Aerial Trailer

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
Just when you thought you'd seen it all...

http://www.heliplanellc.com/

HeliplaneLLC.jpg

Watch the movie at:

http://www.heliplanellc.com/KAASN-v2_files/AirTrailer Com v1.wmv

Not something I would invest in, to say the least.

It seems to me that it's more for military use rather than civilian. Kind of like the gliders of world war II. They did suggest, though, bush pilots might make use of it.
"Contact us for 5 to 40 tons." It seems to me you'd need something more than your average Cessna to pull it.

It's a nifty idea... especially for delivery to areas where the airplane cannot land.
But... if you have to be able to hitch it to a ground vehicle and tow it to an airport for recovery (a "remote site" with a road leading to it isn't very remote), why not just fly the stuff to the airport then bring it to the site with the ground vehicle?

Neat concept not real convinced in its feasabitlity though. In Military ops why not just kick a big package out the back of a cargo plane with a chute. In civilian ops the thing is going to need a transponder if its towed that far behind a tow plane for any legnth of time. This isn't just a glider operaption. Plus its going to have to change cloud clearance requirements. Theoretically the plane could be legall below the could base and the aerial trailer could be in the clouds.

It's a nifty idea... especially for delivery to areas where the airplane cannot land.
But... if you have to be able to hitch it to a ground vehicle and tow it to an airport for recovery (a "remote site" with a road leading to it isn't very remote), why not just fly the stuff to the airport then bring it to the site with the ground vehicle?
They thought of that! :)

If ground towing back to a strip is impractical, then with proper pilot training, AirTrailers can be snatched back into the air from remote areas via a ground mounted catch hoop and shepherd’s hook trailing from the towing aircraft in exactly the same manner as Banners and Flying Billboards are picked up for towing (see youtube banner pilots). Finally, if the scenario is a very remote area where recovery is unlikely such as in rescue operations or animal relief missions the AirTrailer ® Expendable model is available made of wood & cable and employing a simplified landing system.

Is there some sort of auto pilot on the trailer? if not what keeps it stable???

If there's a niche in the market, someone will fill it. Although, I wouldn't be an investor.

Back