Aeronautical information for kids

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
While visiting my brother, my 9 yr old niece sled if I was still flying and then expressed interest in a future plane ride.

Her current home schooling studies include earth sciences which she really likes. I thought an age appropriate book on aviation and how a GA airplane works would be a good gift.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Not sure the age group fits, but Lynda Meeks' Girls With Wings organization has some books out and probably references for more. She's really done a great job with the organization in just a few year's time.

This is more math and geography than aeronautics, but when my wife was teaching fifth and sixth grades she took sectionals and low-altitude enroute charts to school and had the kids do time-distance-speed problems plus look at terrain and other physical features. Later, back when there was such a thing as a written test designee (before computer testing centers), I was so designated, and a couple of her former students came in to take knowledge exams for pilot certificates.

Bob Gardner

Top-Gun

well it worked for me.... ;)

Watching it with my 7 year old was a problem, the language alone had me turn it off.

Once he went to sleep, I watched it again. Good stuff.

Also.....I need a little less fake girl (Kelly McGillis) on fake guy (Tom Cruise) action.:yikes:

This is more math and geography than aeronautics, but when my wife was teaching fifth and sixth grades she took sectionals and low-altitude enroute charts to school and had the kids do time-distance-speed problems plus look at terrain and other physical features. Later, back when there was such a thing as a written test designee (before computer testing centers), I was so designated, and a couple of her former students came in to take knowledge exams for pilot certificates.

Bob Gardner

I was just about to post when I noticed that Bob beat me to the punch.

But I'll go ahead anyway:

I'm no help with the book recommendations.

How about a sectional, or a WAC, and a plotter and let her figure out routes, distances, times, ... It's a fun way to polish up some math skills without realizing it, and she can learn some geography, lat/lon, magnetic declinations, and all sorts of stuff.

Let her figure the flight planning, then take her along on that trip some day.

I was just about to post when I noticed that Bob beat me to the punch.

But I'll go ahead anyway:

I'm no help with the book recommendations.

How about a sectional, or a WAC, and a plotter and let her figure out routes, distances, times, ... It's a fun way to polish up some math skills without realizing it, and she can learn some geography, lat/lon, magnetic declinations, and all sorts of stuff.

Let her figure the flight planning, then take her along on that trip some day.

While I think this would be a great idea to do, unfortunately we're geographically challenged and her Mom (my SIL, doing the home schooling) isn't prepared to teach that stuff.

So the various book ideas will be a good start for now. And I'll remember this on for the future.

Now the older niece is working through level 2 algebra (what we would have learned in 9th or 10th grade, but she's just 13yo), so problems like you're suggesting (time distance fuel burn/usage etc) would make some great math problems for me to email her.

Back