Africa flying

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
This summer I will be in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana what would be necessary to be able to safely fly?

you need to go to SA during our winter (their summer). The soaring is world class. many many many (at least 100) 1000km flights in SA and Namibia already this season.

PM me, and I'll introduce you to a GA pilot in SA I've known for years.

Lots of firepower.

Good one Ted. Uh, you were joking right, right? :rofl:

You should be alright. Not sure if they're FAA or JAA, but that should be looked into. I don't believe an FAA certificate is honored in JAA countries. I had an instructor who had every FAA rating under the sun and couldn't rent a 172 in Greece.

I spent a few months in Mozambique and Uganda doing maintenance for a humanitarian company.

South Africa is JAA. JAA and FAA don't play nice together. I've thought about trying to get my JAA licenses a couple of times. It'd basically be starting over for me.

Granted, this was for commercial, and not a private license, but it was my understanding that one could do all the paperwork, and get a S. African commercial validation of their CPL, based on an American CPL, which would allow you to fly a ZS- reg'd (S.African) airplane outside of SA as a commercial pilot. You weren't allowed to fly inside SA with that validation as a commercial pilot though. I don't know if that was for just the commercial flights or what.

In general, I think you can get a license just based on your American, from most countries over there. But be aware, sub-Sahara Africa is based on the Time + money = things accomplished, balance system. The more time you have, the less money you have to put out. As an American, you will be viewed as someone with far more money than time. And sometimes they might require "incentives" to get your paperwork moving or keep it moving.

...Sub-Sahara Africa is based on the Time + money = things accomplished, balance system. The more time you have, the less money you have to put out. As an American, you will be viewed as someone with far more money than time. And sometimes they might require "incentives" to get your paperwork moving or keep it moving.

Much truth in that.

Back