AFM required for airworthiness?

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Hypothetical Situation.

You have your airplane ferried somewhere for installation of a new GPS, then brought back.

You go out to the airplane and find your maintenance logs including a new W&B sheet and the AFM supplement for the new GPS, but your AFM itself is missing. You do have a generic Pilot's Information Manual for the airplane, and it includes all the supplements installed on that airplane up to the new GPS.

Can you fly the airplane legally? Explain your answer.

Which airplane? Take a look at the TCDS - often they are very specific about which AFM is required.

The AFM and the generic POH are in many cases identical other than W&B and supplements, except that the AFM is serial-number specific and should be current as to revisions. So if you inserted the s/n, verified revisions status with the manufacturer and referenced the revised w/b information, I'd think you would have a good case for compliance, in the (IMO) unlikely event anybody came snooping. "Beats hell out of me, it was like that when I bought it."

Which airplane? Take a look at the TCDS - often they are very specific about which AFM is required.

True statement the Cessna 100 series are assigned by make model and serial number and give the placards for that S/N ....... generic POHs don't

Cessna will sell you a replacement. that is compliant.

I got my chops busted over this a few years ago during a audit from FSDO. I didn't know there was a difference until my PMI got in my case but good.

Back