Air plains GWT increase STC question

If someone has a copy of that STC, it should say so one way or the other.

Air Plains' STC SA4428SW is for installation of the O-360 engine in 172F-172P aircraft. By itself that STC does not change gross weight or affect flap travel.

STC SA2196CE provides for physical limit of flap travel (except for 172P which is limited to 30 degrees as built) and gross weight increase. It involves installation of a stop nut in the flap system:

Flap_limit_parts_e.jpg

I have both STCs for my 172N, but to date only SA4428SW has been installed. So I have 180 hp, 40 degrees of flap and the original 2300 lb gross weight. I like short runways and I have no friends, so for now at least I'll keep it that way. :)

STC SA2196CE can be installed to limit flap travel on a 172N without the 180 hp engine STC; this allows gross weight increase to 2400 lb -- in effect making it the equivalent of a stock 172P.

Last edited:
Spoke with Katie at Air Plains. Yes, there is a placard, but it is in addition to, not in place of, the stop nut, and the stop nut is required by the STC. The placard says the stop nut modification was done, I guess so nobody is confused by the switch not going all the way down.

Interestingly an A&P / IA friend of mine called, and got two different answers... from people there. Will wait and see what shakes down.

Ryan

Back