Aerial Photography

Caymandrew

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Caymandrew
Hello all,

Photography is a pretty serious hobby of mine and I'd like to start taking more pictures from the air. I live in Destin Florida right next to the Ft Walton Beach air field, and Eglin AFB just across the bay. So I assume there'll be no shortage of pilots in my area. My question: What's the best way to find someone to fly with?

I know nothing about being a pilot, are hours important? Can I reasonably expect to find some pilots that are willing to share expenses/fuel costs so they can get hours while I take pictures? Should I expect to pay for all expenses? Or am I dreaming and I'll only be able to hire pilots to fly me around and take pictures?

Many thanks!

Hello all,

Photography is a pretty serious hobby of mine and I'd like to start taking more pictures from the air. I live in Destin Florida right next to the Ft Walton Beach air field, and Eglin AFB just across the bay. So I assume there'll be no shortage of pilots in my area. My question: What's the best way to find someone to fly with?

I know nothing about being a pilot, are hours important? Can I reasonably expect to find some pilots that are willing to share expenses/fuel costs so they can get hours while I take pictures? Should I expect to pay for all expenses? Or am I dreaming and I'll only be able to hire pilots to fly me around and take pictures?

Many thanks!

Welcome to the boards.

I am a student, so this might not be the right answer....

If a private pilot was going to go do something anyway, and you wanted to come along, you could share expenses, and then take pictures along the way.

For it to be someone you call up and say "hey, I want to go over to this location, and take a picture of this thing", he/she would either need to do it for you and take no compensation (so for 100% free to you), or they would need to have a comercial pilots license.

So that will limit the number of pilots you can select from, but being where you are located, there still should be a lot to chose from.

I would call your local airport, and ask if they know of anyone who flys out of there all the time, that can help with your request.

The only local number my aviation tool has for that airport (1J9), is Boomer Aviation 850-244-1313.

I would give them a call, and if they can't help, they would most likely give you a lead.

You will find most people in this industry are very friendly :)

Last edited:
I personally don't know anyone who is based out of destin, perhaps someone on the forum will let you know. In case if you don't find anyone, there is a flight school on the field and I'm sure they will be able to give you a ride.

Check out this link: http://www.destinjet.com/destin-flight-school-fort-walton-beach.php

Yes, I was actually looking at going to school there to get my license. But my question is, before I go there and ask, do you think pilots would take me around if I just offered to pay for fuel?

Yes, I was actually looking at going to school there to get my license. But my question is, before I go there and ask, do you think pilots would take me around if I just offered to pay for fuel?

The problem is, unless they are just generous, the only people who would do that are those looking to build hours towards something.

However the only people who can legally do what your asking, are people with a comercial license, and I am not sure how many people with a commercial license are looking to build hours by just flying around.

If you're less interested in a specific scene, and are willing to go wherever someone is going anyway, you can tag along with someone building hours, and share the expenses, but the pilot can not be flying for the singular purpose of you taking photographs.

I don't know about in Florida, but our FBO charges $150/hr to take photographers up. We have a lot of local guys that take advantage of this program. Check with your local FBO or flight school and ask what they charge.

I live in Crestview just up the road. I dont know if you can get on Eglin but check with the Aero Club there. Destin airport is becoming more and more of just jets. Emerald Coast Aviation just closed there and has left a gap for prop planes there.

Back