Advice?

Frank Browne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
FB
It seems as though my youngest grand daughter (8 years old) has developed a keen interest in airplanes I'm proud to say. She has been asking me a lot of questions about them whenever I see her. So I had the idea that the next time she comes over for a visit 2 weekends from now, that I would take her out to the airport and show her around. After telling her that I would do that, the thought struck me to maybe treat her to a short flight. Now, you guys I'm sure are aware that I have been inactive for a while now but the idea of a little yoke time for myself at the same time as she gets a little sightseeing is just too much for me to pass up. I mean if I rented an airplane and instructor to give her a little sightseeing trip, why not get some yoke time for myself?
So my question is this. Should I just let the instructor fly for such a trip, or should I use the opportunity to add a little duel time to my logbook? If you were in my shoes, what would ya'll do?

I'd grab some dual time now and then whether she came over or not :) Doesn't have to be with an instructor either.... hang out and find someone to go flying with.

You'll have to decide if you want to let her get a kick out of seeing Grandpa fly, if you want to hang in the back with her and enjoy the flight (and maybe comfort her if she gets scared), or let her sit up front and check out the gadgets. FWIW.... Sean loves going flying, but for him all the cool action is up front. This has led to some serious wrangling between him and his mom while he tries to sweet talk her into the back seat. His success rate at that is somewhat mixed.... Cathy also think the cool seats are up front.

I would hang back and let her fly. She is showing the interest and if you let her at the controls it just might seal the deal for her to stay interested. Sitting in the back and watching you fly is a lot like sitting in the back of the car and watching mom or dad drive.

I think you should also consider that either before or after her visit to go get some dual time for yourself as a reward for being such good grandpa.

Good point Joe. I think I'll go out to the FBO this weekend and ask their advice as well. I'd really like for her to have an enjoyable time and if that means me sitting in the back that's OK with me.

I think the best course would be for you to get current again, and take her up in the right seat with you flying and explaining what's happening. If that won't work, it might be better to order up a "sightseeing" flight, and let the instructor fly the plane while you sit in the back with your granddaughter, pointing out the sights and telling her what's going on. What I would not do is take her for her first flight by strapping her in the back by herself while you and the instructor attend to flying business up front.

smigaldi said:
I would hang back and let her fly. She is showing the interest and if you let her at the controls it just might seal the deal for her to stay interested. Sitting in the back and watching you fly is a lot like sitting in the back of the car and watching mom or dad drive.

I think you should also consider that either before or after her visit to go get some dual time for yourself as a reward for being such good grandpa.

I'd love to do that but currently my budget won't allow it. I think you're right though. She'd be much more excited up front.

Frank:

Will this be her first time in a small GA plane? Sometimes the reality is quite different from the perception. Whenever I'm giving a young first-timer a flight, I keep them short and only in good weather, particularly a non-turbulent day. Part of the first flight always includes a good explaination of the plane and instruments and what may happen during the flight. Getting yourself some dual is a great idea, but it may be better to be in the back with her to ease any anxiety and get her engaged as to what is happening and why. That can be hard to do if you are both tour guide and pilot. If the interest is still there, maybe the next flight is you in the left seat with a CFI.

Gary

Thanks Ron and Gary. Upon further reflection I think ya'll are right. If I decide to treat her to a flight, it would be better to focus on her enjoyment rather than my own. Thanks you guys for the good advice.

Frank Browne said:
it would be better to focus on her enjoyment .

That pretty much sums it all up. If its fun, I suspect you will have a new co-pilot! :yes:

Gary

Frank...the bond between you and your granddaughter just became much stronger. I know because my grandpa was a flight instructor, even though I never had the chance to fly with him. Well yeah I did but I was an infant and we were flying to Nantucket and then back to Westchester.

Also if you know of any women pilots make sure to introduce her to them and let her know that "women fly".

I know some people fly kids and if they're small enough, after attaining cruise flight, bring them up from the back and just sit them on their lap, or stand them in front of the seat that's pushed all the way back, while the other pilot keeps an eye on the traffdic and controls. It seems everyone likes it and they get to log all the time.

Frank Browne said:
It seems as though my youngest grand daughter (8 years old) has developed a keen interest in airplanes I'm proud to say. She has been asking me a lot of questions about them whenever I see her. So I had the idea that the next time she comes over for a visit 2 weekends from now, that I would take her out to the airport and show her around. After telling her that I would do that, the thought struck me to maybe treat her to a short flight. Now, you guys I'm sure are aware that I have been inactive for a while now but the idea of a little yoke time for myself at the same time as she gets a little sightseeing is just too much for me to pass up. I mean if I rented an airplane and instructor to give her a little sightseeing trip, why not get some yoke time for myself?
So my question is this. Should I just let the instructor fly for such a trip, or should I use the opportunity to add a little duel time to my logbook? If you were in my shoes, what would ya'll do?

