Again: All Small Planes are Cessnas...

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
Again, the press has proven an utter inability to grasp even the most basic facts, if the story involves anything with wings attached.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon.../stories/091106dnmetdentonplane.8b043758.html

Funny, looks like a Comanche to me!

Failed fuel tank selector, apparently. GLad the powers that be allowed the plane to take-off from the road (after fueling-up the tank from which fuel could be drawn), rather than force its dismantling and trucking out, which would have disrupted traffic a lot more.

+++

When I was a kid, all small planes were "Piper Cubs."

I wrote the Denton Chronicle (the paper that originally ran the story)

You might want to have your reporters get some facts straight about this story:
http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/localnews/stories/DRC_Plane_on_I-35W.884ec2b6.html
Not every single engine plane is a Cessna. This plane is definitely NOT a Cessna. It's bad enough that general aviation has to deal with all the sensationalism of the press - most of it incorrect reporting, and this is just another example of it. You may want to get some reporters who have some knowledge of aircraft, before you publish what they write. By the way, the airplane in the picture is a Piper Comanche.
Edward Frederick
Commercial Pilot

Must've scared the hell out of the folks in their cars to watch a plane land in front of them on the highway on 9/11.

Well least they didn't say the airplane "crash landed".

That's a new Cessna design based upon another 50 year old design, like their other planes.

N2212R said:
I wrote the Denton Chronicle (the paper that originally ran the story)

Your email worked - when I clicked on the story this afternoon it just says single-engine everywhere. No Cessna references.

It's probably a case where the reporter called up the police and just printed what the cop said.

rsleeds said:
Your email worked - when I clicked on the story this afternoon it just says single-engine everywhere. No Cessna references.

The original publisher - Denton Record still has the retarded text up.

mikea said:
It's probably a case where the reporter called up the police and just printed what the cop said.
All the reporter had to do was look up the aircraft type on the flight plan and ... oh. There wasn't ...? :eek: Well, that explains everything, doesn't it?

-- Pilawt

Anthony said:
Well least they didn't say the airplane "crash landed".

That's a new Cessna design based upon another 50 year old design, like their other planes.
No disrespect anthony,but what do grummans do good? I am just not that familiar with them,not many up here in the woods.My cessna hauls 4 fat guys in and out of pretty small strips at a decent cruise speeds.It is capable of landing on water in the summer and frozen water in the winter.It handles rough fields pretty well.If i need real performance i take my old piper.It don't cruise too good but she takes off and lands short.I see lot's of comments from grumman guys about cessnas and they are probably great, i just have'nt flown one.What is their specialty?

supercub185 said:
No disrespect anthony,but what do grummans do good? I am just not that familiar with them,not many up here in the woods.My cessna hauls 4 fat guys in and out of pretty small strips at a decent cruise speeds.It is capable of landing on water in the summer and frozen water in the winter.It handles rough fields pretty well.If i need real performance i take my old piper.It don't cruise too good but she takes off and lands short.I see lot's of comments from grumman guys about cessnas and they are probably great, i just have'nt flown one.What is their specialty?

They only do one thing good. Go fast. Nothing more, nothing less. Oh, and they have a sliding canopy.

How fast do they go? Speed is nice at times.My old cessna only cruises about 140 kts

supercub185 said:
How fast do they go? Speed is nice at times.My old cessna only cruises about 140 kts

About that fast (minus a couple knots), on 9-10gph. But you'll want 2500 to 3000 feet to get off the ground.

Of course I am not exactly sure which comanche that was, but i am pretty sure that if he took off from Meechum, heading to Denton, he had to have taken off with less than 1/4 tank in the selected tank. not a real good idea to start out with, kinda makes one wonder a little

Someday hope to try one.Mostly cessnas ,old pipers and stinsons and such up this way.Yhere is only one low wing piper at all the local airports i frequent.Not many low wings up this way.See some up at the ski area airport in the winter.They sure are fancier in some ways than most bush beaters.

Back