Ah, the joys of ownership.

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
I hate irritating little squawks that keep coming at you.

I took a flight to drop off another plane for service. The other pilot was then going to take me up for some dual and practice approaches. Because of my anal retentive, safety concious mind, I shut down the right engine so he could get in without the possibility of getting sliced and diced. Apparently, however, the left engine generator is not working, as we had no power for a restart. Finally managed to get a very nice airport manager with his van to help jump start the battery. Got the right engine started to check its generator. At least that one works. So now I need to have that repaired. I guess I will pour money into this bird for upgrades a little sooner than expected. An STC for alternators is available. I think I will look into that.

I went for a flight Sunday. Got in the plane and pulled the starter handle nothing. I was getting to late to go up. So the arm starter had to be used. I went to the airport last night with the meter to check it out. I got lucky it was the little micro switch on the starter arm. I gave it a little tap and it works good as new. I will order a new switch I am sure it should be under $ 20.00. I was happy I thought a rebuilt starter was going to be the order.
Bryon, I could be you regulator. I would hold off your upgrade for a while.
John

I thought there was a rule that nothing on an airplane could cost less than one AMU? :D

Hmmm. Nothing om my plane gets fixed for $20. Its usually several, AMU's. :rolleyes:

Byron- what type of twin is this in?

In my C310, I went ahead, bit the bullet, and replaced my old generators with STC'd alternators. I have realized several benefits from having done so.

First, and most importantly- I have not had a single electrical issue (touch wood) since the change out. Same wiring, with the addition of a circuit breaker on the ACU curcuit. Prior to the change out, I had a constant battle trying to keep both generators on line. One always seemed to be failing, or the regulator, or the...

Second- the avionics like it so much more now, as I do not have to run the engines at fast idle to provide clean power to them. Alternators produce clean power, even at low RPM's, where as many generators do not produce at all, until reaching a certain RPM.

Third- I gained 67# of usable!!! Is that incredible or what? That was the weight difference between the generators and alternators.

The cost was about $3500, and to date is one of the best investments I have made, of the various upgrades so far put into this aircraft!

Back