Aerobatic Waiver

Hiperbiper

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris Carlson
We (the acro-nuts) in North Louisiana have just gotten our Acrobatic Waiver from the FAA. It is (prepare to drool) AT the DTN airport! ( I realize this isn't as cool as having your OWN airport to practice over Diana but hey; I don't have to mow the runway either!:smile:

Of course we must stay in the box East of Runway 14/32 and abide by the tower instructions to "knock it off" for any conflicting traffic. But we are waivered for flight from the surface to 2500 feet (4500 with prior permission from RAPCON).
One of the best things about this will be the ability to carry less fuel than required if you venture to a distant Acro Box (lighter weight/better performance).
If I ever get my ship back together :rofl: (Condition Inspection) I expect to do some serious mixing of the Air Molocules this Spring/Summer!!!

Now to buy some more Smoke oil...anyone ever use Super-Dri??

Chris

We (the acro-nuts) in North Louisiana have just gotten our Acrobatic Waiver from the FAA. It is (prepare to drool) AT the DTN airport!
Cool! :yes:

( I realize this isn't as cool as having your OWN airport to practice over Diana but hey; I don't have to mow the runway either!:smile:
:p Hey...I like mowing. :D

Of course we must stay in the box
Often easier said than done. :D

But we are waivered for flight from the surface to 2500 feet (4500 with prior permission from RAPCON).
You guys going to sponsor a contest? You got many people with personal waivers that low?

Seems like 2500 is pretty low for a lot of stuff. How hard will it be to get the 4500 from RAPCON?

One of the best things about this will be the ability to carry less fuel than required if you venture to a distant Acro Box (lighter weight/better performance).
A definite plus.

If I ever get my ship back together :rofl: (Condition Inspection) I expect to do some serious mixing of the Air Molocules this Spring/Summer!!! Now to buy some more Smoke oil...anyone ever use Super-Dri??
Now that you've posted all this, you are required to submit videos. :smilewinkgrin:

Cool, I have a friend who flies for Metro Aviation, so the next time I come down to visit him, I will have to swing by DTN.

Cool! :yes:

We think so!

:p Hey...I like mowing. :D

Then you are a Masochist (not like that's always a bad thing...)

Often easier said than done. :D

Our "Box" is actually a bigger box than a REAL Box (Acro-ly speaking...)

You guys going to sponsor a contest? You got many people with personal waivers that low?

We have 3 people with GL waivers but this box waivers the level wavers! After all, you gotta get close to the dirt (under supervision of course) to practise getting closer to the dirt!
As for a Contest; we (the Royal WE) are thinking of starting an IAC Chapter ourselves but are leaning more to the "2-day critiqueing" Fun-type flyin rather than a full blown contest with scoring and stuff.

Seems like 2500 is pretty low for a lot of stuff. How hard will it be to get the 4500 from RAPCON?

It won't be a problem at all, just a 30 minute warning to allow for the rule to take affect.
Below 1500agl I have been advised to observe the Rule: "The closer to the dirt you intend to go, keep your airspeed high and your angles low thus to the next show you get to go..."

A definite plus.

Except for the having to Boogie (did I just show my age???) over to the fuel pump to pump another 10 in for the next filght and start a hot HC engine...I have realized this will be a hardship but somehow, I will cope!

Now that you've posted all this, you are required to submit videos. :smilewinkgrin:

Funny you should mention that; Santa Claus (bless her Soul) gave me a nice little JVC Camcorder and I hope to be soon flooding the Internet with Crappy vidios of Crappier flying...:D.

Chris

Cool, I have a friend who flies for Metro Aviation, so the next time I come down to visit him, I will have to swing by DTN.

Great! PM me prior and we'll get together. I know lots of Great places!
You like Strip clubs?

Chris

That's way cool. I used to spend a lot of time at DTN. My wife was the clerk at the FAA tower when it was open. My brother flew jump planes for Sport city Skydivers also.

How far east does the box go? Any concerns about getting too close to the extended final for Barksdale AFB?

We're looking at selling a couple of aerobatic LSAs and I would love to come back there and try it out.

Rans Sakota s10 and Rans S9 (now back in production).

