Aerial Tour of NYC (Hudson southbound)

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
The weather was pretty nice this morning, so I decided to take my sister and stepdad out flying. We went down the Hudson river at 1,500 feet in the NY Bravo, took the South Shore route eastbound underneath JFK's airspace, then went to Westhampton (FOK) for breakfast before returning back to White Plains (HPN). The JFK local controller working 119.1 was great and was really moving traffic while giving me great service as always.

Here are some pictures...enjoy!

IMG_1751.JPG

A few miles north of the George Washington Bridge ( GWB ).
IMG_1752.JPG

Manhattan off to the left with the Empire State building popping out of the skyline.
IMG_1754.JPG

The Holland Tunnel ventilation tower and the Statue of Liberty just beyond it.
IMG_1756.JPG"

About to overfly Verazzano Narrows Bridge.
IMG_1758.JPG

Just adjacent to Breezy Point park.
IMG_1760.JPG

Just under 500 feet, flying VFR beneath the NY Bravo.
IMG_1762.JPG

JFK just 4nm to the north of us. They were departing 4R, so nothing really exciting overflew us.
IMG_1763.JPG

Islip (ISP) as we proceed on course to Westhampton (FOK).
IMG_1810.JPG

Short final 34 at HPN.

I listen to JFK tower all the time. It blows my mind how much traffic is flying around the city, constantly at 500-1000 feet. And, most of it is NOT helos!

Hey Jason, I missed you today. I was looking for someone to come flying with me but I didn't make it to the airport until noon.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say... cool pictures, Jason!

I'm glad to see you're enjoying your green card. :)

Oh, and here's an MP3 clip from when we passed through JFK's airspace and then through ROBER sector. The other communications between our transmissions were edited out.

Great day of flying Jason!

Sure was!

I listen to JFK tower all the time. It blows my mind how much traffic is flying around the city, constantly at 500-1000 feet. And, most of it is NOT helos!

Yes, there is quite a bit of traffic there usually. Today, I was the only one flying the south shore, but around the Statue of Liberty there were 5 helicopters off my left wing.

Hey Jason, I missed you today. I was looking for someone to come flying with me but I didn't make it to the airport until noon.

Sorry about that! Let's try to fly again soon.

Very cool Jason! :yes:

Thanks!

Oh yeah, I forgot to say... cool pictures, Jason!

I'm glad to see you're enjoying your green card. :)

Thanks...if only that green card would turn up in my mailbox. According to the FAA website, they're about 2 months behind issuing permanent airmen certificates.

Hey Jason great Photos!! You should submit the one approaching the Varanzzano Bridge to AOPA for photo of the month and to AvWeb for photo of the week.

That's great! How did you get the mp3 clip?

Last July a local pilot (Scott Pace) and I flew (well, he flew, I navigated and drooled all over the Garmin 1000 in the Diamond) to Martha's Vineyard for lunch and back. The Hudson river tour was clearly the highlight...

Hey Jason great Photos!! You should submit the one approaching the Varanzzano Bridge to AOPA for photo of the month and to AvWeb for photo of the week.

Hey, that's a good idea! I uploaded it to AvWeb PoTW, but the AOPA contest appears closed.

That's great! How did you get the mp3 clip?

Last July a local pilot (Scott Pace) and I flew (well, he flew, I navigated and drooled all over the Garmin 1000 in the Diamond) to Martha's Vineyard for lunch and back. The Hudson river tour was clearly the highlight...

We have about 8 JFK ATC audio feeds hosted near the field which are uploaded to our server at LiveATC.net, streamed to users, and archived for 30 days (as well as the other 200+ feeds we stream). I was talking with JFK local, and ROBER sector (N90, NY TRACON) in the clip.

I agree -- you can't beat the view from the hudson vfr corridor.

Back