Aerobatic Helmet Materials

flyboy102

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Flyboy102
I have been researching flight helmets, and Gentex helmets seems to be one of the better options. There are two choices of material, namely: Fiberglass and Kevlar. Kevlar is somewhat more expensive, however it is lighter. Is anyone familiar with the specific pros and cons for each material? i.e. although Kevlar is stronger, how does function in an impact? I am looking for something more in depth than, "it's lighter and stronger". Ultimately, which material should I choose? :loco:

-flyboy102

I have been researching flight helmets, and Gentex helmets seems to be one of the better options. There are two choices of material, namely: Fiberglass and Kevlar. Kevlar is somewhat more expensive, however it is lighter. Is anyone familiar with the specific pros and cons for each material? i.e. although Kevlar is stronger, how does function in an impact? I am looking for something more in depth than, "it's lighter and stronger". Ultimately, which material should I choose? :loco:

-flyboy102
I never really thought about it much beyond the lighter issue. My last two helmets we both Kevlar. While I don't wear a helmet when I fly anymore I did appreciate the weight saving on the long flights. I would think that with aerobatics where you are going to be feeling a few g's that weight would be a driving factor for keeping the helmet comfortable on your neck.

Back