Ahh, technology.

chartbundle

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
chartbundle
So, I flew a fair distance today and Garmin Pilot kept crashing. So I switched to anywhere map, pulled up the plate for my destination, tuned in the ILS and.... nothing... As I was about to go through where the ILS was supposed to be I just had approach clear me for the visual since I had the airport, so no harm done. Switched to tower and they asked me if I was using frequency Y, no, I had X, they changed it months ago. So, apparently whatever Anywhere Map used to flag updated charts didn't catch the update, the Procedure didn't change, just the Julian Date. Of course, if I was paying attention the Garmin 530 also had the right frequency that it wanted me to use but I had already manually set the wrong one.

In the future I'll remember to download the PDF from my own website as a crosscheck to the automated stuff.

So, I flew a fair distance today and Garmin Pilot kept crashing. So I switched to anywhere map, pulled up the plate for my destination, tuned in the ILS and.... nothing... As I was about to go through where the ILS was supposed to be I just had approach clear me for the visual since I had the airport, so no harm done. Switched to tower and they asked me if I was using frequency Y, no, I had X, they changed it months ago. So, apparently whatever Anywhere Map used to flag updated charts didn't catch the update, the Procedure didn't change, just the Julian Date. Of course, if I was paying attention the Garmin 530 also had the right frequency that it wanted me to use but I had already manually set the wrong one.

In the future I'll remember to download the PDF from my own website as a crosscheck to the automated stuff.

Hmmm. Score one for ForeFlight, which always downloads new plates no matter what.

Cleared for the visual...... I'm good :)

So rather than use the proper piece of gear, you decided to use the toys that failed?

He landed safely and I'm guessing he's just telling us that his "toy" did what it did. You should like that.

So rather than use the proper piece of gear, you decided to use the toys that failed?

He landed safely and I'm guessing he's just telling us that his "toy" did what it did. You should like that.

I think Henning has a point. When you select the procedure with the 530 the frequency is automatically loaded for you. Why not allow the technology work for you?

I think Henning has a point. When you select the procedure with the 530 the frequency is automatically loaded for you. Why not allow the technology work for you?

I'm thinking because the technology he had been using was not working . . . you tend to lose trust in all of it when that happens.

I know I know the 530 is certified and the rest of it is not - but the point about human nature is still valid.

Even though the 530 had the right frequency, I didn't have a valid plate. Even if I had noticed and used the right frequency from the 530 I still couldn't fly the approach until I asked for a delay and found the right plate on the technology.

Even though the 530 had the right frequency, I didn't have a valid plate. Even if I had noticed and used the right frequency from the 530 I still couldn't fly the approach until I asked for a delay and found the right plate on the technology.

No need "Approach, 9SA, I'm painting that approach but I don't have the plate available at the moment" and they'll read you what you need, just be ready to copy what you need.

Gee...wouldn't it be nice if they had all those approaches available to print out on paper? You could just print what you needed for that flight and keep them on your kneeboard as a back up. :rolleyes2: :dunno:

Back