Air cans -- Sticky camera lenscover

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
When I shoot the 'air in a can' at my keyboard, sometimes it sucks a bit of propellant up (the vaporizing liquid) and then shoots on stuff. Problem or no?

Also, during the trip to the desert, naturally I got sand in everything, incl the video camera lens cover (it has a slide switch that moves the cover up and down) and now it is sticky. I blew that out but was wondering about a cautious sprinkling of graphite powder as it is still a tad catchy.

"Technical Corner Having a technical issue not directly related to the site?"

When I shoot the 'air in a can' at my keyboard, sometimes it sucks a bit of propellant up (the vaporizing liquid) and then shoots on stuff. Problem or no?

Also, during the trip to the desert, naturally I got sand in everything, incl the video camera lens cover (it has a slide switch that moves the cover up and down) and now it is sticky. I blew that out but was wondering about a cautious sprinkling of graphite powder as it is still a tad catchy.

Graphite powder near optics sounds dangerous to me. I recommend holding off until someone who knows what the heck they're talking about chimes in.

AFaIK the propellant used in these cans will evaporate leaving no residue, at least that's true for all the can's I've used. As to the graphite, I'd stay away from anything like that near a lens, it's likely to adhere to the lens coatings and be very difficult to remove. Since the cap is separate from the lens, you should be able to use any non-residue cleaner without worrys about the cleaner's effects on the lens as long as you let it dry completely before getting it near the lens. Generally plastics don't require (or hold) lubricants so all you should need to do is get it clean unless the sand has caused a burr, in which case the graphite wouldn't help anyway.

Graphite powder near optics sounds dangerous to me. I recommend holding off until someone who knows what the heck they're talking about chimes in.

I agree with Grant on Q#2. Q#1, no problem.

Pull a key cap or two off. There is usually no way any liquid can get down into the electronics unless a spill is really intense. As far as crumbs in the keyboard, I wouldn't do anything about it until you get some weeds growing up to fingertip level.... :eek: Don't try to turn the keyboard over and knock them out. That could get the crumbs into the electronics when you return the keyboard to right-side up.

-Skip

I agree with Grant on Q#2. Q#1, no problem.

Pull a key cap or two off. There is usually no way any liquid can get down into the electronics unless a spill is really intense. As far as crumbs in the keyboard, I wouldn't do anything about it until you get some weeds growing up to fingertip level.... :eek: Don't try to turn the keyboard over and knock them out. That could get the crumbs into the electronics when you return the keyboard to right-side up.

-Skip

I seem to get crumbs in my laptop keyboards that interfere with the pressing of a key once in a while and blowing them out with air seems to be the easiest fix. Pulling caps can be risky in that some keyboards require special tools to reseat them and some have parts that will "fly away" when you pop the cap off.

Back