) the day of an airshow. We departed BED before they closed and came back after they reopened (5 PM) - no problems. That was before 9/11 but I would hope that it's still similar.

Airshow TFR's are rarely more than 5 nm in radius, and are always limited to when flight displays are in progress, not all day, so this one shouldn't affect your plans. Just check the NOTAMS, as the Blues/T-birds TFR's are generally published a week or two before the show.

AdamZ said:
Are air show TFRs any less restrictive?

Blue Angels related airshow TFR/NOTAM for this past weekend:

!FDC 5/3341 ZDC NC.. FLIGHT RESTRICTION CHERRY POINT, NC.

DUE TO AERIAL DEMONSTRATIONS BY THE U.S. NAVY BLUE ANGELS AND

OTHER MILITARY DEMONSTRATION TEAMS. EFFECTIVE:

0505051430 UTC UNTIL 0505052130 UTC

0505061400 UTC UNTIL 0505062100 UTC

0505071400 UTC UNTIL 0505072100 UTC

0505081400 UTC UNTIL 0505082100 UTC.

PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.145, MANAGEMENT OF AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS

IN THE VICINITY OF AERIAL DEMONSTRATIONS AND

MAJOR SPORTING EVENTS AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 5

NMR OF 345455N/0765343W AND THE NEW BERN /EWN/ VOR/DME 150 DEGREE

RADIAL AT 12 NM AT AND BELOW 15000 FT AGL. UNLESS AUTHORIZED BY ATC.

DAVE PLUMMER, PHONE 252-466-3466 IS THE POINT OF CONTACT. THE RALEIGH

/RDU/ FSS, PHONE 919-380-0171 IS THE FAA COORDINATION FACILITY.

The FSS should tell you what you need to know also.

I've had to deal with airshow TFRs here on the pipeline route. The FSS has always let me know the hours it is in effect, and the towers have worked with me very well.

There will be a TFR not only for the show days but any practice days as well. They were always a 5 mile radius and the tower always allowed me to fly a 5.1 DME to catch my points. I use the word 'allow' in the sense that all they did was not tell me to stay further than 5 miles out. They made it very clear tho that I could come 5.0001 if I wished, but it was me and me alone responsible if I busted the 5 mile ring. I'd fly a DME arc at 5.1, (happily the VOR is right in the middle of KLFT) and the tower would help by calling out ranges as well.

If you can work your schedule for a practice day, it has been my experience that they will have you hold outside the ring and work you in when an opportunity presents itself. The few I've heard on the radio choose that option weren't held long at all.

If I remember correctly the TFR's were usually no longer than four or five hour durations.

Thanks guys! NAS Willow Grove is smack dab in the middle of the best route to where I want to go but I've plotted out a route to the west around KNXX and then north east which will put me on a track to go over the north side of Long Island sound vs. cross over from LAG to BDR. will probably add another 20 min to my trip so not much of an issue. I may just do a dawn patrol departure and avoid the issue altogether. Getting home during the TFR will probably take some more juggling but its doable.

Adam:

There was an airshow at San Diego Gillespie when I was there last weekend. I called tower before flying out ('bout a week ahead) and got the schedule. FSS also had it a day or two before the show. Plenty of time before or after scheduled periods to fly in our out.

Also inquire about where things are restricted on the ground during the show. The FBO I was at was open, but several normal facilities were closed during the three day event to accommodate show traffic. So, also ask the airport manager what will be affected in the way of taxi areas, transient parking, and other facilities. An FBO may be swamped if it's hosting a show.

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS

Back