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
I know some people fly kids and if they're small enough, after attaining cruise flight, bring them up from the back and just sit them on their lap, or stand them in front of the seat that's pushed all the way back, while the other pilot keeps an eye on the traffdic and controls. It seems everyone likes it and they get to log all the time.
This may be legal, but I don't think it's a real safe idea. Kids (and everyone else, for that matter) should be properly secured in an appropriate seat unless there's a real need for them to be unstrapped. Finding an invisible wake, or an up/downdraft, can turn a child into a missile hazard to others as well as seriously injuring the child.

Ron Levy said:
This may be legal, but I don't think it's a real safe idea. Kids (and everyone else, for that matter) should be properly secured in an appropriate seat unless there's a real need for them to be unstrapped. Finding an invisible wake, or an up/downdraft, can turn a child into a missile hazard to others as well as seriously injuring the child.

While neither procedure is risk free, the additional normal exposure to risk to all those seatbelted in aboard the aircraft from the required additional routine landing, taxi and takeoff is greater than that of encountering a forceful enough up/downdraft or wake turbulence of a dangerous magnitude while in cruise flight, in conditions typical of those chosen for an introductory flight.

Plus, on top of the extra flying, there's the additional risks involved in procuring the additional funds for the more time consuming methods to consider, in the overall safety picture.

Last edited:
Frank Browne said:
Thanks Ron and Gary. Upon further reflection I think ya'll are right. If I decide to treat her to a flight, it would be better to focus on her enjoyment rather than my own. Thanks you guys for the good advice.
I totally agree with Ron about not combining her ride with your instruction. If the budget allows, catching some dual to get comfortably current before she arrives and then treating her to a flight on a good morning or late evening (when the air is smooth) with the two of you up front would be best IMO. That way you get to fly and she gets the full effect. Alternatively, have the CFI fly with her up front and you in the back. I definitely wouldn't send an 8 year old up by herself with a CFI stranger to her as she's bound to be far more comfortable with you along regardless of which seat you are in.

Most 8 year olds are a bit too short to see much over the glareshield in many planes so I'd visit the plane beforehand with some cusions or a kid's automotive booster seat to see what would elevate her to a suitable level. She will enjoy and learn more if she can see out the front, but you have to ensure that the seating arangement doesn't interfere with the operation of the yoke/stick. IMO there's no point in making any attempt to allow her to reach the rudder pedals so don't worry about that. I have found that most kids her age are both aprehensive about and capable of controlling an airplane (at a safe altitude) with some guidance. WRT the apprehensive part, make certain to assure her that you can and will prevent her from doing anything that would threaten your safety.

And while you probably already know this, you want to completely avoid any "unusual" maneuvers like stalls, steep turns etc. and skip the demonstration of how well the plane flies with the engine idling. It can be tempting to demonstrate your flying skills to a first time passenger but this is usually a very bad idea. Also be sure to explain that the airplane must tip (bank) in order to turn, just like a bicycle and that such banking will in no way allow the plane to fall out of the sky. That said I'd keep the turns and banks to a minimum and specifically avoid turning around a point of interest on the ground for more than 15-20 seconds at a time.

I have also found that first time pax of almost any age are less apprehensive if you distract them with a continuous monolog about what you are doing at the moment along with point outs of interesting things to look at on the ground from your lofty perch.

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
While neither procedure is risk free, the additional normal exposure to risk to all those seatbelted in aboard the aircraft from the required additional routine landing, taxi and takeoff is greater than that of encountering a forceful enough up/downdraft or wake turbulence of a dangerous magnitude while in cruise flight, in conditions typical of those chosen for an introductory flight.

Plus, on top of the extra flying, there's the additional risks involved in procuring the additional funds for the more time consuming methods to consider, in the overall safety picture.
I haven't a clue what he just said.

Frank Browne said:

Either get some dual and take her up yourself, or forget the stick time and let her have the right seat.

Ron Levy said:
I haven't a clue what he just said.

Cap'n Ron, it explains why the additional flying involved for a dedicated intro flight is actually slightly riskier, more time consuming, and costlier when appropriate factors are taken into consideration.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Cap'n Ron, it explains why the additional flying involved for a dedicated intro flight is actually slightly riskier, more time consuming, and costlier when appropriate factors are taken into consideration.
Riskier than having unbelted kids loose in the plane? Not on my watch.

Back