Aerobatic Airplanes

S

stuckinGFK

First time poster and I'd like to say this is a great forum.

A little background info. I started flying aerobatics in May and ended flying in 3 competitions (Peru, Albert Lea, and Lamar) in a Super Decathalon. I had a great time and definitely want to keep doing this year after year (I'm 24).

Here's the question: I'm looking into buying and/or building an aerobatic plane for my needs. And I was wondering what is out there? I'd love to be able to work into intermediate/advanced with this airplane.

Hey, I'd love to have an Extra, but it is out of my price range for now. Some of the homebuilts I know about are the Pitts, and One Design. I've seen a few different homebuilts and couldn't find anything on the internet about them, just pictures. I was wondering if there were any plans that anyone knows about?

Thanks for all your help and Happy New Year

stuckinGFK said:
First time poster and I'd like to say this is a great forum.

A little background info. I started flying aerobatics in May and ended flying in 3 competitions (Peru, Albert Lea, and Lamar) in a Super Decathalon. I had a great time and definitely want to keep doing this year after year (I'm 24).

Here's the question: I'm looking into buying and/or building an aerobatic plane for my needs. And I was wondering what is out there? I'd love to be able to work into intermediate/advanced with this airplane.

Hey, I'd love to have an Extra, but it is out of my price range for now. Some of the homebuilts I know about are the Pitts, and One Design. I've seen a few different homebuilts and couldn't find anything on the internet about them, just pictures. I was wondering if there were any plans that anyone knows about?

Thanks for all your help and Happy New Year

I'd start by joining EAA. There are tons of plans for aerobatic planes out there, but not many complete kits. Christen Eagle comes to mind, but they're not cheap either.

Ken Ibold said:
That thing has been for sale for a long, long time.

I've noticed that fact. Another interesting tidbit:
That C-150 I was very close to buying(out of Florida) had, at one time, been through the same dealer as the above-referenced Pitts. I bailed on the Florida seller because I came to distrust the seller's veracity.

I'm aware of the Florida buyer of the C-150, and have been in touch with him about my experience with the seller. He's had much grief after the purchase, and has no good words re the seller. I've sent him my Pre-buy Inspection list of 16 discrepancies -- some major -- which he's finding beneficial.

HR

stuckinGFK said:
Glad you found PoA!

It will be hard to find a better value than a Pitts S1 of some type. You won't have any problem in either category in an S1. An S2B would also be an excellent airplane if you have quite a bit more money to spend.

Best of luck with your search.

Chip

What the heck is that thing? I'm not sure you could get me into it.

Back