Aero question concerning pilot size

Iceman21

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Iceman21
I am 6'5" and weigh 275lbs and I would like to here some good information concerning the struggles I am going to encounter when looking to getting my tailwheel endorsement and beginning aerobatic training.

Near me I have a host of available aircraft to get the training done. From a J3 to an Extra 300L. I have found only 1 weight and balance spread sheet for a Super Decathlon and the numbers didn't look to promising. With a 170lb instructor and myself it looks like we'd only be able to carry 18lbs of fuel in order to be in the aerobatic category.

I know that if there is a will there is a way and I have already lost 50lbs over the last few years and the number is decreasing, but I would like to know how limited I am going to be at my height and my current weight.

I am 6'5" and weigh 275lbs and I would like to here some good information concerning the struggles I am going to encounter when looking to getting my tailwheel endorsement and beginning aerobatic training.

Near me I have a host of available aircraft to get the training done. From a J3 to an Extra 300L. I have found only 1 weight and balance spread sheet for a Super Decathlon and the numbers didn't look to promising. With a 170lb instructor and myself it looks like we'd only be able to carry 18lbs of fuel in order to be in the aerobatic category.

I know that if there is a will there is a way and I have already lost 50lbs over the last few years and the number is decreasing, but I would like to know how limited I am going to be at my height and my current weight.

Find a 140lb instructor :)

Working on my PPL, can't help you with your actual question. But...

I have already lost 50lbs over the last few years and the number is decreasing, but I would like to know how limited I am going to be at my height and my current weight.

Congrats!! Keep it up!!

Find a 140lb instructor :)

That's fine, but that 140lb instructor better bring a shrink ray to the first lesson if a 6' 5"er is going to try to fold himself into the cockpit of a typical aerobatic plane.

That's fine, but that 140lb instructor better bring a shrink ray to the first lesson if a 6' 5"er is going to try to fold himself into the cockpit of a typical aerobatic plane.

Don't wear boots. Thin soled slippers. And think small thoughts.

I'm just being funny. But I'll follow this thread as I'm just a tad shorter but wouldn't mind a few loops myself.

6'2" and much thinner. I fit in an extra with zero inches to spare wearing a helmet. I don't think that's gonna work for you.

6'2" and much thinner. I fit in an extra with zero inches to spare wearing a helmet. I don't think that's gonna work for you.

Does seated height factor in at all?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

L39.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L39 is a lofty goal right now at over 1k an hour but eventually it is in the plans

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Interesting question and predicament. Based on the spreadsheet I have for a Super Decathlon I agree with your numbers and of course you also would have to factor in 2 parachutes regarding weight as well as their additional bulk regarding fitting into the aircraft. I can think of aircraft that would work but either would no longer be considered traditional trainers in todays world or would be certificated as experimental.

I'm waiting to hear some answers too. I'm a similar size to you and aerobatic flying will be my reward to my self when I meet my weight loss goal--but I don't think I'm going to get any shorter.

Any pireps on the RV-14? I know it's not a tailwheel (yet) but it's supposed to be bigger and roomier than the -7 yet still allow gentlemen's aerobatics.

Would a Stearman or Waco work? At least you wouldn't have headroom issues.

250lbs is about the max you're going to fit in a Stearman, and even that's going to be tight. Plus, you'll have to carry next to no fuel and a light instructor to be able to do any aerobatics. if you find a 450 Stearman it'll carry more, but you won't be able to (legally) fit more in it.

Mike-

250lbs is about the max you're going to fit in a Stearman, and even that's going to be tight. Plus, you'll have to carry next to no fuel and a light instructor to be able to do any aerobatics. if you find a 450 Stearman it'll carry more, but you won't be able to (legally) fit more in it.

Mike-

Really? Wow, I had no idea that the W&B would be so tight for such a big airplane.

I ran your weight and a 160 lb instructor in a Pitts S-2B W&B spreadsheet I have. The CG is out of aft limits if you sit in the back, but in the front you can take off in the normal category and burn some fuel to get into the aerobatic category. This is takeoff with about 45 minutes of fuel and VFR reserves.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this because I don't recall where I got the spreadsheet (although it is very detailed), but it might give you a place to start. And if you use a backpack parachute instead of a seat pack, I think you should be able to get the headroom you require. I am 5'11'' and used a seat pack that was about 5 inches thick with an additional 2 inch thick memory foam pad, and I don't recall the headroom being particularly tight. I think it might be close, and would depend on your torso/leg ratio.

Back