Also Clip Cub, T-carts etc.

That's way cool. I used to spend a lot of time at DTN. My wife was the clerk at the FAA tower when it was open. My brother flew jump planes for Sport city Skydivers also.

How far east does the box go? Any concerns about getting too close to the extended final for Barksdale AFB?

We're looking at selling a couple of aerobatic LSAs and I would love to come back there and try it out.

The box runs from the West side of 14/32 to the East side of the Red River. The South boundery is the south shore of the Red and the North limit is the South side of Interstate 220. Great bounderies you can't miss from the air...
The box is still a good mile or so from the Barksdale AFB approach parh.

Come on over and join the RRFFF*

* Red River Flip Flop Flyers

I always just used Dexron III or whatever transmission fluid I had around in the smoker on my Ag Cat.

Well I guess it works well and is cheap but holy crap do it sure make a MESS!

When the subject of smoke systems comes up Marion always cautions about using a "cocktail" approach to smoke oil...he says he's seen many a blackened airplane from when the "smoke oil cocktail" caught fire and singed the 'plane (to varying degrees).

With all the guys around here with Smoke Systems (plus the local R/C club with it's Giant Scale birds) I guess I'll bite the bullet and order a bunch of Super-Dri next Monday.

JMPO and YMMV

Chris

OK, I had to post a seperate post here.

Steve Wolf arrived at DTN this evening after flying cross-country with the new WolfPitts Pro he custom built for our own WT Coleman. Though it's been a year in coming (and WT ain't what you might call "patient") I do believe he's happy with the outcome!
The detail and features on this airplane are un-believable!.

I didn't have a camara with me this evening but I'll go over tomorrow and take some pic and video...'till then this is the link to the "WT Special".

http://www.wolfpitts.com/wolfpittspro.html

Why wasn't I born Rich instead of so damn good lookin'...?:yikes:

Chris (droolin' at DTN)

Last edited:
Haven't looked recently, but most aerobatic smoke systems use Canopus 13 or Baltic oil, which are very low viscosity oils used as mold release agents. They do make a slimy mess on the belly, and also weigh a lot. At a gallon per minute flow rate it also gets expensive.

When Ken Ibold flies my airplane at Gaston's, it makes smoke without any additional oil. ;)

Well I guess it works well and is cheap but holy crap do it sure make a MESS!

Ag plane it's not bad since I usually only give 3-1 second pops for a wind check when I drop in and check the field for obstructions.

That MDW Super-Dri ain't cheap, but I did find a (relatively) inexpensive source from an Amazon.com retailer. I didn't see it for this price anywhere else, unless you're buying a 55-gallon drum. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006O2AB2

Where do you buy it? I see MDW makes "scents" you can add to it, like "raspberry". LOL

Anybody have an STC to add a smoke kit to a 172??

That MDW Super-Dri ain't cheap, but I did find a (relatively) inexpensive source from an Amazon.com retailer. I didn't see it for this price anywhere else, unless you're buying a 55-gallon drum. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006O2AB2

Where do you buy it? I see MDW makes "scents" you can add to it, like "raspberry". LOL

Anybody have an STC to add a smoke kit to a 172??

Around here the A&P's just do a 337 for a system and send the copies to OKC.

Not a Major mod (unless you feel the need to run athe smoke oil lines thru a spar or something...).
Just follow the Bible (43.13b), use the correct pieces/parts and there is no reason why it cannot be signed off as a minor alteration.

Chris

Chris

OK, I had to post a seperate post here.

Steve Wolf arrived at DTN this evening after flying cross-country with the new WolfPitts Pro he custom built for our own WT Coleman. Though it's been a year in coming (and WT ain't what you might call "patient") I do believe he's happy with the outcome!
The detail and features on this airplane are un-believable!.

I didn't have a camara with me this evening but I'll go over tomorrow and take some pic and video...'till then this is the link to the "WT Special".

http://www.wolfpitts.com/wolfpittspro.html

Why wasn't I born Rich instead of so damn good lookin'...?:yikes:

Chris (droolin' at DTN)

I think I saw one for sale on Barnstormers and it looks like a sweet ride :yikes:

Back