Air Safety Investigators

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I saw this book advertised in a daily aviation safety eMail that I get, and it looked interesting, so I bought it.

The book is essentially memoirs of Alan Diehl, whose career involved time at Cessna, NTSB, FAA, and then military focusing on various safety-related work and initiatives. He was instrumental in introduction of CRM, pushing ADM, human factors improvements, and some other significant changes significant advances in aviation safety. He was also involved with some pretty interesting accident investigations which are detailed in the book, ranging from GA to airlines, and one interesting crash in South Africa of a Tupolev with the president of Mozambique.

I found the book interesting and worth reading. It has definitely got me thinking more about human factors (something that has been at the forefront of my mind more regularly these days). It also gave me some good insight into how these people do their jobs, and I always like reading about the traps people have fallen into as a means of helping to make sure I don't fall into those same traps.

http://www.amazon.com/Air-Safety-In...5II_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382804449&sr=1-1

I'll bet it is interesting.

I sat next to a former NTSB chairman on a commercial flight from LAX to DC last year - it was an interesting and insightful conversation.

I'll bet it is interesting.

I sat next to a former NTSB chairman on a commercial flight from LAX to DC last year - it was an interesting and insightful conversation.

I got the last one in stock.

I love NTSB guys. A close friend who had worked with a slew of engine manufacturers (GE, PRATT, ...) ended up with the NTSB and had great stories. I've also been out to the training facility in Ashburn (and seen the TWA 800 reconstruction).

Back