Aera 796 Overheating?

techflight

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
techflight
Hi, I have a panel-mounted Garmin Aera 796 in my Archer, and after about 1.5 hours of flight or so it consistently seems to either shut off or just freeze with the screen on. The screen is warm to the touch. I'm not positive exactly, but I would guess it is overheating for some reason. Any idea what could be causing this or how to possibly resolve it?

Directly in the sun? I thought those were not supposed to overheat. My iPad in the sun will do the same.

Hi, I have a panel-mounted Garmin Aera 796 in my Archer, and after about 1.5 hours of flight or so it consistently seems to either shut off or just freeze with the screen on. The screen is warm to the touch. I'm not positive exactly, but I would guess it is overheating for some reason. Any idea what could be causing this or how to possibly resolve it?

How is it mounted? Air Gizmo dock, Ram ball, or homemade bracket?

I haven't had any problems with the 796 (yet) but had similar issues with a 696 that had a bad battery.

I haven't had any problems with the 796 (yet) but had similar issues with a 696 that had a bad battery.
Interesting, did the 696 have the same symptoms (screen would freeze or shut off after 1.5 hours) and replacing the battery fixed it?

Interesting, did the 696 have the same symptoms (screen would freeze or shut off after 1.5 hours) and replacing the battery fixed it?

Yes, it had similar symptoms. This was a gps that was permanently wired into the aircraft so the owner didn't recognize that the battery was going bad at first. The unit got progressively worse and ended up being totally unusable. At that point the owner elected to do a whole panel makeover that eliminated the GPS rather than repairing it.

Yes, it had similar symptoms. This was a gps that was permanently wired into the aircraft so the owner didn't recognize that the battery was going bad at first. The unit got progressively worse and ended up being totally unusable. At that point the owner elected to do a whole panel makeover that eliminated the GPS rather than repairing it.
Got it, okay. My 796 also just permanently sits in the panel but is removable. Maybe I’ll try just replacing the battery then. Thanks!

Got it, okay. My 796 also just permanently sits in the panel but is removable. Maybe I’ll try just replacing the battery then. Thanks!

Try pulling it out and disconnecting it. See if the battery has a useful charge. The battery will be spendy.

If you have a friend with a 796 that you could borrow the battery from that might be a good troubleshooting option. I'm sure a new battery will be cost prohibitive as a troubleshooting tool.

If you have a friend with a 796 that you could borrow the battery from that might be a good troubleshooting option. I'm sure a new battery will be cost prohibitive as a troubleshooting tool.
Looks like I can pick up a replacement battery for <$100. Not a big deal.

Wanted to provide a final update here just in case anyone else has the same issue in the future: it was indeed the battery, thank you so much for suggesting this! Works flawlessly now with the replacement battery, which I didn't think to try since the unit is mounted directly in the panel. Cost of the battery replacement was ~$90.

Back