Advising a friend on an intro flight

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
A friend is calling me later today to ask a few things about having his son take an introductory flight lesson. I dont know anything about the the school/club that is offering this lesson, but I'd like to give him some pointers on what to look for to feel comfortable letting his son fly with a stranger in an unknown flying contraption. I don't want to scare him, but I dont want to give false confidence either.

Should I tell him to look for an airworthiness cert, maintenance logs, CFI credentials (As a pilot should)? Should I tell him to walk away if these things aren't presented before he asks? When I learned, I knew the family who owned the school, and basically took their word for it out of my vast ignorance.

Last edited:
Should I tell him to walk away if these things aren't presented before he asks?
Are you implying the school should show each new student the maintenance logs for the plane and the instructor's certificates, without having to be asked for them, before an intro flight? I have a hard time believing any FBO does that...

As far as directly asking, I would feel really weird about walking in for an intro flight with no flying experience and asking to look over the maintenance logs and see credentials. I understand where you're coming from, but then again, I don't think your friend's kid is going to know what he's really looking for in the first place. If the school is operating illegally they're going to make up some excuse and bs their way around it anyway.

I think you'd gain a lot more from trying to talk to other students at the school and get their experiences. Or, just go in for a visit and meet the instructors and talk to them for a few minutes before scheduling the flight.

Last edited:
If it' an established school, I would not worry to much. If it's a guy working out of an airport, then I would ask for all the information you suggested.

For me, if it's a school with a name, a simple google search should help if anything negative has happened there in the past.

I don't know... I would feel really weird about walking in for an intro flight with no flying experience and asking to look over the maintenance logs and see credentials. I understand where you're coming from, but then again, I don't think your friend's kid is going to know what he's really looking for in the first place. If the school is operating illegally they're going to make up some excuse and bs their way around it anyway.

Has anyone actually done this with a FBO before an intro flight? I can maybe see investigating the maintenance logs if you're already a certificated pilot and want to rent from an FBO and you really know what you're looking for.
Agreed. A less antagonistic way to get at the same info might be to ask when the last student used the plane for a check ride.

A less antagonistic way to get at the same info might be to ask when the last student used the plane for a check ride.

Good idea. Maybe the father could also ask, if he wants to be more direct, something like "So how often do you guys have to inspect these planes?" Or, "So you're an instructor? Do you have to have a separate license for that?"

Then again, I don't ask my doctor for his license, either, but I have no doubt that some do.

Are you implying the school should show each new student the maintenance logs for the plane and the instructor's certificates, without having to be asked for them, before an intro flight? I have a hard time believing any FBO does that...
I agree, it's quite antagonistic. I'm sort of presenting the extremes of action here. I think it's a good idea to have him go there and talk to the instructors and students before scheduling a flight (though he may have purchased the flight coupon).

Also, i got the name of the club, and it seems like they've only been around since August this year.

I agree, it's quite antagonistic. I'm sort of presenting the extremes of action here. I think it's a good idea to have him go there and talk to the instructors and students before scheduling a flight (though he may have purchased the flight coupon).

Also, i got the name of the club, and it seems like they've only been around since August this year.

I would simply ask about their maintenance philosophy, number of students, number of instructors, fleet of aircraft, teaching philosophy, who does the maintenance work, etc in a manner consistent with someone evaluating the school against alternatives. They should be pleased with these questions from a prospect as it shows intent to continue and the response should demonstrate pride in their approach. If this isn't the case then I'd become concerned.

Maybe talk to someone that got their PPC there? Ask the FBO for references?

'Hey Bob, if you want me to, I can take your kid up and show him what flying is about. I know how my plane is maintained and I know that I won't do any stupid tricks in an attempt to impress him.'

'Hey Bob, if you want me to, I can take your kid up and show him what flying is about. I know how my plane is maintained and I know that I won't do any stupid tricks in an attempt to impress him.'

Good point. You could just take him up. In fact, that might be what your friend was asking in the first place, without actually asking :)

However I think the time in the discovery flight qualifies for your 40 hours.

Well, yes, I thought of that. Its actually a bit more indirect than my friend's son, but it was a bit of unnecessary info for my intro post. It's my friend who asked if I could talk to his brother-in-law whose son is interested. When I speak to him, I'll offer to take him. I've never spoken to him before.

You might start by telling him that the overall flight training safety record (GA) is excellent, and if the school appears well run he has nothing to worry about.

If it was a one man operation, using his personal plane, I would probably want a couple references, and a glance at the logs. If it is an established school at the airport, I wouldn't worry. JMO

How about giving the advice that they should have a good time with the flight and take a camera along for the views? I get your concerns but what chance does this person taking the intro flight have of enjoying it if they are all ready concerned about the planes airworthiness? Just ask how often a plane fly's per day and how Maintnace works at the school. Better yet, take the person up with you and really give them a good time.

Last edited:
Back